Home Stamps Forum
Options

A Thread In The U.S. Coin Forum Wants To Know About Stamp Collecting. Dead?

Link To Thread

I almost answered it and told them about SAN. But, thought better of it.

Jerry

Comments

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... What does SAN stand for?

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    KentuckyJKentuckyJ Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭

> Hmmm... What does SAN stand for?

Stamp Auction Network

• Options
    Check the prices for the just ended Shreves Sale. Unreal. Check these out.

1898Trans-Mississippi Exposition

Hey Doug, I'm eating my words right now on what I said about LH & HR. Check out the eye appeal between lot 1147 & 1148. Definately 1147.

A Q5 PSE Superb 98 went for $1900. I honestly don't know why the auction companies keep putting up the CV

Jerry
  • Options
    I asked this same question over there. Maybe someone more informed can answer me. Is this a good deal:
    Good Deal?
  • Options
    LouisCampLouisCamp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    Wow, the famous better items on card with high catalog values. Nystamps is one of Apfelbaums biggest customers. Go look at the quality of the stamps Apfelbaums sells, they strip the collections to sell the better ones. Only thing that's left is crap, how do they get better when Nystamps sells them? It's crap and you will get burnt.

Don't believe me, PM me and I can prove it.

Lou.....

lchobbyco
    ANA Life-Member
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I actually have collected stamps far longer than coins, and still do. But, like others have mentioned, most of us have turned into specialized collectors of vintage or topical material rather than being general collectors of current stamps. In my case, I concentrate on U.S. Civil War-era revenue stamps, along with 19th-century British, French, and German material.

For a number of years in my youth I collected U.S. issues, but stopped after it became too expensive to keep up. In my opinion there are 4 factors that have greatly contributed to people no longer collecting modern U.S. stamps (which is where most kids get their start, whether on their own or from parents and grandparents, etc.):

1. Proliferation of larger numbers of different stamps each year.

2. Rising cost of face value of stamps.

3. Larger number of faux "Made for Collectors" sets and commemorative garbage.

4. Larger number of stamps in a plate block. For decades there were always 4 stamps in a plate number block. Then, in the 1970s this number increased to the point where for certain issues the "plate block" ran the entire length of the sheet. This single-handedly turned a LOT of people away from the hobby due to the increased cost of acquisition. Sure it doesn't sound like a lot on a per-issue basis, but when you add up the increased cost over a year's worth of issues it is significant.
  • Options
    I have always questioned if the rising cost of stamps is a valid reason for the declining market. (Which appears to be picking up finally...but after a 20 year spiral).

One of each US stamp this year would cost about $50.00. Sure not pennies, but less then what any new video would cost.

Mark Bostick
    www.meteoritearticles.com
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.