Home Sports Talk
Options

espn's worst broadcasters

Here's my votes, in no particular order.

Stephen A.Smith his act is getting very tired.

Tino Martinez ............total robot, announcing things like he's reading a hostage note

Mike Torico ............no substance.......he's just there

Rachele Nichols ...............makes me nervous just watching her....lay off the make up!

The whole NBA gang..............can't you buy out TNT?

Tony Reali ......... hey everyone............look at me!

Jeremy Schaap............ super generic white boy...my Dad was famous...speed it up a little

Dick Vitale...........see Stephen Smith

votefor yours tonight!

Comments

• Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭
    I respectfully request you add Michael Irvin to the list.

Absolutely can't stand him.

Also can't stand the ESPN woman who says "and just a little crush" EVERY time a guy hits a homerun. Puke.

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    The fact that Stuart Scott isn't on your list negates your credibility. JK

Smith is unbelievably arrogant to the point I want to kick my TV just so I can imagine it is his face

Rachel Nichols seems like the kind of girl that slept with the entire basketball team...at once

Dick Vitale - annoying, but I don't watch B-Ball so, whatever

I wish Crazy Eye Stuart Scott would hitch a ride home with Cokey McIrvin on the annoying and fired bus

JMO
    Travis
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Crazy Eye Stuart Scott would hitch a ride home with Cokey McIrvin on the annoying and fired bus

Tee-hee. Best line I've read here in months. image
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Rachel Nichols is a robot. Her voice in monotone and her eyes barely blink or move. Personally I don't really care for the chick reporters except for Sportscenter. The most painful stories to watch are the human interest crap ESPN forces on us.

To me the worst personality (no one ESPN is a journalist, even the jounrnalist) is Stuart Scott. I stopped watching the Monday pre, halftime, and post game shows.

The best pre-game I like is CBS. Shannon Sharpe is great and JB keep its it moving. The Fox show is not as good without JB. Plus I can't stand Joe Buck and his arrogance.
    Mike
  • Options

Rachele Nichols - shes hot!

John Kruk is awful.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats funny how we all see things different. I like Irvin and think CBS pre game is the worst. Rachael is weird looking and makes funny facial gestures with her mouth as she pronouces different words. I still like fox, even if Buck is there to mess it up.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Stuart Scott, Micheal Irvin, Suzy "I look like a man" Kolber (Why did Joe want to kiss her anyway?

• Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    Stephen Stupid A** Smith, The Ebonics king.

They should get some ot thier radio personalities to do tv as well.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, watch it about Dickey V! I love it when he announces games. I love his childish enthusiasm.

Berman gets on my nerves.

On the radio side - Colin Cowherd is sort of different with me. He is very polarizing. About half the time, I want to kick the radio in because I disagree with him so vehemently. Then the other half, I agree with him totally.

Shane

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Michael Irvin hands down ... not a cowboy thing, more like a stupid, overannunciating, biased, coke ridden, idiot type of thing.

I met Suzy Kolber at the draft two years ago - much nicer looking in person.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Most biased award would be hands down Mark May.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Michael Irvin, by far, is the absolute worst.

Rachel Nichols, on the other hand, is hot image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Stephen A.Smith his act is getting very tired.

If someone even mentions the NCAA watch his face boil up in anger. image

He is all about "attitude". Sometimes he had interesting guests on his show, too often he tended to veer off subject.
  • Options
    Nobody has mentioned Chris Berman?

"He could go ALL THE WAY". image
  • Options
    Michael Irvin, by far, is the absolute worst.

Anyone notice on "NFL Countdown" that when Irvin starts to talk that often times the other people on the show
    start to cringe? Sort of a "what stupid thing is he going to say this time" expression.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care to listen to any announcers outside of Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo (Red Sox, NESN). I do like to see Erin Andrews working a game for ESPN. I use the volume button on the remote control frequently, it helps to drown out the drivel.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725

<< <i>I don't care to listen to any announcers outside of Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo (Red Sox, NESN). I do like to see Erin Andrews working a game for ESPN. I use the volume button on the remote control frequently, it helps to drown out the drivel. >>

I couldn't agree more with you on both Remy/Orsillo and Erin Andrews. image

I've developed a hatred for Chris Berman . . . and that stupid "Jacked Up!" thing they're doing these days. Seriously, why do they have to screech "Jacked Up" over and over? The hits say it all, don't they?

Stuart Scott is in love with himself.

Jeff "Cowboy" Brantley is worse than Tim McCarver.

Rachel Nichols makes me wish that women were still expected to do nothing but cook men meals and "multiply" . . . and not because I'd want her to do either for me, but because then I'd never have to see her ugly mug and listen to her pronounce every sentence like she just heard something extremely important straight from the mouth of God.

