Home PSA Set Registry Forum

1976 or 1978 Topps Basketball Set?

I'm in the process of winding down my 81 Topps basketball set (getting close to completion), which is my first attempt at a graded set, and am considering beginning a new one. I am considering the 76 (like the tall boys) or the 78 set. Just looking for thoughts and/or opinions on either of these two. My rule is generally 8's or 9's. Any thoughts greatly appreciated...

Comments

• markmacmarkmac Posts: 412 ✭✭✭
    The 1976 by far. It will cost you much more $$$ but the set actually has some value and the cards are very attractive. The 1978 set isn't worth grading. Stars in PSA 9 are barely worth the grading fees.
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say that the '78 set is worthless (it's an appealing set from a great era), but of the two, the '76 is probably the better option, if you don't mind the expense and storage challenges. I have that set raw and it's always been a favorite.

No consideration of the '77-78 set? I've always liked the bright card stock and clean, colorful design of that one, plus I really like that era of the league.
  • Sheamaster

Congrats on the 81.
    I've been working on mine for over 1 1/2. Its one of the tuffest sets to build in high grade. So far there is only 1 complete set done. I just need 12 more to finish mine.

As far as your next set, both are fine sets.
  • E-mail me and i can get you started on the 1976 set.
    Steve at: ezyshooter@sympatico.ca
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Congrats on the 81, and I too would pick the 76.

I dont own any but have always admired those cards.

The 78's are nice looking cards, but as others mentioned they arent worth too much, often not much more than grading fees.

The 76's appear to really be coming down in price so it might be the perfect time to get in on them. There are some real nice PSA 9's ending in a few hours on ebay. A Walton PSA 9 for $24.99 with no bids, a Kareem PSA 9 @ $50, and a ton of others are still at their opening prices.

A question for those who have raw 76 cards...Are there pages that fit these cards if I wanted to pick up a raw set just to throw in an album ?
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭
    1976 was a better year..
    ·p_A·
  • GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A question for those who have raw 76 cards...Are there pages that fit these cards if I wanted to pick up a raw set just to throw in an album ? >>

I think so, but I can't really point to any.

I have mine stored face up in two equal stacks in an 800 count box. I actually haven't looked at that set in a long time. (I have a full hand-collated set which I bought complete long ago, plus a lot of cards I got from packs at the time. So it's like a set and a half, or so.)

I used to always be on the lookout for toplaoders for them, with no real luck, but that was the state of things circa 1991.
  • Not trying to put a plug in here but i have 3 sets up on e-bay right now being sold together 500 + cards. Also have the set completely graded if anybody wants that then e-mail me at ezyshooter@sympatico.ca
    Set consists of 21 PSA 9's and 123 PSA 8's All cards NQ
    First 1600.00 delivered on the graded set if in North America.
    Thanks Steve
    Die Hard Toronto Maple Leafs Fan !!
  • The '76 set is one of my favorites. I have a few 8's sitting here I couldn't give away for 99 cents on Ebay so you should be able to build a nice set for a reasonable price. 9's on the other hand can be a little tougher to find that cheap. I need a Junior Bridgeman and Elmore Smith in a 9. Can anybody here help??
  • I collect both of the sets. Neither of them have an upside as far as value. Do you plan on buying graded cards or putting a set together through your own submissions. If you are going after it by buying graded cards, then here is my opinion on them:

(1) 1976: More popular of the two sets. Cards are large and thus, the storage for them may be a drawback. Due to the large size, they tend to have nice images. The problem with this set is that the prices are dropping. More cards are hitting the market while the individuals who collect the set are decreasing. I would bottom feed this set. The prices are coming down. If you are patient, then this will be a fun set. I do not have any extra cards from this set; however, if you are interested in it, then I would look for a lot from a board member.

(2) 1978: This set has a lack of respect. The prices are low. As somebody said, a PSA 9 common generally does not give you the grading fee back. Due to the low prices, the dealers tend not to grade them. In addition, the quality control for 1978 is worse then 1976. It is a tough set to complete. However, in my opinion the prices are at the bottom. I personally like the action shots on this set better. If you want this set, then I have some extra cards available.

I would recommend that you track the sets on eBay to see the prices and card selection available. In addition, you may want to pick up a couple of graded cards from each set to see how you like the look.

If you are going after it by personal submissions, then the 1978 set is much cheaper to purchase in wax/vending/raw form.

David
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I just bought wax packs and some card lots to put these sets together in raw condition. The 78-79 set is far cheaper to put together as has been mentioned. If I was collecting the set graded I would opt for the 1976 topps set. Does anybody have any raw cards in NMMT condition for sale from 77-78 or 78-79? I need some to complete my sets.
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I do not know if anyone else noticed but the 1978 set is not grade weighted. If you decided to collect that set in say PSA 9 a Dr J holds the same weight as any common in the set. I would opt for the 77 set much nicer in my opinion and along with the usual stars has the rookie of Robert Parish a HOF/Top 50 player. Another option is to do as I did with the 1973-1981 sets and that is to collect in as high a grade as you can afford the Key cards in those sets (HOFers/Top 50/Significant Rookies and Players or just some players who are personal favorites) in any event good luck with your collection.
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    One other thing as mentioned above there is quite a bit of the postcard size 1976 set currently on EBAY primarily due to the Tall Boy special PSA had a short while ago. Seems a lot of folks pulled them out of their binders and sent them in. It could also mean saving some money when buying these cards now especially if you see some lots. Good Luck
  • PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't mind going a little farther back, the 70-71 topps set has become fairly resonable in psa 8. Most of the commons can be had in 8 for $5-$10. Of course some of the tough sp's and Maravich, Hondo, and Wilt are a little bit(a lot!!!) more, but still a nice set to assemble and with only 175 cards, it won't take decades to complete!! Just as Steve (ezyshooter). He has put together one of the nicest sets on the registry within about a 2 year period. Good luck with whichever you choose!!

Tim
    Promethius881969@yahoo.com