Home Sports Talk
Options

Albert Pujols' eyes are welling up

kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
Apparently Albert Pujols is upset because he didn't win the MVP, saying that the winner should come from a playoff team. I have a very good opinion of Pujols, which I hate because I don't like St. Louis, and if this wasn't taken out of context that would change things. I agree that he is a few MVP's short of where he should be, but he wasn't crying when Bonds was stealing MVP's and the Giants were watching TV in October.

Pujols MVP comments
Travis

Comments

• Options
    Ya know, this and the comments he had about Tommy Glavine made me lose a little respect for Albert. Not too much, but a little.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pujols should study baseball history a bit more
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh poor baby....so he didn't get to receive his bonus if he would have won the MVP. image
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    boo friggin hoo...'the MVP should come from a playoff team'?

I wonder, then, if he wins an MVP when his team doesn't make the playoffs, will he give it back?
  • Options

<< <i>Oh poor baby....so he didn't get to receive his bonus if he would have won the MVP. image >>

how's he going to feed his family on only $14 million, cut him some slack!
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Pujols is a big freaking crybaby - I used to think this guy was pure class, but over the last year or so, he is showing more and more that class might not exactly be his middle name. This latest example is perhaps the worst. Weren't there also steroid allegations surrounding him over the last year?

Give me a break Albert - Ryan Howard was the deserved MVP of the NL. Be happy with the half-assed World Series win that your team backed into.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    For those still unsure as to why many of us root so hard for Jeter, here is another example.

Jeter loses out on MVP and he is pure class, congratulating the winner and saying he was honored to be considered for the award.

Pujols loses out and whines like a little kid who didnt get his way.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    I root against Jeter, but recognize he is a hard charger and has personal and professional decency.
  • Options
    if St. Louis was in a different division they would have probably missed the playoffs. Didnt Philly have MORE wins than the Cards?

Pujuls is a whining biznitch. How many times did Ted Williams get ripped off for an MVP award? He should shut his mouth before he loses more credibility.
  • Options
    yawie99yawie99 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    While I think he was slightly shafted in the MVP balloting, Pujols needs to shut his trap and let his bat do the talking.

That said, why all the scorn for the Cardinals World Championship? Where was your team and its $556 trillion payroll, ctsoxfan? Sure, it wasn't the most graceful way to win a division, but there's nothing illegitimate about beating the consensus best teams in each league to win it all.
    imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Barndog, actually baseball history(of the Award) shows that is exactly what writers have valued...even though it is a stupid criteria. But that is exactly what they valued and in fact applied to Morneau this year, even though Morneau was the third best player on his own team. There were many candidtes better than Morneau, MANY.

While Pujols was actually a slight bit higher better than Howard AND he won the division(again, writers historically placed all emphasis on this), but he didn't win the award. It is a head scratcher, as has been most MVP and Cy Young awards.

I agree that he shouldn't cry about it....THOUGH I HOPE BOSTON FANS ARE NOT GETTING AMNESIA FOR THEIR GUY ORTIZ! He said some stupid cry baby stuff about why he was better and worthy of more praise than Jeter.

Jeter handled both injustices well...the Ortiz stuff, and the terrible MVP award.
  • Options

<< <i>Barndog, actually baseball history(of the Award) shows that is exactly what writers have valued...even though it is a stupid criteria. But that is exactly what they valued and in fact applied to Morneau this year, even though Morneau was the third best player on his own team. There were many candidtes better than Morneau, MANY. >>

I'm aware of preferences of writers/voters, but Pujols seems to want a criterion for the award to be membership of a playoff team...that's my beef and where I think Pujols is whining like a baby. Players like Clemente, Wills, Mays, Banks, Sauer, and Williams (I'm sure there are quite a few more) played for non-playoff teams yet still won the award. And yes, Ortiz cried too. He and Pujols share more than a fearsome presence in the batter's box.
  • Options
    Barndog, I agree 100% that being a member of a playoff team should not be a criteria.
  • Options

<< <i>Ya know, this and the comments he had about Tommy Glavine made me lose a little respect for Albert. Not too much, but a little. >>

My feelings precisely.

Where is frankhardy's opinion on this?
  • Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Pujols is a big freaking crybaby - I used to think this guy was pure class, but over the last year or so, he is showing more and more that class might not exactly be his middle name. This latest example is perhaps the worst. Weren't there also steroid allegations surrounding him over the last year?

Give me a break Albert - Ryan Howard was the deserved MVP of the NL. Be happy with the half-assed World Series win that your team backed into. >>

That is HI-freakin'-LARIOUS! David Ortiz came out and whined about not winning the MVP. Also, it amazes me how everybody thinks Pujols was whining. Nobody is taking his comments into context. This was in a news conference in the Dominican Republic, and he was asked a direct question, then he answered it with his opinion. If he was whining, he would have gotten on ESPN and whinned about it so that everyone could have seen it.

