Home Metal Detecting
Options

a few old coins

Finds from last weekend. An 1882 Indian and a 1919 Lincoln. Both were heavily crusted....found in an old dried out swimming hole. The shirt/collar stay and 1867 Shield nickel were found a few feet apart. Perhaps lost when someone was getting undressed for a swim?
I'll spend the 1919, but the 1882 pushes my Indian collection slightly towards being more complete. I think I have half, maybe two-thirds of all the years.
"A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs

Comments

• Options
    kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    Great finds, especially the shield!
  • Options
    nice finds sean!.....hh
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice going on the shield and the IH!!HH,Tom
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTG, WWIT! Especially on the Shield nickel- I have only dug one so far.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    >>I'll spend the 1919<<
    ???????????
    With the price of copper?
    You could DRILL a hole in it and use as a washer.
    Give it to a KID to start a new collection.
    Plant it in some tot lot.

I'll spend the 1919 --- LOL

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Sweet Shield Nickel!
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Nice finds! Is that nickel with or without rays?
    Bob
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    Nice!
    What is the collar stay made of?
  • Options
    Nice work!

Nominated!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    How did you go about cleaning the indian? Nice nickel too! I have never seen one with a green patina on it before.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the comments.

The Shield is an 1867 without rays. It's not really green...more of a black patina, and I dusted it a bit with some chalk to make the design easier to see. Otherwise they look like dark featureless blobs in the album.

The collar stay is brass with a celluloid white coating on the round part. The coating is cracked.

All the coins were cleaned with a diluted solution of CLR (Calcium Lime Rust remover....like Limeaway). Since they'd been underwater a long time, these coins all had a concretion of sand & verdigris covering them (see picture below of some other finds from the same site). I used to use electrolysis on all of my coins, but stopped on most for several reasons.1.) Electrolysis is so effective that it even removed corrosion from the pits, leaving some corroded coins looking very cratered. The CLR is less effective and tends to leave the crud in the pits alone. 2.)Electrolysis tends to darken copper, which sometimes makes coins not display well. CLR will leave copper brighter, sometimes too much so, but that can always be reversed with some low heat. 3)CLR doesn't require me to pay attention as much as electrolysis...less fuss.
    I still zap most silver however and some more valuable coins that look like good candidates. However, haven't had either of those circumstances in a while.
    "A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes"--Hugh Downs