Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I am going to a dealer to look at this coin...

What are your impressions? It is curently ungraded, but what grade do you think it is, and what is a fair price?

Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
Cashback from Mr. Rebates

Comments

• Options
    I think you'd be better off collecting Seated Half Dimes.

Ray
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146

did elmo give her that hicky on her neck?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks real and strictly uncirculated. The black streaks look like they're not going anywhere, and the coin has in all probability been lightly cleaned in an attempt to remove the streaks. (That's based on the color, plus I'm playing the odds based on human nature.) Probably worth 60-61 money.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    lightly cleaned
    i didnt wanna say it but, ya it just very well may have been.
    unc details net au55
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Maybe it's just the picture but it has an unnatural look to the surfaces, possibly cleaned. Make sure you pay attention to that when you have it in hand. The hit on the cheek makes me say no higher than 63.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    The dealer is selling this as an MS-62. From what I hear people respect the dealer and his grading capabilities, if anything he may undergrade. The question is what happens if I submit to pcgs and it comes back as a lower grade or as ungraded due to cleaning?
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Almost certainly cleaned. Nice strike/detail. I would pay AU money for it if it looked nice in hand. I would not pay anywhere close to MS-62 money for it.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    The question is what happens if I submit to pcgs and it comes back as a lower grade or as ungraded due to cleaning?

That's a question for the dealer.

Another question is if you're not confident in your own grading ability (once you see the coin), should you be buying raw coins?
  • Options
    lkrarecoinslkrarecoins Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭
    Surface looks like it has very few imperfections...ask the dealer if he'd ever heard of Photoshop image

If the picture wasnt messed with, my guess is MS62/63
    In Loving Memory of my Dad......My best friend, My inspiration, and My Coin Collecting Partner

"La Vostra Nonna Ha Faccia Del Fungo"
  • Options
    MisterBungleMisterBungle Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭

Tell the dealer to send it off to PCGS, and
    if it comes back a 62, you'll buy the coin
    and pay him for the submission fees.

Sounds fair to me.

~

"America suffers today from too much pluribus and not enough unum.".....Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like a Harlan Berk picture. None of their pics show luster, so it is hard to tell cleaned or not. The color looks a little suspicious, though, as though the coin has at least been dipped or something.

Why do you want to submit it? If a pcgs graded coin is what you want and you aren't sure of your own grading abilities, you should probably buy a slabbed coin to begin with IMO.

Slab or no slab, 60 or 62, those marks will make that coin very hard to sell when it comes time. I'd let that be somebody else's problem and not yours. Just my 2c, but not only will they look more and more annoying to you the longer you own the coin, you will never get out of that coin without discounting for them.

... I guess what I'm saying is, regardless of the grade, I'd walk away from that one.
    mirabela
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    I would keep looking- and if certification is important to you, then buy one already certified in your plastic of choice...
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    it appears that the fields have been smoothed out and tooled... sorry
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Based on the pics I see on my monitor I can not tell what those fields really look like. Some pics give a clue--these do not. If you don't think you can nail the grade yourself, buy one already in a slab that you like and is in your price range.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    The question is what happens if I submit to pcgs and it comes back as a lower grade or as ungraded due to cleaning?

Why would anything "happen"?
    Andy Lustig

• Options
    TheRavenTheRaven Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭
    I would be really leary.....

Me, I would only get that type of coin PCGS slabbed (my grader of choice).....
    Collection under construction: VG Barber Quarters & Halves
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The dealer is selling this as an MS-62. From what I hear people respect the dealer and his grading capabilities, if anything he may undergrade. The question is what happens if I submit to pcgs and it comes back as a lower grade or as ungraded due to cleaning? >>

A slight clarification, which the originator of the thread forgot to mention. The coin is graded, both on our website and on the insert which he has seen, as "MS-62 Hairlines."
    Tom DeLorey
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The dealer is selling this as an MS-62. From what I hear people respect the dealer and his grading capabilities, if anything he may undergrade. The question is what happens if I submit to pcgs and it comes back as a lower grade or as ungraded due to cleaning? >>

If it comes back as a lower grade, than it comes back a lower grade. After all, grading is subjective, and if his oppinion and more importantly your oppinion is that it is a 62 and you purchase it as such, than you agreed with the dealer and the deal is done. Afterall, the transaction is between you and the dealer, not PCGS and the dealer, and not PCGS and you.

