Home Metal Detecting

I took advantage of the warm weather too...

Went back to the river and stumbled my way through some of the worst possible places anyone in there right mind would refuse to go.
I've got scratches all over and a few bruises but I did find a first for me.

I had set 3 goals to shoot for in 2006 , tho they were meager ones by many hunters standards.
1. Find an IHC. ( found 2)
2. Find a 25c. or 50c. Barber. (hasn't happened yet...maybe tomorrow?)
3. Find a Buffalo nickel. (got it!)

Even tho I've found one or two items this year that eclipse those 3 goals , I was very pleased to find the Buff.

HH
Thanks for looking!
Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
imageimage

Comments

• kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Nice find on the nickelimage It isn't a three legger is it?-that be just about the ultimate buff nickel metal detector find.
  • A buffalo nickel is a respectable find. You Buff still has some nice details. Congrats on achieving and exceeding your goals and more.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>2. Find a 25c. or 50c. Barber. (hasn't happened yet...maybe tomorrow?) >>

Maybe, but you have a Seated quarter. So far I'm 3 for 1 on Barbers versus Seated quarters, so you're on the right track!

PS- congrats on the Buffalo milestone. They seldom come out of the ground looking nice- yours is about par for the course. It actually has a bit sharper details than the average dug coin, too, obviously.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I went back this morning and found a very shallow and extremely corroded 1909 IHC.
    I simply swept the leaves away with my foot and saw it just laying there.

No way I'll ever know if it was a "S" mint coin obviously.
    It's not pretty but I'll take it! image

imageimage
  • Nice GR, you just never know what's going to be on the surface!
    (my 1836 bust half dime found earlier this year was found the same way...
    kicked the surface and there it was)
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great post GR!
    Congrats on achieving another one of your goals!
    (and on adding to your count for another one - you're well on your way for a date set of those IHCs now!)

That's an interesting bunch of round and semi-round objects you've got there. That ring looks like a prime candidate for a find that could create a image for a second, followed by image.

Soo.... have you set goals for 2007 yet? You'll need a few more on top of the Barber 25c/50c that I assume is carried forward to next year.. image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Nice going on your first buff GR!! Maybe next yer we will both find that barber half.HH,Tom
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>some of the worst possible places anyone in there right mind would refuse to go >>

Where's that drool iconimage.

WTG on the Buffalo!
  • Thanks guys.

Zot I haven't given much thought for goals in 2007.
    I guess I'll take whatever manages to come my way! image
    imageimage
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Zot I haven't given much thought for goals in 2007.
    I guess I'll take whatever manages to come my way! image >>

The strategy for always having a perfectly completed to-do list.... whenever you find something nice, note it as a goal and tick it off image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I moved down here in 1994, I had plans to stay only two years, and my goals were:

1) find a large cent

2) find a piece of Spanish colonial silver

3) find a King George copper

I have accomplished #1 three times over, #2 six times, and #3 twice. However, only #1 and #2 were accomplished within my original two-year timespan.

My current goals, some of which should be reasonably doable:

1) find something from the first decade of the 1800s, or something from the 1840s- those are two decades I don't have yet

2) find a mintmarked Buffalo nickel (I have a type 1 but have never dug a mintmarked Buff so far)

3) find a 1930s Washington (I don't think I've ever gotten one from the 1960s either, come to think of it)

4) the one everybody wants- to find a silver dollar or a gold coin- but I will settle on accomplishing those one day... eventually

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.