Home Sports Talk
Options

Some HOF voting, and waiting periods that may surprise you...

Some Hall of Fame voting that may surprise you.

JOE DIMAGGIO
1954 ........69.44

GAYLORD PERRY

DUKE SNIDER
1971 ........24.72
1972 ........21.21
1975 ........35.64
1976 ........40.98
1978 ........67.02
1979 .........71.30

There are more, but gotta run. Rice and Blyleven are traveling a similar ascent to past guys.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Some Hall of Fame voting that may surprise you.

JOE DIMAGGIO
    1954 ........69.44

GAYLORD PERRY

DUKE SNIDER
    1971 ........24.72
    1972 ........21.21
    1975 ........35.64
    1976 ........40.98
    1978 ........67.02
    1979 .........71.30

There are more, but gotta run. Rice and Blyleven are traveling a similar ascent to past guys. >>

That is a bit of a surprise about DiMaggio. Maybe his reputation for being cheap and never picking up a check had something to do with it. I'm almost not kidding - sportswriters are mostly a bunch of prima donnas for sure.

But of course most likely the main reason is he didn't have a "long" career and accumulate "big" numbers in categories such as lifetime HRs and RBIs.
  • Options
    Another surprising one is Jimmie Foxx, the man retired with 535 HRs, 2nd all time (at that point) only to Ruth. yet he had to wait several years to be inducted.
  • Options
    Foxx got in on the eigth try!

Hank Greenberg tenth try!

Lefty Grove fifth try!

Marichal third try!

Berra, and W. Ford second try.

Some very bad voting here. Foxx, Greenberg, and Grove is in comprehensible to have waited that long. I know that many writers didn't vote for the first year on purpose, but how it got to that long just shows how foolish these guys can be.
  • Options
    In regards to Greenberg, perhaps three was some anti-jewish sentiment going on there...I have heard speculation that the reason he was not pitched to in the final games of the year he hit 58 HR's was because of anti-jewish feelings.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Give the writers their 10 votes they have now.

Give players one year of eligibility...you're either in or you're not. No 'veteran's committee' crapola. You're either good enough to get in on the first ballot, or you're not good enough at all.

This will make voters actually pay attention and merit induction to those who deserve it, and spare guys year after year of agony and waiting.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Give the writers their 10 votes they have now.

Give players one year of eligibility...you're either in or you're not. No 'veteran's committee' crapola. You're either good enough to get in on the first ballot, or you're not good enough at all.

This will make voters actually pay attention and merit induction to those who deserve it, and spare guys year after year of agony and waiting. >>

What if in the same year, you had;

Griffey
    Thomas
    Biggio
    Piazza
    Delgado
    A Rod
    Thome
    Ichiro
    Pedro
    Maddux
    Johnson
    Clemens

All eligible for their only year. Wouldn't it upset you when A-Rod and Ichiro were both left out forever? image
    Travis
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Of course I would be, but has any HoF voting class ever been anywhere near 10 players (I'm not counting the veteran's committee votes).

• Options
    I agree that writers need to do better research and homework, but a one and done isn't necessarily the best thing. What can happen with one and done?

1)The opposite effect could happen, and they vote too many guys in for fear that they may be mistakingly bypassing somebody.

2)Five years after, and the subsequent fifteen years allows time for players to be better put into the context of their playing days. This era is a perfect example. It is going to take some time for the smoke to clear and time to settle what the heck to do with McGwire etc...

3) I think Lefty Grove was a pretty good example too. I don't think the writers really recognized how great the man was, and how tough it was to pitch in the 30's. A real good analyst SHOULD recognize it, but these are writers.

I think the current system is actually pretty good, its just that many writers need to educate themselves, or be educated a little bit bitter on what merits a great player. Writers also need to be chosen better too. I'm not sure how the selection process goes right now, but there have been instances of guys not even bothering to vote, or guys who just belonged to the BBWA, but weren't really knowledgeable at all about baseball. How clowns lick that are even allowed to vote is beyond comprehension. If a guy doesn't turn in a ballot, it should be the last ballot he ever gets.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>In regards to Greenberg, perhaps three was some anti-jewish sentiment going on there...I have heard speculation that the reason he was not pitched to in the final games of the year he hit 58 HR's was because of anti-jewish feelings. >>

That is true about Greenberg...he was pitched around late in the season because a number of people didn't want a Jew breaking Ruth's record. To the Jews back then it wasn't that big a deal - it was a different time in America and things such as this were more or less accepted as part of the culture.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>In regards to Greenberg, perhaps three was some anti-jewish sentiment going on there...I have heard speculation that the reason he was not pitched to in the final games of the year he hit 58 HR's was because of anti-jewish feelings. >>

That is true about Greenberg...he was pitched around late in the season because a number of people didn't want a Jew breaking Ruth's record. To the Jews back then it wasn't that big a deal - it was a different time in America and things such as this were more or less accepted as part of the culture. >>

Actually, he denounces that rumor in the book "Glory of Their Times". As a matter of fact, he stated that in one game the catcher was actually telling him what pitches were coming next to help him out. He was at 58 homers with 5 games left in the season and one of those games was one where Bob Feller, if I remember right, struck out 18 batters (then a record) and he wiffed twice. I'm not saying it didn't happen a couple of at bats here and there, but he stated himself that he didn't believe it to be true.
    * '72 BASEBALL #15 100%
    * C. PASCUAL BASIC #3
    * T. PEREZ BASIC #4 100%
    * L. TIANT BASIC #1
    * DRYSDALE BASIC #4 100%
    * MAGIC MASTER #4/BASIC #3
    * PALMEIRO MASTER/BASIC #1
    * '65 DISNEYLAND #2
    * '78 ELVIS PRESLEY #6
    * '78 THREE'S COMPANY #1

WaltDisneyBoards