Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Mailing to PSA question

I've never mailed to PSA. Per their instructions, you're not supposed to seal the package with clear tape? You should use the brown paper packaging tape? Has anyone submitted using the regular clear packaging tape?

Comments

• Options
    The reason they say that is because they would like you to send it registered mail. If you do send it that way they won't accept the clear tape. I have always sent it via priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance and have never had any issues.
  • Options
    ElemenopeoElemenopeo Posts: 2,577 ✭✭

<< <i>The reason they say that is because they would like you to send it registered mail. If you do send it that way they won't accept the clear tape. I have always sent it via priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance and have never had any issues. >>

Same here. Never had any problems.

• Options
    If you are near Newport (since your user name is SoCalGuy1967), you can also drop them off in person at PSA Public Fridays they have every month. I would have liked to do it for this months special but I didn't get my order together in time.
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    My first time I used clear tape and the post office made my re-pack it. The reason is the post office puts a stamp on almost every seam to ensure it hasn't been tampered with. The stamp can be rubbed off on the clear tape.

I have never sent it in priority because I didn't think we could. How high can you insure priority?
  • Options

<< <i>My first time I used clear tape and the post office made my re-pack it. The reason is the post office puts a stamp on almost every seam to ensure it hasn't been tampered with. The stamp can be rubbed off on the clear tape.

I have never sent it in priority because I didn't think we could. How high can you insure priority? >>

$500.

Mark
    1981-82 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1992-93 Topps Basketball PSA 9 or 10
    1976 Topps Baseball PSA 9 or 10
    1981 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1982 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1986 Topps Los Angeles Dodgers PSA 9 or 10
    1975 Topps Wacky Packages Series 15 PSA 9 or 10
  • Options

<< <i>$500. >>

That's what I thought.
  • Options
    The $500 figure you gave is not true. This is right from the USPS.com website.

"Insured Mail provides coverage against loss or damage up to $5,000 for Parcel Post, Bound Printed Matter, and Media Mail matter as well as merchandise mailed at Priority Mail or First-Class Mail rates."
  • Options
    From what I hear the clear tape can be heated and removed easily and the contents removed without any evidence of it being there as opposed to the other tape.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Now I remember, You can only insure it up to $500 online, at the post office you can go higher.
  • Options
    gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭
    After about $700-$800, registered becomes cheaper than Priority insured. The insurance rates are much cheaper on registered mail. Just don't use Fedex either way as the coverage is limited to only $500 no matter what the insured value is. They'll take your $$ for as much insurance as you want, but when a claim comes up... sports collectibles, including cards are covered only to $500.
  • Options
    My experience with registered mail mirrors everyone else's -- they require you to use the brown paper tape so that evidence of tampering will be more visible. I learned that the hard way a couple years ago when they wouldn't take a box I'd sealed with standard plastic packing tape.

I actually tend to ship cards to PSA through FedEx. The post office is an inconvenient trip for me, but FedEx-Kinkos is right down the block. I pack per PSA's instructions but use the standard sized free FedEx boxes. Haven't had a problem yet, and the cards tend to get there lickety split (I pay for the three day saver shipping, but they always seem to arrive next day). PSA's packages are held at the FedEx location, so a company rep actually has to pick them up and sign for them. Being able to track the package up to the minute is nice too. The post office tends to take forever to update their tracking info.

Of course, it's true that FedEx only covers certain items, such as collectibles, up to $500. Thankfully I've never sent in that much value in a single package.
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    I've started using FedEx for modern subs ($500 is max claim, as previously stated) ..... FedEx costs me around $11 --- vs. $23+ or whatever PSA charges for registered....

When I'm mailing TO psa, I usually use Priority + Insurance.

With an expensive vintage sub, I'll either drop it off (45 minute drive from LA), or ship registered.

-Tom
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My experience with registered mail mirrors everyone else's -- they require you to use the brown paper tape so that evidence of tampering will be more visible. I learned that the hard way a couple years ago when they wouldn't take a box I'd sealed with standard plastic packing tape. >>

<< <i>The reason they say that is because they would like you to send it registered mail. If you do send it that way they won't accept the clear tape. I have always sent it via priority mail with delivery confirmation and insurance and have never had any issues. >>

So can I take it then that using Priority Mail lets you avoid having to wrap the package in this particular style of tape? That you can use whatever packaging specs Priority Mail usually uses?
  • Options

<< <i>So can I take it then that using Priority Mail lets you avoid having to wrap the package in this particular style of tape? That you can use whatever packaging specs Priority Mail usually uses? >>

For priority I always use the 3M clear package tape. Not sure if priority has any certain guidelines.
  • Options
    If you've ever gotten a submission back from PSA then you know why the post office requires the brown packing tape for registered mail. You can't peel it off no matter what you do. Find the seams in the box and cut through it is the only way to get the box open.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Priority mail is great--free delivery confirmation and you can order shipping boxes of various sizes free of charge on the USPS web site.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options