Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Does anyone else collect photos of the old timers?

I'm building a collection of 8x10 photos of some of the classic players, like Ruth, Cobb, DiMaggio, Mantle, etc. I'm not talking about old photos, just new copies of old pics. It makes an inexpensive way to collect items from these guys as most their card prices are unattainable on my budget.

Comments

• Options
    plifter - It's a great idea! There are thousands of vintage images of ballplayers going all the way back to the turn of the century available today. Photo print processes are such now that these 8" x 10" photo's are quite impressive. Not only that but at $6,8 or $10 a pop (sometimes less for lesser known players) you can build quite an eye appealing collection on a budget.
    RayB
    Never met a Vintage card I didn't like!
  • Options
    bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Ive been slowly accumulating old B&W photos of Yankees. To me they are a great, inexpensive way to showcase some baseball history.

Eventually I intend on putting together a sort of wall or walls of fame, featuring all sorts of old photos framed and matted. All b&w photos in black frames and matted in white have such a classy look IMO.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    There is a seller on ebay...sometimes he posts his sports stuff, sometimes not but he has AWESOME photos

ebay ID: ThePerfectPicture

I have purchased from him many times.
  • Options
    I've been slowly looking for wire photos of old players, I should really get back into it since I heard PSA was starting to slab them.
    Jery's T206 set: Looking for PSA 6's & 7's!
  • Options
    I picked up a wire photo a few years ago that features Mantle and Maris. My favorite piece is actually a signed, numbered litho of Joe Dimaggio that came from Joe's estate. Neat stuff. The newer copies do look great. I went to a show years ago and Al Kaline was signing pics so I got one.The cost wasn't much at all and I had the pic framed and still have it.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    Thought some of you might enjoy these.
    The first is from Feb. 28, 1927, the Babe asleep.
    The other is Shoeless Joe from 1919.