Home Stamps Forum
Options

Mom's collection...

... was left to me after she passed. It consists of various world and US Stamps and a couple hundred plate blocks of US stamps in glassine envelopes. She also had a few 'first day of issue' envelopes. What is the best way to sell these items without getting ripped off? I am a coin collector and stamps just aren't my thing. Is there an online price guide that I can refer to with regard to the value of the plate blocks? Or can smoebody recommend a dealer on Long Island who is just? or a show?
I don't like eBay and I would rather just sell the entire collection in one fell swoop. I am going to move across country and am trying to rid myself of things I don't want or need (like the in-laws).

Thank you all, in advance, for your replies.

Rudy
Successful transactions with: DCarr, Meltdown, Notwilight, Loki, MMR, Musky1011, cohodk, claychaser, cheezhed, guitarwes, Hayden, USMoneyLover

Proud recipient of two "You Suck" awards

Comments

• Options
    Rudy - I think it will be hard to get ripped off as I don't think it sounds like there is much value there. Plate blocks and mint singles of nearly all US stamps back into the late 1930's are worth only face except a few $5 face value stamps and a couple others - the last plate block/complete sheet hoard I purchased was at 80% of face value. I use the stuff for postage but it difficult fitting 3c stamps on an envelope. The First Day Covers dated after 1945 are mostly under 5c each - in bulk they are approaching zero.

Now to your question - I would suggest selling locally at a yard sale - the least knowledgable buyers will likely pay more than they are worth. I did an article a few years ago that might help: Selling Stamps On Ebay.

Good luck,

Richard Frajola
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options
    Do you have a copy of Linn's? There are several organizations you can also donate the stamps too and it's tax deductible.

Jerry