Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

What is the deal with the 2006-d Lincoln Satin Finish coins?

DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking it was getting about time to add the 2006 coins to my set. MS69's have been fairly easy to come by for the last few years and have been inexpensive. Apparently no so with the 2006-d satin finish. I saw one offered on ebay for $1,200.00 and almost fell out of my chair, then I decided to check the PCGS pop reports and see what the availability is.

2006p -
MS68 - 560
MS69 - 583
MS70 - 17

2006d -
MS68 - 532
MS69 - 20
MS70 - 0

For comparison, here is 2005-d
MS68 - 546
MS69 - 226
MS70 - 2

What gives? Is it really that hard to make a 2006-d in MS69?
Doug

Comments

• I can sympathize. I used to want one too.
    I guess the Denver mint isn't striking high quality coins this year.
  • Hi Doug, e-mail sent.

Dan
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the Dimes its in reverse.

The '06-D are plentiful and the '06-P's are REALLY hard to find. This is the case with both the SF & BS. image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Since we've been a major PCGS submitter for 2006SF, I'll give you our results: We've made only (3) 2006 D 1c PCGS MS69RD SF and (3) 2006 P 1c PCGS MS70RD SF out of 1000's of mint sets.

The population report is telling you that the P-70 and the D-69 are in the same relative rarity and it's absolutely true as of today's pop report. To be frank, we've received a bit of sticker shock when asking $600 for a D-69SF when we can readily sell the P-70 for $900. When everyone realizes the rarity of the D coin, they'll feel fortunate over their purchase price especially early on when they were lapping them up in open auction for $100-$130 early on.

We're currently sold out on both of these coins, but we're not done submitting for them, so we'll likely have 1 or 2 show up sooner or later.

Hope this helps,

Seth
    Seth
  • I've had my 2006-D MS69RD SF since September, thanks to Grandam. I thought I was taking a risk and paying a premium for it ($130) at the time but apparently it was a great decision. Early bird gets the worm I guess. image
  • WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole Satin vs Buisness strikes vs value is crazy right now. But the buisness strikes are still the ones to watch.

WS
    Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Toby,
    That certainly was a great buy. I still need a 2006D SF example. I was just gonna wait til the population
    went higher and then score a cheaper one. Whoops! image

RegistryNut

• << <i>The whole Satin vs Buisness strikes vs value is crazy right now. But the buisness strikes are still the ones to watch.

WS >>

no kidding I have MS67RD Circ strike sets up on the bay for $75 for both and I sell 1 every couple of weeks. the D is a tough coin.

• << <i>The whole Satin vs Buisness strikes vs value is crazy right now. But the buisness strikes are still the ones to watch. WS >>

I do not disagree with you here, however I wish to point out that there are how many billions of 1c business strikes versus only about 1 million Satin Finish each year. The difference is if you're investing in a low pop business strike, they can more readily be found and replicated in top grade. If you were to search mint sets, you'd be hard pressed to move the population very much due to the difficulty in finding a large quantity of mint sets (especially once the mint sells out) and the costs involved. Of course it is very conceivable to run out of mint sets if there are only 1 million.

The reason we don't do many business strike searches is not because they're tough to do or find material, but rather that it's easy to move the population report anytime you want, hence the scattered market prices. If a collector or a dealer "invests" in searching raw coins or buying already graded recent year business strikes, they run a big risk of losing money due to the relative ease of others moving the population report quickly and lowering values at a whim. Basically, if we searched business strikes like we search Satin Finish, the top grade business strike prices could cut 50-75% very quickly. So always remember that the population report is greatly affected by how hard everyone searches for the top coins. --> The reason the top grades for recent year coins @ NGC have relatively low populations. It is not because they're harder to make than a PCGS in the same grade...

It's a lot of work to look at business strikes, but it's fun & cheap enough that everyone wants to do it. Business strikes are the heart of coin collecting, so they're great! My note here is intended to be of help towards understanding the rarity/supply fundamentals involved.

Merry Christmas!!!
    Seth
  • DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Toby,
    That certainly was a great buy. I still need a 2006D SF example. I was just gonna wait til the population
    went higher and then score a cheaper one. Whoops! image

RegistryNut >>

Well, that was my strategy too. Guess I'll keep waiting....
    Doug
  • SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Well, I got my 2006D satin finish in my 2006 mint set and my 2006D "business strike" in a 2X2 holder I aquired for 25 cents at a local show. Both coins look "great" to me and they will sit in my complete collection. I sincerely doubt I would spend the money with PCGS to get them holdered, but you never know. To my mind, I now own these coins and they are part of my uncirculated collection. That's all I need to make me happy. Happy Holidays everyone. Steveimage