Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Israel Coins

I picked up a gem proof 1967 Victory gold coin for a little above melt from a dealer. For a country with such historical significance ( and continues) it seems like there would be more demand for these coins?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    The market for Israeli coins is about as hot as the South Pole. You can routinely buy them for fractions of their Krause value, and then won't be able to give them away when it's time to sell.

I must be one of the dumb ones, because I enjoy collecting them. I've got a Dansco album for the older types (pre-1960) which I'm trying to fill with BU specimens. image
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too. Amazing isn't it!

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The market for Israeli coins is about as hot as the South Pole. You can routinely buy them for fractions of their Krause value, and then won't be able to give them away when it's time to sell.

I must be one of the dumb ones, because I enjoy collecting them. I've got a Dansco album for the older types (pre-1960) which I'm trying to fill with BU specimens. image >>

Some of the designs are really great and most are quite modern. Even the rare
    coins seem to go for a song. I especially like the low mintage circulating issues,
    but much of the commemorative stuff is low mintage and available for close to spot
    value. How can you go wrong?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The market for Israeli coins is about as hot as the South Pole. You can routinely buy them for fractions of their Krause value, and then won't be able to give them away when it's time to sell.

I must be one of the dumb ones, because I enjoy collecting them. I've got a Dansco album for the older types (pre-1960) which I'm trying to fill with BU specimens. image >>

I know a dealer with boxes of Israeli commemorative coins. While I was searching through all of his miscellaneous stuff in search of British commonwealth mint sets and commems he told me he'd give me a great deal just to take the stuff off his hands (he'd had it since the 1970's I believe). I don't know if he still has all of those coins, but I imagine they're still not exactly eagerly sought after. I thought some were pretty cool (especially one in an olive wood box).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    Why are these coins so cheap and so little sought-after?
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options

<< <i>Why are these coins so cheap and so little sought-after? >>

Don't know, could be a religious or political thing, or maybe....the emperor is wearing no clothes!image

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    I too think that this is a very underappreciated series and am not sure why it is so unpopular unless it has something to do with the politics of the mideast.

While I'm more of an accumulator of the series, I especially like the pre 1970 commems (and have a proof and unc set) and also have filled the Dansco album with very nice, and inexpensive, coins. A number of the earlier medals have also found their way to me and the silver ones seem to pop up near melt too.

One pretty big negative is that much of the earlier original packaging contained PVC so if you gotta have the original holders it presents a problem. Its also a takes a bit to find the earlier pieces without some PVC impact. Still, its a historic and well designed series and when you can get a nice seafaring 5L for a couple of hundred bucks, or later pieces at melt what's not to like?

imageimageimageimage
    Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

I've always just assumed that Israelis have very little interest in collecting their
    coins. With most countries there are large numbers living here but Israel is a new
    country so that doesn't really apply. The coins are made mostly for Americans
    and they are well enough marketed that demand is swamped even with small mintages.

Some day this will probably all turn around but it might not be in our lifetimes.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭

Could it be that since the inscriptions aren't in Roman or Cyrillic letters that there isn't much of a collector base? If few people can indentify the dates and legends, I figure few will collect them.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    farthingfarthing Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭
    I also believe that Israel minted too many commemoratives and special series.
    R.I.P. Wayne, Brad
    Collecting:
    Conder tokens
    19th & 20th Century coins from Great Britain and the Realm
  • Options

<< <i>

Could it be that since the inscriptions aren't in Roman or Cyrillic letters that there isn't much of a collector base? If few people can indentify the dates and legends, I figure few will collect them. >>

These things are a pain to date. I always have to look them up.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    I am a buyer of Israel 5 lirot, and 25 lirot, silver commems from the 50's, 60,s and 70 's at 15% over spot. Must be original uncirculated.

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I have at least 1 each of the following Israeli sets........... anyone know their approximate value and/or have any interest in purchasing them?:

1967 "Coins of Israel - - Jerusalem Specimen Set"
    (turquoise & white rectangular paper holder w/6 coins in a circle under plastic. 1/5/10/25 Agorot, 1/2 & 1 Lira)

1969 "Coins of Israel 1948-1969 - - Jerusalem Specimen Set"
    (rust-colored rectangular paper holder w/6 coins in a circle under plastic. 1/5/10/25 Agorot, 1/2 & 1 Lira)

1971 "Coins of Israel - - Official Mint Set" (Special Mint-marked set #145374 is the one in front of me)
    (long, thin pinkish rectangular box with plastic holder w/6 coins in a row. 1/5/10/25 Agorot, 1/2 & 1 Lira)

- - Daveimage
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    IMO, numismatically in some ways Israel is just a better version of the Isle of Man. The currency issues are for the most part abundant and the commems, while many are quite nice, are just too numerous.

