Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The British pound...

traded over $1.95 today. Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning? How high is too high?image

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Comments

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>traded over $1.95 today. Is it the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning? image >>

Do you mean for the US? We do seem to be digging ourselves into quite a deep fiscal hole...
  • Options
    CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    I've read the US$ is teetering on the brink of a major selloff. Analyst thinks if the index goes below 80, all bets are off. Just one guy's opinion though. Considering I've got bids in at a British auction right now, I'm loathe to be the high bidder as I was using $1.90 as my basis. A nickel doesn't sound like much until you multiply it times thousands and then add on an exchange fee (and of course who's to say it's going to stop at $1.95?). image
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the scariest part is the pound sterling is crazy overvalued itself! Try buying anything in England (let's not go there with London itself).I think the dollar is bound for trouble as well.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a couple of thoughts that may be alittle OT, BUT I PROMISE TO GET BACK ON COURSE BEFORE THIS ENDS.

If the pound is overvalued, should the UK join the ECU at a favorable time? It could make sense to revisit the issue...

As for the US Dollar, a hike in interest rates maybe required to provide support. Allowing the Dollar to get wacked is really not the most responsible way of dealing with the trade deficit... okay... I'm done.

Back to coins... I am curious if there will be an effort on the part of major world dealers overseas to use the strength of the Euro, Pound, etc... to buy rarities in the US... It seems to make sense if the bull market in world coins has legs... any thoughts?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>And the scariest part is the pound sterling is crazy overvalued itself! Try buying anything in England (let's not go there with London itself).I think the dollar is bound for trouble as well. >>

its pretty expensive to live in London, I take it?
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>And the scariest part is the pound sterling is crazy overvalued itself! Try buying anything in England (let's not go there with London itself).I think the dollar is bound for trouble as well. >>

its pretty expensive to live in London, I take it? >>

Amazingly expensive. The worst I've seen anywhere in the world.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its pretty expensive to live in London, I take it?

A cup of Starbucks coffee will cost you almost twice as much in London as in New York.

As for coins, a weak dollar will ultimately lead to a decline in the dollar value of most world coins. I know that sounds twisted, but the loss of the American buyers will reverse the direction of most world coin markets, and that will send local collectors scurrying for cover.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>its pretty expensive to live in London, I take it?

A cup of Starbucks coffee will cost you almost twice as much in London as in New York.

As for coins, a weak dollar will ultimately lead to a decline in the dollar value of most world coins. I know that sounds twisted, but the loss of the American buyers will reverse the direction of most world coin markets, and that will send local collectors scurrying for cover. >>

The USD has been selling off forever already....image

Andy, you forgot the single scoop, I should say a very small single scoop of Haagen Das just a stones throw from the Tower will run you 3 pounds.
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So so hotels at 200 pounds, transportation off the hook. I forget the rail prices at the moment but remember a small fortune going to Cambridge last year. I recall one dealer telling me that it cost 360 pounds roundtrip to go from Manchester to London.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    I don't think much has changed here in the UK. The old axiom still stands, If it cost a $1 in the States it cost £1 in the UK.image
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't think much has changed here in the UK. The old axiom still stands, If it cost a $1 in the States it cost £1 in the UK.image >>

Ah yes, the old price adjusted rates. Well, the York Hilton was only £130 a few years ago. About the going rate in Chicago or San Francisco, etc., except they don't have an olde walled city, or ostrich burgers in the market, and Vikings marching about. And nothing comes close to the Minster.....worth a few extra quid, I'd say.imageimage
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dollar is approaching the lows of the early '90's.

I'm expecting new lows in the near future but no major selloff. A trading range in the high to mid 80's seems likely for the next few years before easing a little further.
    Tempus fugit.