Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1901 Vickie of the evening

Finally filled this hole in the set- rather a tough coin to find. Paid way too much but at $26, which is almost exactly 3.5x Krause VF price, but what the heck. The seller originally had this VF-ish (at best) coin priced at $55, which is full Krause UNC price... and wanted $8 shipping on top of that! While I wanted the coin for Victoria's Victorian type set, I wasn't willing to pay that much for it. So I haggled the guy down to $20 plus $6 shipping, which is still way off Krause but since he worked with me that far and came down more than 50% from his original asking price I thought I'd oblige him.

eBay: 1901 Guyana 4 Pence Silver Coin

Oddly enough, this will be my first transaction with anyone in Mexico.

imageimage

The coin looks like it will do for now. Not a fantastic high-grade example, but sufficient. Maybe some digs or planchet flaws below the portrait. I hope that when I see it in hand it isn't polished to death.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations -- I hope it looks good in hand. image Let us know how it turns out.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I would call it a solid VF, but it may have been cleaned. Still, I can't say that I have seen one before so pretty good buy IMO.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Nice catch.

You can throw out Krause on some coins. This may be one of them. I was outbid on a Colombian and Venezuelan coin a few times until I realized some nice original coins can go for 3 times Krause.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    Rob, I mailed that holed 3 pence peice to you today. Let me know when you get it please. Thanks.
    Molon Labe
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cleaned methinks as well. I do agree that some coins have low values in Krause who is only trying to anticipate the driving factors in demand.

At first I was trying to figure out if Vickie of the night was a streetwalker - guess it was the queen after all....
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKC- thanks!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do think this piece was cleaned but I can live with that as long as it wasn't polished to a bright shine or overdipped until dull and lackluster. One really can't tell from the picture.