And this is a little off topic, but I absolutely hate that ESPN insists on having some actor spend the entire 2nd quarter in the booth during Monday Night Football. If I wanted to spend a half hour listening to Jim Belushi be not funny I'd watch "According to Jim". But I don't.

• Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭
    I agree that Stuart Scott and Michael Irvin are 2 of the worst.

I like Rachel Nichols. She's nice to look at. I have never heard one thing she said.

I liked Dan Patrick on Sportscenter, but he is brutal on the radio. He repeats thigs too often and belabors nearly every point to where I want to disagree with him.

I liked Olbermann before he got all political and left.

The past generations of guys were FAR superior to now and even though some of them are still with ESPN, but less visible.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    Never liked Stuart Scott

The best pre-game I like is CBS. Shannon Sharpe is great and JB keep its it moving.

Shannon Sharpe sounds like he's talking with a handfull of marbles in his mouth . . Tough listening to him

I actually like Steven A Smith and being a Cowboy fan of course i like Irvin
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shannon speaking style can be tough, but he has some of the best one-liners.

The new NFL commish came on the set the first week of the season and signed a football for Marino, Shannon told the commish to watch out because Dan is going to sell the ball on ebay.

Plus I still love the DeAngelo Williams is more like Dionne Warwick than Deion Sanders blast he got off last year.
    Mike
  • Options
    Chris Berman Chris Berman and Chris Berman.

He is a buffoon who makes everything broadcast about himself. His nicknames are not clever and he adds nothing positive to any broadcast. He was at ESPN at the beginning when they could only get the lowest people on the sportscasting totum pole and he has stayed.

Second, Stu Scott. How tired is the "dog and homey" routine?
  • Options
    How about the Monday night football team in general, the worst ever in my opinion.

Theisman is horrible, Kornheiser is an idiot.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    Rachel Nichols doesn't blink!!! She freaks me out.

I don't know, she must be one of those love her or hate her people.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rachel Nichols doesn't blink!!! She freaks me out.

I don't know, she must be one of those love her or hate her people. >>

Maybe. She does absolutely nothing for me. Erin Andrews, on the other hand...
  • Options
    Rachel may not blink and her voice is very.. um... monotoned (?)

But dang, she's great on the eyes image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Somebody should start a poll on who is better looking, Erin Andrews or Rachel Nichols.
  • Options
    I offer a solution: how to mute the announcers
  • Options
    He's not on ESPN but I was just reminded that Bryant Gumble IS the worst play-by-play announcer, ever.
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭
    Chris Berman act has been old for about 10 years. Please retire.

There's a guy on ESPN news that looks like a vampire. He's on there all the time, but they don't even acknowledge him on espn.com

I don't think I'd call Rachael Nichols hot. Erin Andrews is hot. Rachael Nichols is just odd looking. I've never seen a hairline so low that she basically doesn't have a forehead.

Funny piece on her:
    Doable?
    Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i> He's not on ESPN but I was just reminded that Bryant Gumble IS the worst play-by-play announcer, ever. >>

Hands down.
    Heck, even Richard Simmons thinks Gumble's voice is annoying!

I cannot believe there is even a discussion over Rachel Nichols or Erin Andrews!

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stephen Smith is yelling across the airwaves now. Something has gotten him wound up.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

The people who think Rachael Nichols is hot googled the name and saw pics of the other Rachael Nichols , the actress .

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why are we bringing up 12 year old threads?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:

If its ok to bump your own stale threads , then everything is fair game

• Options

@craig44 said:

If it was single malt, you wouldn't be kvetching.

• Options

The correct answer is , all of them

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

ALL OF THE ABOVE

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@craig44 said:

If its ok to bump your own stale threads , then everything is fair game

Ohhh s***!

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

15 year is way better actually

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

RIP Stuart Scott. Most of the personalities listed in the original post have done pretty well for themselves, especially Mike Tirico. I can't listen to Stephen A. The one I can't figure out how he has a job in broadcasting is Michael Wilbon. I wonder in 12 more years if ESPN will still be around, if so in what format?

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 12 years, of sooner, ESPN will morph into ESSCPPN (EntertainmentSportsProgressiveSocialChangeProgammingNetwork).

Viewership will continue its downward slide to the point that it will seek and qualify for tax payer funding (like NPR and Public Television). The broadcast teams who host the networks flagship programs will, as a condition of receiving tax payer funding, be required to change their on air performances to reflect the nuanced, erudite, elite and sophisticated style of the persons who host NPR radio broadcasts.

:)>:)

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops.

I meant ESPSCPN, not ESSCPPN.

My bad.

• Options

Michigan was a good poster here. Shows that he has been off since 2006.

Time flies, fellas.