Home Stamps Forum
Options

Quandry: quick profit or long haul?

Background: I've always enjoyed the 19th-century surface-printed issues of Great Britain. I have a reasonable collection, including examples not just by Scott #, but by plate numbers as well. I am most definitely NOT an expert though, at least not as most serious GB collectors consider themselves (just the fact that I use Scott and not Stanley Gibbons would indicate that). Of course I have some major holes in the collection, so it's an ongoing endeavor that I come back to every few years just for the fun of it.

A couple of weeks back I happened to be in the right place at the right time and was able to purchase a highly complete British collection covering 1840-1940, which includes quite a few of the pieces missing from my own collection. While many of the early issues are somewhat faulty as to be expected, the price was low enough that it really didn't matter.

I just finished analyzing the collection and making sure everything was there that was claimed to be there, and updating the value as per 2007 Scott. It ended up being a fair amount more valuable than I anticipated, totalling approximately $55,000 Scott. Unlike a lot of collections you see on Ebay, it's not just a bunch of medium values in high quantity resulting in a huge total. There is virtually no duplication, other than different plate numbers, a few multiples, and some ivory heads in the 1840s. There are a few relatively big ticket items, such as the two 10-shilling QV from 1883, the square 1-pound violet, rectangular 1 pound green, etc. (sorry, no catalog in front of me to get exact numbers).

I'm torn by what to do with the collection. The options as I see them:

1. Turn the collection around as is for a quick profit. Downside: some of the items in this collection I've been hunting for at a reasonable price for ages, and the odds of my finding them again without spending an arm and 3 legs is unlikely.

2. Cherrypick the items I need for my personal collection and remainder the rest intact for a quick sale. Downside: I would be pulling a LARGE portion of both the value and the allure from the collection by cherrypicking it, so I have no idea what the remainder might bring.

3. Cherrypick the items I need and prepare the remainder as singles/sets for sale either through Ebay or the APS Store. Downside: could take forever to recoup.

4. Leave the collection as is and squirrel it away long term. Just comparing 2006 Scott to 2007 Scott, the value of the collection has gone up over $4,000 in a year. These issues aren't likely to become more common as time goes by. image

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    Coinpictures - I can't recommend a course of action but will give you a couple comments to consider. First, I wouldn't consider it as an investment that will appreciate substantially - if you want to invest, blow the collection and take the money to buy a couple high quality, rare items. Second, the market for the better pound value GB stamps is very high right now and you will get a very good percent of catalog value even for faulty (maybe even 50% for the 5 pound orange). Other than the keys, the market is softish - particularly for the usual heavily cancelled stamps found in most American collections. These might only fetch 3% of catalog at ebay sale. Collection lots that include some of the keys bring OK prices on ebay if you have enough pictures in the description.

Personally, I would take the money and start a specialized collection in some subset of Great Britain that appeals most to you (and is comfortabl within your stamp budget). I happen to have a collection of my initials on imperforate GB - exhibit is here. (The Vanity and the Insanity).

Anyhow, enjoy and have fun.

Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
    Richard Frajola
    www.rfrajola.com
  • Options

<< <i>3. Cherrypick the items I need and prepare the remainder as singles/sets for sale either through Ebay or the APS Store. Downside: could take forever to recoup >>

I would cherrypick and sell the remainder as singles/sets. It might take longer but then you have the stamps you need for your collection. Think of it as long term investing rather than a quick profit.