Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If a coin is dipped/lightly cleaned...

TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,892 ✭✭✭✭✭
Is it possible to run it through circulation and maybe get an original look to it, then get it encapsulated by PCGS ?

For instance, I found this coin on ebay and a decent collector coin, except I wouldn't want to be seen with it looking the way it is. Could I run it to the baker, the butcher, the candlestick maker, mechanic, and all my friends and through their kid's hands to put it into it's NORMAL STATE, then get it graded ? Would it be worth the trouble ? Has anyone ever tried ?
Ebay coin in question :

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    not very likely.

But I'm no expert.
  • Options
    If it has been only lightly cleaned, then carrying it around in your pocket change for about a month will work. But if it has been whizzed, then carrying it for years won't even work.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yes, but I don't think that one will due to the rim damage.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, but I don't think that one will due to the rim damage. >>

thanks Dog... I thought that , too. The thread is actually intended for ANY coin, though. This one in particular was snatched up for my example. I do know of many Morgans that are sweeeeet coins had it not been the DIPPING. Same with many BUST HALVES.

Joe
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You may want to get some books on patinating metals. An artist who works with silver (and there are a lot of them) could probably tell you how to do it.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Putting color on a coin is a long honored tradition in getting blah coins holdered.
  • Options
    image I didn't want to doctor them, fellas image (color/patination)
    I want to UN DOCTOR THEM image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file