Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BOX #1 First Strikes NGC

Ok I was watching coin vault this evening and Chambers was selling NGC 2006 ASE's with the label Box #1 First Strikes. Box #2 First Strikes and so forth. He states that someone at NGC has certification from some official at the U.S. Mint that these boxes were the first struck ,the actual true meaning of what a first struck coin is, not first shipped like the other first strikes. Anybody else see this. The U.S. Mint clarified this year that they do not document first strike coins.

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ok I was watching coin vault this evening and Chambers was selling NGC 2006 ASE's with the label Box #1 First Strikes. Box #2 First Strikes and so forth. He states that someone at NGC has certification from some official at the U.S. Mint that these boxes were the first struck ,the actual true meaning of what a first struck coin is, not first shipped like the other first strikes. Anybody else see this. The U.S. Mint clarified this year that they do not document first strike coins. >>

If NGC has certification that means there should be official US Mint documentation right? If they do have it, they'll probably show it to get the legal case dismissed so it may appear sooner rather than later. Has he claimed to actually see this certification?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Chambers claims someone at NGC has contact with some U.S. Mint Official. These are different labels than the regular first strikes. They are labeled BOX #1 First Strikes, etc. Could be heresay, who knows.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NGC should publically confirm or denounce this. If they won't confirm it, they should go after him for stating such as he is putting them in a bad position.
    Failure by their legal department to act is a black eye for them.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the very least they should explain what "BOX #1 First Strikes" means. Is there a photo of that insert anywhere?
  • Options
    WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Supposedly inside the sealed box is a "check tab" enclosed in the green monsters to record count. These are dated stamped certified by the mint...the mint can go back through their minting records and determine when the coin was struck according to the "check tab" date.

Coin Vault meets with NCG, NCG meets with US Mint oficials and Mint officials say yea/nay on production times.

Legit...who knows, the public seems to buy into this first business.
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I just called NGC and they confirm that the first strike definition has not changed. It is still the coins released in the first 30 days from the Mint. Of course I just talked to a customer rep there, no one higher up. I mentioned this special labeling of the "First Strike Box #1 and the rep still holds firm with their First Strike definition. I just viewed Coin Vault again and this is what Chambers is saying: NGC has confirmation from the Assistand Director of Design of the U.S. Mint that these are the first boxes made. His check tabs are July 25, 2005. He has the first 100 boxes. He is stating that these coins are the first coins made on brand new dies(maybe for box #1 but not the other boxes), a direct contradiction of the actual meaning of NGC's First Strike Definition. I am having problems linking to the actual item but you can go to shopathometv.com and look under the coin categories. This is a preview show and he will be on this weekend hawking these. Has anyone else seen this? He is also selling these in sets only. The only one that would be a true first strike would be box #1. When you get to box #20 you have 10,000 minted already.
  • Options

<< <i>He is stating that these coins are the first coins made on brand new dies >>

The mint makes many dies.Who can be certain in what order the mint uses thes dies...?!?!?!
    ......Larry........image
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    I saw the Coin Vault show last night also. Look, we all know that NOBODY has a record of the real first strike coins. What they have is a packing list that shows on July 25th or whatever date a green monster box was PACKAGED by the mint. It apparently was the first date used to show packaging. The minted coins that went into the box came from the production lines. How many of these were done and in what time frame is all GUESSING.

This whole first strike stuff is just stupid marketing. In reality, only the uninformed would spend EXTRA money to get one of these boxes. What the folks who buy on Coin Vault are getting is a LABEL. If they are happy with the label and the coin that comes with it, so be it. Steveimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file