Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Taler question - mounted?

Incredible sede vacante taler, but the rim looks funny. Could this be a past mount mark removed and repaired?

link-a-roo

Comments

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    You would think if it had Stacks would have noted it , but for that price I'd have to get someone's assurance or guarantee.
    The rim at 12:00 does look kinda suspicous !!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jumpin' Jehosephat, that's sharp!

Dunno if it was repaired or not. If it was, it was a skillful job and wouldn't particularly bother me.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    These frequently have some weakness to the strike at 12 o'clock. Sometimes adjusment marks show in that same weakly struck area. Probably what's going on here too, but couldn't say for sure without seeing it in person (even with those huge images).
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking adjustment marks also. But it could have been mounted and then filed down.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Mounted or no, that is a pretty coin!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the thoughts - very helpful for me. I am still working on better understanding the nature of adjustment marks. Unfortunately I am not in the market to purchase.....but I do love the appearance of it.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Thanks for the thoughts - very helpful for me. I am still working on better understanding the nature of adjustment marks. Unfortunately I am not in the market to purchase.....but I do love the appearance of it. >>

I, also, am trying to understand adjustment marks better. I think best way to tell is with close-up examination. All of the adjustment lines should be parallel to each other, right? Also, it appears that planchets, as well as already struck coins can be adjusted. If a planchet was adjusted before striking, can the metal flow weaken on the other side of the adjustment, creating a weakly-struck area? Would that be one of the signs? Also, if it was planchet adjustment before striking - would adjustment marks "bleed-through" the lettering/devices? Or would that be a sign of post-minting damage?

This is an interesting subject that I would like to learn more about.

~Roman
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Adjustment marks are generally on the face of the coin and done with a file, that one looks like a high speed grinder was used and turned the metal blue in the area of concern. note the semi-circular grind pattern. And NO that cannot be "Fixed"

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting adjustment comments. I feel like adjustment marks make an interesting yet mysterious topic. I will start a new thread to see if people can share some pics and additional thoughts.
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Tooled or not, it still is one impressively attractive coin. I'd own it... image