Home Metal Detecting
Options

Turns out I was early with my year in review post after all :-)

ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

I was indeed too early with my year 2006 summary post... image
Being able to detect in Finland this time of year is truly exceptional. There's no snow, and daytime temperatures are holding just slightly above the freezing point.
Here we go...

Mandatory critter picture, taken enroute

Today's site was some distance away, and I was already rapidly losing light when I got there (the days are very short this far up north right now..).
When I found an intresting looking area and started detecting, the very first signal I got was a really nice one; high VDI and five inches down.
Obviously I dug it, and was delighted to recover an interesting silver ring.

Here I've just dug it. (as you can see, I'm using a laundry bag from Ireland to put the dirt on.. image )

A wider shot. In the middle of the woods... but there are some old footpaths here image

It's a silver ring (0.813), with an interesting design in the shape of a belt. The buckle part is quite detailed.
The rightmost symbol in the hallmark (T4) is the date stamp. T4 stands for 1900. image
(it looks like my white balance is off, but this is actually the color it is - a bit yellowish)

Self-portrait! image (The light was getting really bad, so I had to bump up my camera to maximum sensitivity - therefore the grainy picture)
*inhaling helium for appropriate sound..*
Look at me - I've certainly been eating enough to make it through a cold winter. Round like a ball! image

In more open areas one could clearly see that it wasn't summer anymore..

I found nothing for the next hour, but then stumbled onto a very promising area. A flat area with young trees (a few decades old at the most). This was also an elevated area, and there was water nearby. Surely there would be some coins here...

...and indeed there were. It proved to be my best ever pre-1917 coppper coins hunt, where I dug no less than 6 of these coins (never found more than 1 on the same hunt before).
All were rather deep, the most shallow one was about 5 inches and the rest around 7-8 inches. I got two 5-penniä coins and four large 10-penniä coins (of which I had only dug a total of one before)

Unfortunately the soil was rather brutal here, and most coins were in bad shape. I couldn't see the dates, but was hoping that they wouldn't all be Nikolai II-era coins. I'd never dug an earlier type (Alexander II or Alexander III) of either coin..

Back home I looked at the coins. I could see the types on five out of six:
Nikolai II
Nikolai II
Nikolai II
Nikolai II
(uggh..) this one is in terrible shape... but... Nikolai II it is.

The last one (a 10 penniä coin that appeared to be in the best shape of the whole bunch otherwise) had too much crust on it to tell.
When it cleaned up a bit I got a pleasant surprise by seeing A III on the obverse! Ha! A new type for the dug type set!

Finnish 10 penniä 1891 (Alexander III) (in Zot OilView)
These are not that common, mintage of this one is 295,000.

Here are the other five. I'll definitely be going back to this place. There just has to be some silver there too! image

Thanks for looking! Happy hunting!!

-Z
Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

Comments

• Options
    Great pics and finds.

• Options
    wtg zot!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice pics and post Zot!
    Love the ring!

Like you said there has got to be some old silver lying around!

I got out for a while today myself.
    Man, I wish the woods I hunted looked as pleasant as the one you have photographed.
    Remember this!?

I stumbled my way for a few hours but, I did achieve a minor goal I had set for the year.
    I'll have to post it.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Man, I wish the woods I hunted looked as pleasant as the one you have photographed.
    Remember this!? >>

That's hardcore terrain for sure...
    BUT at least your roots are probably not as thick as mine.. My pic looks like very easy digging terrain, but there are roots everywhere. Several roots in every deeper hole. Some holes feel like there's more root than soil in them image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay, Zot!

Boy, you sure put on the winter fat, eh? Hope you ain't gonna go into hibernation yet, though- it looks like our Silver Squirrel is still finding stuff!

You're a ring-monster, y'know. I have never seen anybody dig so many cool hallmarked rings.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Nice find's Zot,that ring is really nice looking.HH,Tom