Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1909 VDB new type?

JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭
I'm sorry for asking so many questions about type sets, but I'm trying to come to a clearly definied (to me) type set for my collection.

My question is, why is the 1909 VDB considered by everyone to be a different "type" than the rest of the wheat cents? Is there a difference in design besides the initials? If not, then why don't most people consider the "initials/no initials" of other series to be different types?

Comments

• Options
    The initials on the reverse were very large this year, so the mint made Victor shrink them. It's a one-year type.
    To support LordM's European Trip, click here!
  • Options
    Lots of people have different definitions for what consitutes a type -- I for one don't think of the 1909 VDB as a separate type coin, but I do consider something like the 1854 $3 gold coin (with smaller lettering) as a different type.
  • Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lots of people have different definitions for what consitutes a type... >>

That's true! My question comes from the fact that those people that do consider the 1909 VDB a "type" also do not consider the Kennedy "no initials" a "type." There seems to be no logic behind that.

I personally do not see how adding or taking away initials can constitute a new type.

• Options
    The Kennedy no initials isn't a type because the initials were on the die when it was made just like any other die. They were polished off the die accidently. It is a die error. The initials were removed from the 1909 cent by a deliberate design decision. That makes it a type. (In order for me to consider something to be a type it has to be a deliberate, intended change. Of course you have to draw the line somewhere of the changes that they are making to the coins every year to lower the relief and improve metal flow etc would be different types.)
  • Options

<< <i>The Kennedy no initials isn't a type because the initials were on the die when it was made just like any other die. They were polished off the die accidently. It is a die error. The initials were removed from the 1909 cent by a deliberate design decision. That makes it a type. (In order for me to consider something to be a type it has to be a deliberate, intended change. Of course you have to draw the line somewhere of the changes that they are making to the coins every year to lower the relief and improve metal flow etc would be different types.) >>

The initials on the 1966 SMS Kennedy was accidently polished off? Sorry, that pig won't fly.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file