Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can Anybody Post An Image Of What PVC Damage Looks Like?

Cathy's post about a potential PVC deposit on a coin of hers got me thinking about PVC damage.
I would like to see some images of the after-effects of coins that have been eaten by PVC. Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something like this, I believe ...

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think he means the actual damage to the coin that resides underneath the green goo.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think he means the actual damage to the coin that resides underneath the green goo. >>

Do you mean like this? - Preussen

"Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    3Mark3Mark Posts: 593 ✭✭✭
    Steve:

Excellant picture of PVC and the damage done by itimage I hate PVC.3Mark
    I'm traveling on memory and running out of fuel.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I think he means the actual damage to the coin that resides underneath the green goo. >>

Do you mean like this? - Preussen

image >>

I wonder if that is damage caused by PVC? I think it is too local in nature and if caused by PVC would be accompanied by large areas that are discolored even after treatment to revove the PVC. Just thinking out loud here, I may be wrong.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if that is damage caused by PVC? I think it is too local in nature and if caused by PVC would be accompanied by large areas that are discolored even after treatment to revove the PVC. Just thinking out loud here, I may be wrong. >>

Definitely PVC IMO. I've seen PVC deposits in localized areas of coins on many occasions. - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking Jester ought to comment right about now... he's a great raconteur concerning PVC and has a memorable story about a heck of a collection that saw bad times stored near the ocean.image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any thread that brings out the MadMarty Magic Crystals Lincoln cent is a winner.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if that is damage caused by PVC? I think it is too local in nature and if caused by PVC would be accompanied by large areas that are discolored even after treatment to revove the PVC. Just thinking out loud here, I may be wrong. >>

Definitely PVC IMO. I've seen PVC deposits in localized areas of coins on many occasions. - Preussen >>

While I don't wish to question the experience of Preussen, I tend to go along with Aethelred's line of reasoning that PVC usually presents itself in more than one or two spots like this coin; besides, these two spots appear to be corrosion consistent with verdigree. If these spots were indeed PVC-related, why aren't they in evidence anywhere else on the coin (assuming of course that the PVC holder made contact with the whole surface of the coin and not just in these two spots. Maybe I'm just inexperienced and haven't occasioned upon this type of PVC damage; in any case, I've never seen PVC attack like this.

As Laurent mentioned, I was indeed subjected to the horror of finding nearly my whole coin collection destroyed by PVC and the elements. It had been sitting outside in an unventilated shed in the heat and humidity of Florida, on the coast, for over 5 years. Remarkably, the coins which were in Mylar holders suffered absolutely no ill effects, so salt, heat and humidity were ruled out as causitive factors in the damage. PVC was the culprit, and besides all the green goo all over the coins, both silver and copper, they were literally eaten away by the hydrochloric acid. I mean moon-crater pitting all over the coins. Below I've attached the only scans I have at present (admittedly, rather poor images) of two of my Morgans. Notice how one is a DMPL uncirculated CC dollar!! Boo-hoo-hoo... image how I cried when I saw the damage to all my DMPL CC Morgans... Though the scans are poor, you can still make out the damage. In the CC coin, all spots that aren't mirror black represent pitting. The same is true of the New Orleans coin, where the damage is a bit worse. Literally, the coins were eaten alive by the acids caused by PVC, and have gaping pits all over them.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22