Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Post your submission highlight scans!

I figured the Mail call thread was pretty much for ebay wins and purchases and is getting super long, so I thought maybe we could have a thread for our submission highlights . Here's mine I just got back today.

Arthur, Two of the cards you generously gave me. Do you remember which ones? image

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

Wow, congrats on all the great grades! Of that bunch, I'd say the '93 Pinnacle is my favorite -- a fantastic photo bordered in black and no chipping. Nice job!
  • Options
    pandrewspandrews Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭

nice.. i think this one is my favorite.. i also like the early-mid 90's stuff, especially the Living Legends.. that was a tough pull back in the day!
    ·p_A·
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    Me gusta la tarjeta Vaqueros de Dallas.

Excellente
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
    pa,

That one was a bgs 9.5 crackout. It like it to image

Thanks all

Matt
  • Options
    Ha ha! Congrats Matt! image

Hmm ... I know I sent you a Playoff Prime, a Men of Autumn, a '94 Ultra and '94 Pinnacle and (1 or 2?) Fleer Living Legends. That '97 Finest might have come from me too, I can't remember. I don't remember what condition they were in though since they had been sitting in one of my binders for 5-6 years.

Which ones? Hopefully I contributed a 10 image

Either way, have fun entering those suckers into the registry image

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>Ha ha! Congrats Matt! image

Hmm ... I know I sent you a Playoff Prime, a Men of Autumn, a '94 Ultra and '94 Pinnacle and (1 or 2?) Fleer Living Legends. That '97 Finest might have come from me too, I can't remember. I don't remember what condition they were in though since they had been sitting in one of my binders for 5-6 years.

Which ones? Hopefully I contributed a 10 image

Either way, have fun entering those suckers into the registry image

Arthur >>

Good memory! Out of the cards I posted, the two that are yours are the Playoff Prime which is a 10 and the Living Legends which is a 9. I dont think its possible to get a 10 on the Living L card because its a really tough foil card. I believe at least two other cards of your scored 10's as well.

Thanks again!

Matt
  • Options
    Here's some more. I really like the 1993 score card. Its plain but really cool image

Arthur here is the 1994 Pinncale card you sent me image

imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Options

Got this back a few months ago
  • Options
    bike,

thats a sweet Ripken! It brings back some memories. I submitted mine last year. I pulled it from a pack in 1982 and it was strored in those old plastic sheets. It yellowed a bit but it still got an 8 image

matt
  • Options
    detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭✭
    Matthew,

Wow! Your post has left me with several thoughts and even more questions. First, my thoughts:

(1) I am very envious of the fact that you are so focused in your collecting. I wish I could get there, but I just can't seem to do it.

(2) I need to rethink my position on modern cards. I'm by know means a modern-card hater, I'm mostly just intimidated by the overwhelming selection. I collect Topps Heritage each year, and that's it. My PSA-graded cards are all vintage. But your scans show how truly sweet some of the modern card sets really are. You have some fabulous cards there.

OK, now my questions:

(1) How selective are you in regards to the Emmitt cards you send in for grading? Are you going specifically for 10's? What about cards like the autographed ones. Do you send those in regardless? Do you have a pile of raw Emmitt cards that are 8's or less sitting at home somewhere (maybe those are the ones you feed to your youngest child)?

(2) What's the deal with the PSA grading of jersey cards. I thought these were too thick?

(3) If you keep track, any feel for what costs more, buying a card already graded PSA 10, or buying a bunch of raw cards, cherry picking the best, and paying the grading fees to get them graded your self?

In any case, what a sweet bunch of cards. Are all of them on the Emmitt registry?
  • Options
    God bless this modern stuff, I'll tell ya. Unbelieveable that those came back as 10s. Not saying they're not worthy, just funny how I just tossed whatever cards I got in packs into pages and they maintained decent shape over the years. I didn't even really cherry pick the ones I sent you either, just gave them a once-over and held onto the ones with bad corners.

Congrats! I guess the flip side to that coin is that you still have to get 1,000,000 cards to complete the set. There are only something like 47 cards in the Dempsey set but this is the only 10 I'll ever see. Not even worth the cost of grading image

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>Matthew,

Wow! Your post has left me with several thoughts and even more questions. First, my thoughts:

(1) I am very envious of the fact that you are so focused in your collecting. I wish I could get there, but I just can't seem to do it.

(2) I need to rethink my position on modern cards. I'm by know means a modern-card hater, I'm mostly just intimidated by the overwhelming selection. I collect Topps Heritage each year, and that's it. My PSA-graded cards are all vintage. But your scans show how truly sweet some of the modern card sets really are. You have some fabulous cards there.

OK, now my questions:

(1) How selective are you in regards to the Emmitt cards you send in for grading? Are you going specifically for 10's? What about cards like the autographed ones. Do you send those in regardless? Do you have a pile of raw Emmitt cards that are 8's or less sitting at home somewhere (maybe those are the ones you feed to your youngest child)?

(2) What's the deal with the PSA grading of jersey cards. I thought these were too thick?

(3) If you keep track, any feel for what costs more, buying a card already graded PSA 10, or buying a bunch of raw cards, cherry picking the best, and paying the grading fees to get them graded your self?

In any case, what a sweet bunch of cards. Are all of them on the Emmitt registry? >>

Thanks Tom!

1. I used to be very selective. I wouldnt send anything in that I felt wasnt a 10. Now that I am doing my set and I already had a bunch of raw cards I figured I would submit anything that would be an 8 or above. The set is so large and growing everyday (almost) I felt I would live with 8's or 9's until I got something better. The $5.00 special had everything to do with it though. I wouldnt pay anymore than $5.00 for an 8 unless it was a super tough card.

2. Some jersey cards are to thick. I am sitting on a bunch I would have sent in but I will have to wait untill the new holders are available. Any card up to 3 cards stacked on top of each in thickness is acceptable right now with the current holders.

3. Its almost a wash. Sometimes some crazy bidders will pay too much for psa Emmitts then the next week I win them for $4.99. You never know. Nothing beats buying raw from ebay or local stores and scoring 10's though. This sub had bunches of raw from ebay, stores and fellow board members.

Oh yeah, Auto cards I send in regardless and Abigail only gets to eat commons, not Emmitt Smith image

Thanks again image
  • Options
    Arthur,

How many more Dempseys do you need?
  • Options

<< <i>Arthur,

How many more Dempseys do you need? >>

36 image

The good news is that I've already been able to pick up a few early ones in an 8 with none higher so I'm doing alright so far. I'm in 3rd place right now at 12.20% but a long way to go. I'll be able to make up a lot of ground though as soon a I get a pre-war special. I've got about a half-dozen raw I'll send in. image

Stupid set registry. I'm hooked bad. image

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Arthur,

How many more Dempseys do you need? >>

36 image

The good news is that I've already been able to pick up a few early ones in an 8 with none higher so I'm doing alright so far. I'm in 3rd place right now at 12.20% but a long way to go. I'll be able to make up a lot of ground though as soon a I get a pre-war special. I've got about a half-dozen raw I'll send in. image

Stupid set registry. I'm hooked bad. image

Arthur >>

Thats cool. I always like to see the "none higher" regardless of grade image
    I know what you mean! Im hooked and started an Aikman set as well. I also requested an Irvin set too image
  • Options

I can see it now, Matt .... 6 years from now you'll be on here bragging about your #1 Alvin Harper Master set image

Arthur
  • Options

<< <i>image

I can see it now, Matt .... 6 years from now you'll be on here bragging about your #1 Alvin Harper Master set image

Arthur >>

Alvin was the man!