I do, however, that he should not have made the comments about Glavine.

I just can't understand why people are on his case, though. I believe that he IS a class act. People take a couple of isolated incidents and make a bad guy out of him. I have seen him interviewed dozens of times, watched him play, and heard many, many great stories about him. If you are a baseball fan, you might just take notice that we are watching one of the greatest baseball players to ever play.

Oh yeah, about the World Series. Let's see - the Cardinals beat the Tigers. The Tigers beat the Yankees. The Yankees made the playoffs ahead of - who - I think they beat out the Red Sox. Looks to me like they were about 4 notches down on the food chain.

Shane

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Those dogging Ortiz? Just stop.

People are selectively remembering what he said, and, as usual, the media took what he said out context.

The gist of his comments were that guys with 50+ HRs and 130+ RBIs were not overlooked in the MVP voting. He surely wasn't 'whining', and he surely wasn't stumping for his own merit.

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Pujols is a big freaking crybaby - I used to think this guy was pure class, but over the last year or so, he is showing more and more that class might not exactly be his middle name. This latest example is perhaps the worst. Weren't there also steroid allegations surrounding him over the last year?

Give me a break Albert - Ryan Howard was the deserved MVP of the NL. Be happy with the half-assed World Series win that your team backed into. >>

That is HI-freakin'-LARIOUS! David Ortiz came out and whined about not winning the MVP. Also, it amazes me how everybody thinks Pujols was whining. Nobody is taking his comments into context. This was in a news conference in the Dominican Republic, and he was asked a direct question, then he answered it with his opinion. If he was whining, he would have gotten on ESPN and whinned about it so that everyone could have seen it.

I do, however, that he should not have made the comments about Glavine.

I just can't understand why people are on his case, though. I believe that he IS a class act. People take a couple of isolated incidents and make a bad guy out of him. I have seen him interviewed dozens of times, watched him play, and heard many, many great stories about him. If you are a baseball fan, you might just take notice that we are watching one of the greatest baseball players to ever play.

Oh yeah, about the World Series. Let's see - the Cardinals beat the Tigers. The Tigers beat the Yankees. The Yankees made the playoffs ahead of - who - I think they beat out the Red Sox. Looks to me like they were about 4 notches down on the food chain. >>

I think that with the simple fact that he said it, he was whining. When asked, he could have simply said, congrats to Howard he had a great year, yada, yada... But he had to bring himself into it, and in saying something contrary to what the voters decided, regardless of context, he was whining. I for one think Jeter is grossly overrated, but the guy has enough class to compliment another player without the "but I" afterwards. I still have a lot of respect for Pujols and won't let this one instance completely tarnish my feelings about him.

By the way Frank, are you guys getting any snow yet?
    Travis
  • Options
    He just won the World Series, and he's crying over this?
  • Options
    I bet Howard would trade that MVP award for a World Series Ring any day!
  • Options

<< <i> If he was whining, he would have gotten on ESPN and whinned about it so that everyone could have seen it. >>

Funny, ESPN is exactly where I saw him whining. Not sure what you mean by that statement - if someone like Pujols says something like he did, it's sports news - and ESPN is going to cover it. How could he have said these things, and not been on ESPN?

You can't compare this to what Ortiz said anyway, Ortiz made a statement essentially saying that DH's get overlooked for the MVP despite big numbers, and he made the statement in September, not after the awards were given out.

And, let's face it - the fact the the Cardinals were such a weak World Series winning team is worth noting here. It makes Pujols whining even more out of place. Google "Worst World Series Team In History" and you'll get back thousands of articles about the 2006 Cardinals. Can you imagine the Cardinals in the AL East, playing the Red Sox and Yankees 21 times each? They would be sharing room in the cellar with the Devil Rays. I repeat, be happy your team was fortunate enough to win the Series, and realize the MVP was correctly awarded, Albert.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Google "Worst World Series Team In History" and you'll get back thousands of articles about the 2006 Cardinals. >>

Results 1 - 4 of about 7 for "Worst World Series Team In History". (0.41 seconds)
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Oh, it's on the Internets. I guess you're right then. The '06 Cardinals are in fact a disgrace and certainly would've lost to the other 90+ teams that have won the World Series.
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    It doesnt matter one lick what the Cardinals did in the regular season, how weak they were perceived, how weak they were compared to other teams this season or throughout history.

The won the world series for 2006 and nothing should be taken away from them for that, period.

All that said, Pujols is out of his mind for saying two words about the MVP. He would have been wrong if the Cards didnt win, and he definately looks worse considering they DID win the W.S.

Albert needs to get a grip. For a guy that supposedly cared 100% solely on winning he should have been content doing just that.

Between this and what he said regarding Glavine he isnt making too many friends lately. I wouldnt be a bit surprised if in the coming year or two the media begins to be a bit tougher on him, maybe even trying to dig up more dirt or controversy regarding his age or possible performance enhancing drug use.

