Home Sports Talk
Options

How much of a travesty would it be if ND got a bcs game..

They are the worst overhyped team ever. Getting blown out in the only two games that mattered. Hell id rather see FSU in a bcs. I hope Louisville gets it over them.

Comments

• Options
    FSU, your serious?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Neither FSU nor Louisville are the draw that ND is.

ND, year in and year, gets overhyped in the offseason then never lives up to their ranking, yet always makes it to a BCS game.

• Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    Notre Dame will get in every year they are remotely close to being qualified because they are Notre Dame. The BCS bowls will routinely pass on higher-rated teams to take ND, and that's an outrage.
  • Options

<< <i>How much of a travesty would it be if ND got a bcs game.. >>

Actually, FSU making it into the BCS last year was a travesty. BCS needs to reconsider automatic bids.
  • Options
    The very fact that they get a BCS game because they are a draw when they have not really earned it is what makes it a travesty. They once went to the Fiesta Bowl with a 6-6 record. They got destroyed by Colorado. You are right they are almost a cinch to get a BCS bowl because they travel so damn well. But there are more deserving teams out there. Notre Dame beat absolutely nobody all year. They played two good teams and got smoked by both of them. This is one of the things I can't stand about ND. I hope whoever they play smokes them.
  • Options
    Totally agree. Notre Dame is smoke and mirrors. They got exposed twice this year and still they are held on a pedestal. And they may get a BCS game but it won't be the Rose Bowl. Leaked info has LSU VS Michigan unless of course Southern Cal loses. In my newsletter from the LSU athletic department yesterday, they had already presold over 40,000 tickets and we're not even officially in yet. I'd say thats traveling pretty well.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>Totally agree. Notre Dame is smoke and mirrors. They got exposed twice this year and still they are held on a pedestal. And they may get a BCS game but it won't be the Rose Bowl. Leaked info has LSU VS Michigan unless of course Southern Cal loses. In my newsletter from the LSU athletic department yesterday, they had already presold over 40,000 tickets and we're not even officially in yet. I'd say thats traveling pretty well. >>

Question. Are bowls still designated by conference placement like they used to, barring championship contenders? For instance, is the Rose designated to have the Big 10 and SEC second place teams? I didn't think they were, but wasn't sure. If not, why would they have a match up with LSU when it would seem more logical to have another one-loss team like Florida (if they win)? Does the SEC champ have to play in a bowl against another conference champion?
  • Options
    Name a team that should go in their place.
  • Options

<< <i>Name a team that should go in their place. >>

Based on their record alone, not too many teams. Based on their loses, quite a few teams have an argument IMO. Granted, the two teams they lost to were currently ranked #2/#3, but they didn't even come close to competing in either of those games. They also had to come back big late in the game to beat Michigan St. They did beat a decent team in Georgia Tech (BCS #22), but that's about it. Again, if they had a decent showing in either of their 2 losses, many would feel differently. I am on the fence concerning them as well.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ND deserves to go... they have talent, an excellent coach and they seem to know how to win when the chips are down. Are they as good as USC, OSU or Michigan? No... but then again what team is as good this year? And yes I will say OSU is the best team and they will be National Champs...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    All the boohooing jealousy over ND cracks me up. To have Michigan fans complaining about who they play or beat is laughable. Just off the top of my head in the past 10 years here are some of the teams that were on their schedule, Nebraska, A&M, Tennessee, Oklahoma, West Virginia, LSU, Michigan, Texas, OSU, Boston College, Florida State, Maryland, BYU and SC.

Now please all you Michigan fans who claim ND is underserving please man up and tell us all the top notch opponents you have scheduled. Of course don't count ND because they have beaten you 3 out of the last 5 games and they really aren't that good.
  • Options

<< <i>All the boohooing jealousy over ND cracks me up. To have Michigan fans complaining about who they play or beat is laughable. Just off the top of my head in the past 10 years here are some of the teams that were on their schedule, Nebraska, A&M, Tennessee, Oklahoma, West Virginia, LSU, Michigan, Texas, OSU, Boston College, Florida State, Maryland, BYU and SC.

Now please all you Michigan fans who claim ND is underserving please man up and tell us all the top notch opponents you have scheduled. Of course don't count ND because they have beaten you 3 out of the last 5 games and they really aren't that good. >>

<< <i>All the boohooing jealousy over ND cracks me up. To have Michigan fans complaining about who they play or beat is laughable. Just off the top of my head in the past 10 years here are some of the teams that were on their schedule, Nebraska, A&M, Tennessee, Oklahoma, West Virginia, LSU, Michigan, Texas, OSU, Boston College, Florida State, Maryland, BYU and SC.