I don't think politics or script has much to do with demand. They're just the same as any other producer of modern coinage. Though you do see more folks taking a passing interest in their different series than, say, Egypt (which also has a funny script and an over abundance of commems, many quite nice)
  • Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Before anyone gets to thinking I'm bashing modern junk, here's my silver 67 Victory image

(Can't let a good thread go without pics! image )
  • Options

<< <i>I have at least 1 each of the following Israeli sets........... anyone know their approximate value and/or have any interest in purchasing them?:

1967 "Coins of Israel - - Jerusalem Specimen Set"
    (turquoise & white rectangular paper holder w/6 coins in a circle under plastic. 1/5/10/25 Agorot, 1/2 & 1 Lira)

1969 "Coins of Israel 1948-1969 - - Jerusalem Specimen Set"
    (rust-colored rectangular paper holder w/6 coins in a circle under plastic. 1/5/10/25 Agorot, 1/2 & 1 Lira)

1971 "Coins of Israel - - Official Mint Set" (Special Mint-marked set #145374 is the one in front of me)
    (long, thin pinkish rectangular box with plastic holder w/6 coins in a row. 1/5/10/25 Agorot, 1/2 & 1 Lira)

- - Daveimage >>

Unfortunately, this is a good example of the problem with Israeli coins. I've seen those sets sell for as little as $2 each, though their book value is higher. The supply definitely exceeds demand.
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    The designs have never really interested me. Maybe they are a little modern looking for me.
  • Options

<< <i>The designs have never really interested me. Maybe they are a little modern looking for me. >>

That's an interesting perception, because most of the earlier coins had designs that were taken directly from ancient Jewish money of the Hasmonean, first revolt and Bar Kochba periods. The more recent commems definitely trend toward modernistic styles, though.
  • Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    Do I hear $2.50?...................image

- - Daveimageimage
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>The designs have never really interested me. Maybe they are a little modern looking for me. >>

That's an interesting perception, because most of the earlier coins had designs that were taken directly from ancient Jewish money of the Hasmonean, first revolt and Bar Kochba periods. The more recent commems definitely trend toward modernistic styles, though. >>

Actually, I am not familiar with early Israeli issues. Got some pics?
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dating issue could be a pain..but not that bad......so is the widely available/mintages...most of the observations here are correct...I don't think its a political or religous issue...also the PVC issue is a major con indeed - last time I played in the '70's they were gooey and leaking image

I do like the earliest issues the most as Zohar posted above, and as newsman pointed out; based on ancient judean motifs...

The '48 25 Mil is nice in hand especially in UNC condition. I had one many years ago. There are very few known in MS/UNC (only 2-3 graded over 62?) .

Personally I like the way tougher Mandate (Palestine) series from 1927-1946(7) image NO!, I don't have the 1947 Mil!
    Me thinks someone just kept a few samples in his/her pocket when they melted the whole darn shipment image

Edited for spelling, and more info image
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a long time, but probably no longer, a lot of the commems went to non-collectors and unsophisticated collectors that were looking to help support Israel. That led to a unending flood of coins in the aftermarket, which continues to taint the market. Fifty years from now, after a lot of the coins have been melted and a new generation of collectors takes a fresh look at the market, things will be very different. But for now, I think the best "play" is the circulating issues. I think the current generation can learn to love them, in far less than 50 years.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I have seen many many Israeli commems melted, and I have only been in the coin business for six years. Bidask I will keep your info; if you are willing to pay +15% plus postage I can funnel you a lot of pieces. Are original untouched BU and Proof in the original packaging acceptable? As someone stated, this means covered with PVC.
  • Options
    GritsManGritsMan Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭
    As interesting as the country and its history are, I too have to admit that I find the designs very bland. The best are the more traditional themes, but the modern "jet age" designs make the coins look like cheap junk. I remember when I was there that many of the coins were made out of aluminum or other cheap metals, and that added to a negative perception. I do wish they'd rectify this, but their designers seem to be a bit inbred on the creativity side.
    Winner of the Coveted Devil Award June 8th, 2010
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree. Being Israeli I can say the sole appreciation I have is for the earlier year design (1948-1957) which is limited in itself.
  • Options
  • Options
    I just started my Signature Set for Israel early statehood years.

Any assistance in getting to the high grade pieces I miss would be appreciated !

Signature Set