Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

If you owned this coin would you dip it?

and do you think it would do any good?

NEN eBay link

To NEN's credit, they say it isn't a PF68.

DPOTD-3
'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don

Comments

• Options
    wow, tough call. I would be afraid to dip it, but I wouldn't want it looking like that.

I might send it to NCS, I suppose.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    I would just pass on it & look for another. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Don:

I once owned this coin (bought off of ebay and returned it) and I didn't think it would grade past PR64 cameo JMHO.3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dip may not be enough. Looks like it may be lacquered. But I'd do whatever it takes to improve its appearance.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    BurksBurks Posts: 1,103
    That'd be on the next shipment to NCS if it was mine.
    WTB: Eric Plunk cards, jersey (signed or unsigned), and autographs. Basically anything related to him

Positive BST: WhiteThunder (x2), Ajaan, onefasttalon, mirabela, Wizard1, cucamongacoin, mccardguy1

Negative BST: NONE!
  • Options
    I agree with the NCS idea, I certainly wouldn't buy it with a view to sending it though - I would look for a better example to start with

Dr J
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    don't buy someone else's problem

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What Ricke said.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd also pass. There are too many other good coins out there.
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I would not get that. Looks like some environmental damage on the obverse and even NCS would not be able to help. Multiple dippings might not help the coin too.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it were mine (never mind how it became mine), I wouldn't dip it only because I've never dipped a coin and would be afraid of making it worse (the most I've done is a little olive oil, a little acetone, and a few stabs at MS70....). I'd be asking someone else to do it or get it to the NCS guys.

Cathy

• Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    I would try MS70 on that one, but I doubt it would help. Dipping might make it look worse.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I believe the problem with that coin is that it was dipped and not properly rinsed, I have seen countless examples that look just like that. Another quick dip should make it look great!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some weird reason I find this coin to be very fascinating. I don't know if I find it $275 fascinating, but fascinating none the less.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

<< <i>and do you think it would do any good?

NEN eBay link

To NEN's credit, they say it isn't a PF68. >>

Don:

You will never be able to dip out the hairlines and it may have some lacquer on it. Doesn't look as bad in hand, but should never go past a 64. It is a very hard coin in gem proof and that is the reason that I bought it (and returned it the same day).3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Break it out and send it to AGC and try for a PR 70.image
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Break it out and send it to AGC and try for a PR 70.image >>

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    If you owned this coin would you dip it?

Mon vieux, I can remember a time when those words would never have left your lips, verbally or "post"-ally...

Not that I blame you, the world of numismatics has changed; and in no small measure because of forums like these (especially this one) that let cutting-edge dealers- side-by-side with your everyday/expert collector- express their opinions, share anecdotes and auction information, and gauge and influence trends.
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato