Home Stamps Forum
Options

Stamp terms?

Hello,
I finally picked up a used '94 Unitrade Catalogue hoping to find my unknown King George V. No luck finding it, yet. But I'm coming across some terms that are not explained.

For example: as 'a', rouletted
as 'f', mimeo

I've looked up the meanings for roulette and mimeograph (mimeo is not in my dictionary) and am still not closer to determining the meaning as related to stamps.

Linda

Comments

• Options
    Dog gone Linda! I thought you were going to ask something simple like what does NH mean. image I'm not sure but it sounds like some type of perf lingo.

Jerry
  • Options
    I found this - 'Many postal cards were made available in large sheets and these were later privately rouletted or perfortated. Rouletted cards are listed only if they were regularly issued in that form.'

I'm going to assume that mimeo is something to do with the printing process.

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Linda, can't help you on the memeo term as I know its only a type of printing method.

The roulette is a type of "perf". Many US revenues used this type. Without showing you an example, it's kind of hard to explain. Closest example I can think of as a comparison is those little paper separations on coupons where you have to fold it back and forth to get a clean break; thats kind of like rouletting.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Go to the multiples page on my revenue stamp web site.

Scroll down and click on the picture for R176. That block is rouletted.