Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

SF Silver Proof Quality?

I’m inspecting the 40 that just arrived today.

So far, five of the first five were unacceptable….and they all had the same obvious flaws…very evident und a new 3x lighted magnifier thinger…

They all had “cloudy” areas,; which upon inspecting with the new magnifier we individual “milk spots”.

Also, several seem to have been subject to “trauma” of some kind. Quite a few have some kind of handling marks where they shouldn’t have.

And, I’m 9 into 40, and EVERY SINGLE ONE has milk spots.

FloridaBill

Comments

• Options

1 of 4 of mine were bad.
  • Options
    Two of the four I ordered had obvious hits or tick marks on them. I have not examined the other two under magnigication. Not very good quality in my opinion. Is it just me or can only West Point get the proofs right? After the reverse proofs from Philadelphia and these, I am beginning to think so.
    "It's not that the Irish are cynical. It's simply that they have a wonderful lack of respect for everything and everybody." - Brendan Behan

Proud Participant in Operation "Stone Holey" August 7, 2008
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    8 out of my 15 had issues.

Kind of sickening, as I really love the coin.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just received 40 proofs as well. I am going to look them over as well as send the ones back that have problems with them.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    7over87over8 Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭
    2 of 2 proofs were bad, tick marks and scratches
  • Options
    Report...all 40 are bad...EVERY ONE has this strange cloudy spot on the reverse between the E of "ONE" and the D of "DOLLAR". See attached. So, I'm keeping the 2 best, the other 38 are going back

FloridaBill
  • Options
    I sent 3 back and kept 2.
    The 3 I returned looked like sand had been on the dies or something!
  • Options
    Pretty sickening considering the relatively high quality of the ASE proofs. I got back a number of ASEs with 69 and 70 grades. Comparing these to even the SF proofs I kept, I'd grade my SFs 68 at best; the ones I sent back were even worse!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Well I just got my grades back tonight: 5 submissions--4 DCAM69s, 1DCAM 68.

My guess is the lot that I sent back wouldn't have even reached a 68 grade. Ticks all over the place. After seeing the grades, I'm really relieved I sent the others back. The mint's standards slipped on these proofs as far as I'm concerned.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Mine came and went back the same day. Same problem as the rest of you.
    The one in the Legacy set is even worse.
    Think the only way to get a good one is off the bay in a PCGS PR70 slab or maybe a PR69.
    What a waste of time and money when the mink makes and sends out such crapola
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    Ya know if you look on the bay for ms69 or pr69's the prices are not that bad.
    When you get the bad ones from the mint like I did and figure all the shipping costs I think buying one already slabbed makes more sense.
    DONNYJF
  • Options
    I beginning to think you're right about that.

It feels so crummy sending them back--though if they're minting inferior coins, they should be returned.

Am I expecting 70s -- no, once in a blue moon is exciting. 69s are great. 68s okay, I can live with.

But on the proofs, honestly, it looks like someone spit all over them.

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file