Now please all you Michigan fans who claim ND is underserving please man up and tell us all the top notch opponents you have scheduled. Of course don't count ND because they have beaten you 3 out of the last 5 games and they really aren't that good. >>

You talkin' to me IM? I'm not sure if any of the others in this thread are Michigan fans, so you must be talkin' to me... image

I have no complains about who they played or beat. They traditionally play many of the same opponents every year. I simply mentioned that when compared to other teams with a similar record, some have a better resume to state their claim to a BCS game. Again, the quality of the two opponents that they lost to is unmatched, but the fact that they did not compete in either game doesn't bolster their argument that they can compete with top-10 quality competition IMO. Georgia Tech was a solid win and they had some good wins against fair teams like Penn St and Purdue. Their struggle with MSU has many pointing to that game as well. Again, I'm just on the fence as to whether ND is more deserving than some of the other teams surrounding them in the BCS rankings. As far as the claim that they'll make a BCS bowl simply because they travel well... I will simply say that the fact that many of the major college programs have a good following is beneficial to them and each would not argue if that put them into a bowl.

• Options
    IrishMike, you can list all those teams and they sound impressive, but you seem to leave out the fact that Notre Dame didn't win a lot of those games. The advantage for them too is that they don't have a conference. It's a lot easier to schedule teams like that when you're not affiliated with a conference. Teams like Michigan have most of their schedule taken up by Big Ten teams. When you only have two or three open weeks a year, it's a lot harder to get a team to play in a set week. Oh ya, Notre Dame is WAY overrated!
  • Options
    Almost forgot......Wisconsin is more deserving of a BCS game than Notre Dame, but they are already going somewhere else. Which reminds me, can the Big Ten even have three BCS bowl teams.........that's right THREE teams from the Big Ten!!!
  • Options
    Mpeter you just lost any credibility by thinking Wisconsin is deserving, they played the little sisters of the poor. They would be a two loss team if they played OSU.

Naw dirt I'm just ranting in general, when you consider ND hasn't had a top ten recruiting class in almost 10 years until last year they've played remarkedly well.

Oops UCLA is leading, but of course they aren't a good team because ND beat them. image
  • Options
    Wisconsin is a joke for the BCS. Bowling Green, Western Illinois, San Diego St, and Buffalo as non -conf all at home , Plus No Ohio St in Big 10. ND had close wins. Wisc beat mighty Illinois at home by 6, Iowa by 3, Plus the shelled San Diego st at home by 14.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illinois-Wisconsin is a big game for those two schools... Wisconsin has won about the last 4-5 games. Wisconsin is a good team but at some point you have to pay for the non-conference schedule. Did Wisconsin get the short end of the stick? Yes... but thats what happens when the schedule they set up and even 5-8 years ago, the AD should have known better

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

look at who ND has played and you will see why so many more teams deserve a bid...

Date Opponent Time/Result Audio/Video
    Sat, Sep 2 at Georgia Tech W 14-10 --
    Sat, Sep 9 (19) Penn State W 41-17 --
    Sat, Sep 16 (11) Michigan L 21-47 --
    Sat, Sep 23 at Michigan State W 40-37 --
    Sat, Sep 30 Purdue W 35-21 --
    Sat, Oct 7 Stanford W 31-10 --
    Sat, Oct 21 UCLA W 20-17 --
    Sat, Oct 28 at Navy W 38-14 --
    Sat, Nov 4 North Carolina W 45-26 --
    Sat, Nov 11 at Air Force W 39-17 --
    Sat, Nov 18 Army W 41-9 --

Sat, Nov 25 at (3) USC L 24-44
  • Options
    Moss you have to be the dumbest poster on these boards.
  • Options

<< <i>Moss you have to be the dumbest poster on these boards. >>

Their schedule is a cake walk, sorry your a homer for liking ND and thinking they are a powerhouse.
  • Options

<< <i>Name a team that should go in their place. >>

Louisville, if Rutgers beats WVU. But they will likely be passed over to make room for ND.
  • Options
    Thanks for showing that high powered Notre Dame schedule. I'm trying to figure out right now how they aren't #1. I mean, it's right there in front of me in black and white..........Stanford (one win) Army (three wins) North Carolina (three wins) Air Force (four wins) Michigan State (four wins).....

I will give them credit though for taking on Michigan and USC.......I mean, 26 point and 20 point losses aren't that bad. Really, I need help here, somebody please explain to me how this team is even ranked at all.
  • Options

<< <i>I will give them credit though for taking on Michigan and USC.......I mean, 26 point and 20 point losses aren't that bad. Really, I need help here, somebody please explain to me how this team is even ranked at all. >>

Because they're Notre Dame. It's all Rockne's fault.
  • Options
    Guys carefull, you will join me in being part of the dumbest posters club if you think ND is overrated and not even a top 15 team.
  • Options
    Whatever doubt there may have been about ND backing into a BCS bid was probably eliminated by WVU beating Rutgers. Now there's no chance of Louisville eating up an at-large bid. Michigan certainly takes one, and LSU probably gets one. Louisville may have had a shot at the third with a Rutgers win but now they're in as the champs and opens the door wide open for ND. Crap!
  • Options
    who should go ahead of them?
  • Options

<< <i>who should go ahead of them? >>

anyone.