Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Don't Laugh

I just started building a registry set of Date Morgans, I am on a serious budget so don't laugh at my collection. Its is under Lewis collection. Anyway lookind forward to building the set and learning stuff from the forum.
AL

Comments

• RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭✭
    We all start someplace. Welcome to the boards!
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Lewis Collection

What's there to laugh at?
    That is a nice collection, just need more dates.

We all can't affors MS66/67 coins. image
  • garsmithgarsmith Posts: 5,894 ✭✭
    Welcome to the world of Morgan's

By the way the link in your sig line doesn't work.

• Always room for another Morgan collector. Welcome!image
  • al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭
    The link works when I try it from another computer? Thanks for the welcome.
    AL
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the link works fine for me, too. You've got a very nice start to a great set. This is nothing to laugh at either as the previous poster said. All the coins in your collection would probably finance a couple of MS67s, maybe. I would much rather have your collection than a single or two MS67 Morgans. Good luck on completeing the set. image
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lewis Collection

What's there to laugh at?
    That is a nice collection, just need more dates.

We all can't affors MS66/67 coins. image >>

Exactly...whats there to laugh at. This is really a nice set. Alot nicer then my Morgan set which currently houses NO Morgans!

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • really nice, i like that 82!
  • Nice to have you on board. Very nice coins. I've been working on my Morgan collection
    for 4-5 yrs. and only need 6 to finish. The forums is a great place to learn about coins.
    You should consider purchasing "The Comprehensive Catalog and Encyclopedia of Morgan
    & Peace Dollars" by Van Allen & Mallis for your personal library it is great book of knowledge.
    Happy Hunting.

Headsplitter2
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Don't fret my friend, It's coin collecting, it doesn't have to be perfect.
    Thanks again for the welcome, I have a 1878 s ms64 to add to my collection and a few pictures to put on. Luckily my wife makes Necklaces and handmade jewelery and her picture taking is good since most everything she sells is from her web site "theladyinthemoon.com"
    Anyway thanks again and I look forward to participating in this forum.
    AL
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just my 2¢ worth of advice when you finally wrestle with the 1895... I think the S coin is better to own than the O.
    When in doubt, don't.
    Actually I am looking at a few 1895's now, I see the price is very similar in the grade I am considering "EF". Is the strike better and which coin am I better off with in the future as far as any appreciation that might happen?
    thanks in advance
    AL
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My experience collecting 1895-S (yes, I collect one silly date) is that 1895-Os are all over the place. Higher grade examples are not well struck and they don't have much lustre. (Ditto for the Mint State examples.)

Most 1895-S, on the other hand, were at least semi-prooflike when new and had dynamite lustre. They are also much less common out in the marketplace than the pops say they should be. (I'm probably a teensy part of that problem.) IMO there is no question that the 1895-S is the more attractive and better struck coin, and the appreciation potential is greater.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    Whats to laugh at?? Nice beginning to a great set!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • sweetwillietsweetwilliet Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭
    <<<<<<My experience collecting 1895-S (yes, I collect one silly date) is that 1895-Os are all over the place. Higher grade examples are not well struck and they don't have much lustre. (Ditto for the Mint State examples.)

Most 1895-S, on the other hand, were at least semi-prooflike when new and had dynamite lustre. They are also much less common out in the marketplace than the pops say they should be. (I'm probably a teensy part of that problem.) IMO there is no question that the 1895-S is the more attractive and better struck coin, and the appreciation potential is greater. >>>>>

Absolutely, the 1895 o is probably 10 times more common than the 1895 s, but their prices are very similar. My 95-o and 95-s are similar in grade, but I like my 95-s much more. Hope you can find a good one!!
    Listen. Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
    Will’sProoflikes
  • etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭
    Looks to me that you are putting together a nice set of Morgans.

Congrats on the coins assembled so far. image

-------------

etexmike
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭

I do that everytime someone says "don't laugh"
  • MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    I really like the set in that grade. They're relatively inexpensive and you still get great looking coins. I have a War Nickel set in MS64 that I'm almost finished with that's a lot of fun. Limiting yourself to a grade adds a little fun to the search.

One of my other sets is the Merc set in my sig line. My goal is to complete the set with rattler holders which is going to take quite some time.

Millertime
  • fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice. I think you have a real nice set going.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,515 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lewis,,,,,nice collection and only one clinker that I can see......the MS65!
    I thought at first you were going for all 64's and that would be nice, too!

bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
    I had a chance to get that 65 at a decent price, at first I was going for an all 64 set, BUT there are a few years that there is noway I can afford that grade so I am gonna get the best I can afford with each coin.
    AL