JJ
    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins looks to be experty cleaned or maybe whizzed in order to enhance its appearance.

It is still attractive and should be worth around 60 money...unless it is just the picture and it is really very lustrous and nice.

John
  • Options
    You could do better.
  • Options
    I'm no expert by any means, but when I blow up the pics I see wear in the hair below Liberty and in the top of the feathers. On the reverse there appears to be wear on the top of the wreath(may be a weak strike on the reverse) Looks like a funky color too compared to several other examples I looked at, may be pics. I would say AU. My .02
    Life member of the SSDC
  • Options
    hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭
    I have not seen the coin yet, and I may not be confident enough to buy a raw coin. The dealer also should be getting a high grade Saint graded by pcgs. I just had my heart set on the princess due to its really low mintage. The last coin I bought from this dealer graded dead on when sending to pcgs for grading, so I have no reason to think this is overgraded in any way. I just wanted to get your thoughts, but I agree this picture does not well enough to get a good feel.
  • Options
    Looks funky to me. I would vote bodybag nine times out of ten. If a person wants a slabbed coin, buy a slabbed coin. Buying a raw coin, and then calling the dealer if there is a disappointment is low class behavior. The exception might be if the dealer offers some kind of guarantee that their coins will slab (and very few do).

/ I read on and saw MS62 hairlines. That seems a fair grade, and I'd net it out to AU from that. Anyone sending in a coin labeled as "hairlines" to PCGS or NGC is someone looking to lose their grading fees. The dealer would have zero obligation to the collector given these circumstances.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If a person wants a slabbed coin, buy a slabbed coin. Buying a raw coin, and then calling the dealer if there is a disappointment is low class behavior. The exception might be if the dealer offers some kind of guarantee that their coins will slab (and very few do). >>

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    buy it already slabbed and pay a fair price

pass on unslabbed threes

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I repeat, look at the big hit and the scutz mark on the neck! These will make it very difficult for you to sell that coin at an advantageous price when you want out. There are better ones out there! It is not like this is a $4 Stella in PR66 or something!
    mirabela
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

A slight clarification, which the originator of the thread forgot to mention. The coin is graded, both on our website and on the insert which he has seen, as "MS-62 Hairlines."
    Tom DeLorey >>

Not surprising - and I bet there is an "other side of the story" for most of the other posts on this board. Reader, beware image
  • Options
    I repeat, look at the big hit and the scutz mark on the neck! These will make it very difficult for you to sell that coin at an advantageous price when you want out. There are better ones out there! It is not like this is a $4 Stella in PR66 or something!

If you collect or deal in coins, not just plastic, the coin still has some value. I would happily buy it at some price. 1880 threes don't come around every day, especially in affordable grades. These coins did not circulate.

As for the $4 Stella comment, not everyone can afford a gem $3, much less a gem Stella.

Andy Lustig

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    <<<A slight clarification, which the originator of the thread forgot to mention. The coin is graded, both on our website and on the insert which he has seen, as "MS-62 Hairlines."
    Tom DeLorey>>>

So....that means it is a problem coin as other posts suggest, and is in a NCS or ANACS holder and would not grade at PCGS or NGC? If I were hiijacker I would pass.

Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey hijacker--can you please post the reason why you edited the coin out of this thread???

Next time wait an entire day before you start a post if you are going to bail out of it this quicklyimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Where is the picture?
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Where is the picture? >>

Here
    Larry

• Options
    FrankcoinsFrankcoins Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin, but if you want it in a slab, buy it in a slab.
    Frank Provasek - PCGS Authorized Dealer, Life Member ANA, Member TNA. www.frankcoins.com
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Good thread, lots of people explaining why they think it is this grade or that. I really enjoy and learn from such threads--but the photo is gone. Can it come back?

--Jerry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file