Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2006 Plats..

any new mintage numbers?

This is "W" uncs I'm asking about.

Same question for the fractional gold UNC "w".

Thanks.

Florida Bill

Comments

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    yep
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    As of the latest Numismatic News I got yesterday

Gold:
    1 oz: 2305
    1/2 oz: 1616
    1/4 oz: 1693
    1/10 oz: 6653
    4 coin set: 1735

Silver 1 oz: 148,586

Platinum:
    1 oz: 276
    1/2 oz: 418
    1/4 oz: 431
    1/10 oz: 1746 (no longer available)
    4 coin set: 901

• Options
    Mr. Raven,

Do you know the date these figures are from?

Also, as an aside, why does NN have an exclusive on this information? What is it they do to get this information that you or I can't do on the web?

Thanks!

FloridaBill
  • Options
    How are the Silver Eagles so low when there are at least 270,000 in the Anniversary Sets???image
  • Options
    Oh and I ordered the 2006 1/10 platinum proof instead of the uncirculated! That is why the uncirculated SOLD OUT!!!!! AUGH!imageimageimage
    Looks like the gold 1/10 is a favorite most likely due to its affordability!
  • Options
    This issue was mailed on 11/24 that is all I know. (11/20 is the date which they received these numbers from the mint)

I have a subscription to NN so that is where I get my information.....

I just gave the information in the little W Unc box they have on the page and yes you can add those 270 k if you want image

I was going to order one of the 1/10 oz W unc platinums to go with my 1/10 oz proof collection and now it is gone image (this topic has been discussed in threads)
  • Options
    How about we call the mint and ask for a "DO OVER", that uncirc was within reach and now it has an insane low pop! By the way I bought the old mint gold proof and they are pushing this coin to the max! It may never be worth what I paid!imageimageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>How about we call the mint and ask for a "DO OVER", that uncirc was within reach and now it has an insane low pop! >>

Nothing is sold out, so nothing can have a "low pop." 2647 of the uncirc 1/10th plat W's have been sold according to the posted figures, and they are still being sold. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    Yea the 4 coin set is way out of reach for most collectors of the 1/10 oz size.....

That is the big deal.....
  • Options
    Its sold out for us poor boys and most common collectors. I won't spend the big bucks for it when they are on the ebay, the opposite will happen I won't collect the W uncircs. I think if they had minted more there would be more collectors for the uncirc not lessimage
  • Options
    Sales figures as of 11/27/06 for MS -w plats:

included in these numbers is 1374 four coin sets.

The coins are flying out of the mint now compared to pervious weeks. Guess all the good press on collectors univers forums did the trick. Notice the quarter being the most affordable option left is accelerating.......

wouldn't it be nice if the final numbers were to look something like this

less returns of course...... :-)

• Options
    Those are some healthy increases that is for sure.....

Now just have to try and get one of those 1/10 oz coins.....
  • Options

The board's not done touting them yet, they may hit 5,000 each.
  • Options
    Good then I should be able to get a 1/10 oz
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The board's not done touting them yet, they may hit 5,000 each. >>

I haven't quite figured out what to think of the posts that tout them. If I am buying a coin that I think will be rare becuse few people are buying it should I post a thread on a public forum encouraging others to buy it in hopes that enough people will buy it that it won't be rare????
    --Jerry
  • Options
    Eric, where did you get your numbers? They are very different from what is being reported in NN...

Eric
    EAC member since 2011, one third of the way through my 1793 large cent type set
  • Options
    NN sometimes reports monthly sales and sometimes YTD. You gotta be clear on what you are posting...
  • Options
    Those second batch of numbers is thru the week of 11/27, my numbers where thru 11/20.....

• Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I haven't quite figured out what to think of the posts that tout them. If I am buying a coin that I think will be rare becuse few people are buying it should I post a thread on a public forum encouraging others to buy it in hopes that enough people will buy it that it won't be rare???? >>

You're not alone in your thoughts notwilight. Do you suppose there really are agents of the US Mint posting here, as has been suggested?

Personally I think the US Mint has struck 1000's of these Platinum sets up - maybe as many as 15,000 sets. They will remain on sale until sold. In the end - the leftovers may be offered to the Bulk Sales Program - just like the SF Mint Commemoratives.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There were only 2100 1938-PDS Boone sets issued and today, almost 60 years later, you can buy a set for a grand or so. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't see that they would strike 15k sets - the same design has already been on offer with the proofs and doubt that even with extra sale time that they could hope to move anywhere near that number.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

<< <i>There were only 2100 1938-PDS Boone sets issued and today, almost 60 years later, you can buy a set for a grand or so. image >>

Supply/demand. Many of us here talk about "modern crap" and "its just bullion" but what I've noticed since coming back into the hobby heavily 3 years ago is that people are taking to this stuff more and more. IMO, all the Eagles are picking up momentum. There is a lot of appeal: beautiful coins, bullion value floor, store of wealth, collectors and dealers are on a level playing field w/r/t purchases, no need to be an expert to see if the color is just not right or its got some microscopic hairline/speck on it at 10x or its really not a 65 but its a 64.99 and now you're buried in it and on and on. Its collecting for people who like to collect. I need this denomination, this year and I'll buy it and its easy - no getting beat up by a dealer b/c you don't know some esoteric thing about the series you collect!

I don't think its necessarily wise to pay a huge premium for a 70 vs a 69, but collectors will pay a premium over bullion value to get a 69 for the collection and will definitely pay a premium for a low mintage year.
  • Options
    bumanchubumanchu Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>There were only 2100 1938-PDS Boone sets issued and today, almost 60 years later, you can buy a set for a grand or so. image >>

Supply/demand. Many of us here talk about "modern crap" and "its just bullion" but what I've noticed since coming back into the hobby heavily 3 years ago is that people are taking to this stuff more and more. IMO, all the Eagles are picking up momentum. There is a lot of appeal: beautiful coins, bullion value floor, store of wealth, collectors and dealers are on a level playing field w/r/t purchases, no need to be an expert to see if the color is just not right or its got some microscopic hairline/speck on it at 10x or its really not a 65 but its a 64.99 and now you're buried in it and on and on. Its collecting for people who like to collect. I need this denomination, this year and I'll buy it and its easy - no getting beat up by a dealer b/c you don't know some esoteric thing about the series you collect!

I don't think its necessarily wise to pay a huge premium for a 70 vs a 69, but collectors will pay a premium over bullion value to get a 69 for the collection and will definitely pay a premium for a low mintage year. >>

Well said. The collector base for "modern crap" is quite large and is expanding and for the very reasons you have noted above.

I like the new stuff and personally have little interest in something like the Boone sets. And there are more where I am coming from.

But I say collect whatever you like, just don't worship your coins.
    And I ain't lying this time.
  • Options
    The problem with the Boon set or any other of the old commems with mint mark and date rarity is the series is collected by type and prices clearly reflect that fact. Most moderns with changing designs will also be collected by type. The MS plats will be collected by type too if the program survives. Dated MS plats are in danger of being as irrelevant as the mint marked old commems.

Eric
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eric said:

<< <i>The problem with the Boon set or any other of the old commems with mint mark and date rarity is the series is collected by type and prices clearly reflect that fact. Most moderns with changing designs will also be collected by type. The MS plats will be collected by type too if the program survives. Dated MS plats are in danger of being as irrelevant as the mint marked old commems. >>

Well said!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
  • Options
    I like the modern coins and think it is not modern crap as some do say. Why do call it modern crap it is much more exciting than old fudgy coinsimage
  • Options
    I like the fact that the platinum coins are not heavily collected.....

These have a great long term potential I think.....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file