Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

NGC -VS- PCGS Wisconsin Leaf? Crossover?? Help needed

HI ALL:

I have a set of the 2004 Wisconsin Leaf High Low Error Quarters NGC 67 Grade. I was thinking of trying a crossover to PCGS. What are the chances both coins make the grade? PCGS Price Guide lists this set as $12,000 per quarter where the NGC sets are only selling for about $5,000 - $10,000 a set on e-bay. Should I try to crossover? Will the NGC Prices catch up to the PCGS ones in time? Does anyone have any other price guides on these coins? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

Comments

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS is the gold standard in the market now, and I don't see NGC seriously challenging that in the near future, so far as p;rice and market demand are concerned.

By all means, try to cross them. Nothing to lose but the grading fees.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PCGS-MS67's - pop 1 per coin
    NGC-MS67's - 600+ total coins with (10) MS68's

I wonder if any of those (10) MS68 coins could cross to PCGS-MS67. There certainly could be a few. I look forward to seeing them in the years ahead when, and if, they come up for auction.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As Wondercoin pointed out, there is a reason why the NGC coins go for much lower money - the pops.

Do you really think it is as easy as submitting your $5-10k set and having it magically cross to a $24k set? Looks like easy money - $100 in grading fees for a $14k return. But they are the same coins in different plastic. Is the plastic really worth $14k more? Do you think they are PCGS MS67 quality?

If you buy lottery tickets, I would give it a try instead of participating in the lottery.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to see a coin in hand. To generalize on any coin going from one house to the other and keeping the same grade or dropping a grade is kind of naive. Have a few numismatists in your area look at it. Buy a regular Wisconsin in MS67 in a PCGS holder and compare.
    Each coin stands on it's own merit. The prices are strong because there is great interest and a renewed sense of urgency to get in the game. I am kind of sad I didn't keep any for me image. You can be proud with those 67's even in NGC holders, but I think your stronger prices would be to have them in another holder.
    Oh that crack out game is insane. I would not crack themout , either.
    Don't go by opinions here, but by comparative measurements and opinions from local experts. If they say it has a shot, or you see it just might, I would highly recommend sending it in for "re-Grade" And the best part, it's a VARIETY so you don't have to pay the forty bucks like you would if it were an "error". image

Welcome to the boards. From the looks of your name, is this what brought you into numismatics or back into it ? image

I'm Joe.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your question and comments about modern quarters sound identical to what I have experienced with NGC vs. PCGS Jefferson nickels:

I have never been able to cross an NGC Jeff (either in or out of the holder) at the same grade at PCGS. A fellow Jeff collector friend has tried about 30 NGC-67 Jeffs, both in and out of the holder, and has gotten two into PCGS-67 holders. I think he's had three come back in PCGS-65 holders.

My message here -- I have decided it is a waste of money, time and hope trying to get NGC-graded Jeffs into holders at the same grade so I have stopped trying. It would not surprise me at all if the same were true of modern quarters.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a regular Wisconsin in MS67 in a PCGS holder and compare

Not all that easy to do - the fellow who owns the high leaf PCGS-MS67 (last I heard if I am not mistaken) was asking something North of $25,000 for it image
    The PCGS-MS67 low leaf coin is in my 1932-date Washington quarter variety collection.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Chances are slim they would cross but with the cost benefit its worth an attempt and you will have an answer.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Buy a regular Wisconsin in MS67 in a PCGS holder and compare

Not all that easy to do - the fellow who owns the high leaf PCGS-MS67 (last I heard if I am not mistaken) was asking something North of $25,000 for it image
    The PCGS-MS67 low leaf coin is in my 1932-date Washington quarter variety collection.

Wondercoin >>

Hi Wondercoin,
    I suppose an MS67 might not be easy to score, but I did say obtain a REGULAR Wisconsin, not a high or low leaf image in MS67....to compare to his 67's in the NGC holder.

Joe
  • Options
    Has anyone here tried to crossover a 67 NGC to PCGS with these quarters?

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    What is the value of this set of upper and lower leafs in a NGC holder graded 67? Thanks