Either way the charmed life he has led thus far wont be such an easy road in years to follow and he has nobody but himself to thank for it.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options

<< <i>By the way Frank, are you guys getting any snow yet? >>

Not yet. I live in Western KY, but am out of town now. No snow at home or here.

Shane

• Options
    (clearing throat sound). People just jump to too many conclusions and automatically think the worst in people. I refuse to, even from a team or player I don't necessarily like. Read this.

Lost in translation

Shane

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Are we doing the same thing today with Pujols as we did with the Mcgwires and Sosas and Bonds? Looking the other way and assuming he is more like Ruth than he is like Bonds? The players are always going to be one step ahead if they want to be. Pujols sure looks really big compared to his first few years. Like George Bush says "Fool me once, shame on you. But...uh..you can't... um...you can't fool a fool ...er... you can't fool a fool again...
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Holy Cow! Something worth noting in the RFT? Our once-proud alternative weekly has became virtually unreadable.
  • Options
    That RFT piece really doesn't add much. The translation is accurate.
  • Options

<< <i>That RFT piece really doesn't add much. The translation is accurate. >>

I agree. The article says that he said that he felt he deserved the award, that he had better numbers than Howard, and that Howard didn't deserve to win because he didn't lead his team to the playoffs. Exactly what we thought he said.

Face it, this guys a crybaby, and when you add these remarks to the one he made about Glavine earlier, it puts him in a new light as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't he realize that the Phillies actually won two more games in the regular season than the Cardinals did? Give it up, Albert - go start preparing for the Cardinals mighty 81-81 campaign of 2007.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Face it, this guys a crybaby, and when you add these remarks to the one he made about Glavine earlier, it puts him in a new light as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't he realize that the Phillies actually won two more games in the regular season than the Cardinals did? Give it up, Albert - go start preparing for the Cardinals mighty 81-81 campaign of 2007.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    this from espn.com today:

Speaking in Spanish at a news conference in the Dominican Republic last week, Pujols was quoted as saying: "I see it this way: Someone who doesn't take his team to the playoffs doesn't deserve to win the MVP."

Pujols told USA Today he was hurt at how his comments were portrayed in the media.

"The way that came out hurt me big time," Pujols told the newspaper. "I'm very angry about that."

He goes from bad to worse! First, he whines about it. Next, he is trying to blame the media. He's angry, he just doesn't know he should be angry at himself for whining aloud and blaming the media for reporting what he said.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    This is unbelievable. Am I the only person here who's ever said something stupid and later regretted it? So Pujols got fired up that he didn't win the MVP. Big deal. For one, he probably should have won it, so you can't blame him for being a little peeved. And secondly, I doubt he spent the previous month meditating on how he was going to explain to the free world his theories on who should and shouldn't qualify for the award. He probably just popped off when the question was presented to him.

Also, let's all just ease up on the 'I've lost respect for Albert Pujols' bit. He's a baseball player, not the Dali Lama. I don't know what all you guys expect from your pro athletes, but I'm generally happy if they don't kill their ex-wives or turn to drug smuggling to supplement their already obscene incomes. How they feel about individual awards is about as important to me as how often they attend church.
  • Options
    Boo, you just might be the board's Dali Lama based on that post.

And I've been meaning to say, great Coltrane quote.
  • Options
    I read the story and it really doesn't change the essence of what he was was quoted as saying. Having said that, I am by no means ready to quit cheering for the guy, I really want to like him, and I think that's my problem. So many of today's top stars are either tools or cheats (or both) that when I see a guy lwith the ability of Albert (who I believe is the best player in the game) I really want to cheer for him.

Oh well, I've said some stupid things in the past too, so I won't hold this (or his Tommy Glavine comments) against him, but I REALLY hope this doesn't become a pattern for him.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That RFT piece really doesn't add much. The translation is accurate. >>

I agree. The article says that he said that he felt he deserved the award, that he had better numbers than Howard, and that Howard didn't deserve to win because he didn't lead his team to the playoffs. Exactly what we thought he said.

Face it, this guys a crybaby, and when you add these remarks to the one he made about Glavine earlier, it puts him in a new light as far as I'm concerned. Doesn't he realize that the Phillies actually won two more games in the regular season than the Cardinals did? Give it up, Albert - go start preparing for the Cardinals mighty 81-81 campaign of 2007. >>

I am not sure how 2007 will go. I do know this - on opening day at Busch, the public address announcer will say, "your 2006 World Series Champion St Louis Cardinals". That's enough for me and every Cardinals fan for now. Oh yeah, and Albert Pujols will end up 2007 with, oh, 48 HR, 145 RBI's, and a .335 avg. Yawn.

Shane

• Options

<< <i>Oh yeah, and Albert Pujols will end up 2007 with, oh, 48 HR, 145 RBI's, and a .335 avg. Yawn. >>

Yes, but he'll probably complain about official scorers robbing him of 5 RBI's during the season, so he can't get to 150.