Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

A good way to preserve unopened wax boxes

I just won an auction for an unopened case fresh wax box of 1978 Topps Superman cards. The seller used shrink wrap in order to keep it looking new and eliminating shelf wear. I just got it delivered yesterday and it looks stunning. Having something this old, look so frozen in time.

It gave me an idea of all those wax boxes from the 70s and before when shrink wrapping was not done by the factory. Shrink wrapping will not harm the box and is not a permanent thing if one needs it removed. It is analogous to using penny sleeves on cards. It really does cut down on the scuffing and handling wear. There is no protection from pressure or rough handling, but one should be more careful than to subject a wax box to that kind of risk. With shrink wrapping, you also get to display the box as if "raw" instead of putting it out of sight in some box with popcorn around it. I just think its a neat idea.

Now, where does one get a shrink wrap machine?
"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Comments

• Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    You don't even need that.
    Floral supply and other similar stores sell heat shrink bags. Stick the box in them, turn on a blow dryer, and it shrinks to fit. They are used for gift baskets all the time.
    Deutscher, I think near us you can get them at Michaels, as well as the flower mart downtown. If that doesn't work there is a place in N. Hollywood/Valley Village my aunt gets it. PM me and I'll find out.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭
    Watch out for the kryptonite because it could pierce the shrink wrap.
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    I just remembered that the shrink wrap has to be archival safe and PVC free. Will they have those at Micheals?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've wrapped them in saran wrap...

Keeps the gum nice and fresh! image

mike
    Mike