Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

OT - Scanner suggestions

Hey gang.

I've been using my old HP ScanJet 3300C scanner for years now, and have been generally happy with it. It produces great scans, albeit a bit slowly (especially when running them descreened). I'm looking to buy a new PC in the very near future (this weekend to be precise), but have found that HP no longer supports the 3300 in new builds of XP, just versions that had upgraded from 98 (like mine). In preparation for this, I looked around at some reviews, and ended up buying a Canon 4200F, as the reviews raved about how quick it was and how great the scans were. It arrived on Tuesday, and while the scans themselves are nice, the software the scanner uses are a bunch of junk, and I'm just about ready to return the scanner after just 2 days.

Can anyone make a scanner recomendation? My second choice had been the HP Scanjet 4890, but went with the Canon since it was about $80 cheaper. Any suggestions or recomendations would be appreciated.
Who is Rober Maris?

Comments

• Options
    I recently decided to get rid of my Canon LiDE 60 - horrible at scanning cards. After reading some opinions on this board and others, the consensus was that the HP Scanjet 3970 was the choice of most and was a great scanner for slabbed cards. I am waiting on one that I bought off ebay so I haven't had any experience yet. Ebay is likely the only place you'll find it now though.

Mike
  • Options
    Everyone is throwing around a lot of high numbers which must mean they are the latest and greatest, but my HP2210 scanner-copier-fax has always been reliable for great scans, making copies, printing photos and receiving faxes. It may be a dinosaur by todays standards, but you cant beat it for the price that was paid for it....
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    How did you get it to work when you upgraded to XP? I have the same scanner at home on a 98 right now. I wish I could use it on my other PC's but they are all XP. Did they send you some type of patch? If so do you still have the file???

Let me know. jradke4@uic.edu or PM me.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭
    I just bought an HP 4370 (flatbed scanner only). I should be getting it today. I asked around and HP's were highly recommended, so I'm hoping for good things out of this sucker, mainly speedy scans. My old a$$ Visioneer paid for itself dozens of times over. Bought it for like $50 about 10 years ago and it's still going. I had to upgrade though because I just bought a new computer and I wanted my hardware to be on par with it. If anyone wants a slow Visioneer scanner for $10 + shipping, I'm your man! image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    I'll have to say, the Visioneers are simple to use and do some pretty nice scans. Of course not as good as those expensive ones but still do an excellent job. I had a 9160 and it was pretty quick.

I had purchased a Canon and threw it in the closet! It absolutely sucked!

I'll either be purchasing a new Visioneer or an HP
  • Options
    I have a Visioneer OneTouch 5800 for the past 3-4 years now.
    The best $49.95 I've ever spent.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    Use this link. It apparently only works for machines that were 98 to start with, then had XP installed on over them. You could try it as a stand alone I suppose.

<< <i>How did you get it to work when you upgraded to XP? I have the same scanner at home on a 98 right now. I wish I could use it on my other PC's but they are all XP. Did they send you some type of patch? If so do you still have the file???

Let me know. jradke4@uic.edu or PM me. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    So I got my HP 4370 scanner today and I've been playing around scanning some cards, but there seems to be this very light blue haze that I can't get rid of. Also, unlike my previous Visioneer scanner, there is some type of weird feature right in the center above the glass. Not sure if that's what's causing it, but I could use some help. image
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    If it's in the cover of the scanner, it's probably a film negative holder.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options

<< <i>If it's in the cover of the scanner, it's probably a film negative holder. >>

I think you're right. It's a pain though, because now I have to put a backing behind what I'm scanning, whereas I didn't have to do that before.
  • Options
    Great topic! I just got an HP Officejet 5610 scanner-copier-fax for $119 at Wal-Mart on sale. Has anyone used it to scan cards?
  • Options
    See if it came with any sort of extra backing. The Canon that I'm possibly returning does, and most of the ones I've seen with that "door" usually do.

<< <i>

<< <i>If it's in the cover of the scanner, it's probably a film negative holder. >>

I think you're right. It's a pain though, because now I have to put a backing behind what I'm scanning, whereas I didn't have to do that before. >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Ask Zef which scanner he has. His are the best scans I've ever seen.
  • Options
    I too have a HP 3970. Paid around $80 delivered for it. Seems to produce decent scans, although the software (cropping and re-sizing the scans) took some getting use to. I use to have an older HP model which worked great too, but my newer Dell system didn't support the software any longer.

On my newer scanner, there's a built in slide deal on the cover. So to get that to disappear during scans, I simply leave the cover open, which produces a black background.

I still would rather use my older scanner, but time marches on.

Regards,
    Rich
  • Options
    Picked up a 4in1 Lexmark X1240 in a early Xmas sale at Walmart. Pretty fast printing, excellent scanning and prints color photos perfectly. For $30 it can't be beat.
  • Options
    I too have the HP 3970, and as mentioned above the software took some getting used to but I love it now. I had an HP previous but it died, or I would probably still be using that one. In addition to the scanner software I also use Irfan for displaying, resizing and rotating images.
  • Options

<< <i>See if it came with any sort of extra backing. The Canon that I'm possibly returning does, and most of the ones I've seen with that "door" usually do. >>

No luck.
  • Options
    How long does it take for your scanners to run one descreened scan? My 3300C takes about 19 seconds per descreened scan (the best setting for scanning cards).
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    tkd7tkd7 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    I just purchased a Epson V100 Photo flatbed scanner and it works great.
  • Options