Home Metal Detecting
Options

This here is a long shot, but...(Chicago)

Hi all,

I usually frequent the sports boards, but I noticed the metal detecting boards and figured I had to try this. My problem: A couple months ago I lost my wedding ring (plain gold men's ring, inscription inside) in the vicinity of Chicago's Grant Park. I'm in big, bad trouble with my wife, and needless to say I'd like it back. Anyhoo, if anyone does happen to run across such an item from that general area, please message me or respond here and we'll talk confirmation/reward.

As I said, I know it's a long shot, but if anybody finds it, it's going to be one of you guys/gals.

Thanks for reading.
CARD IS TIGHT

Comments

• Options
    rent a detector for the day and retrace your steps. you will have a better chance at it than anyone
    "If I had a nickel for every nickel I ever had, I'd have all my nickels back".
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can narrow it down to as small an area as possible, rent a machine like the previous respondent suggested, or take somebody who has a machine out there with you. Good luck.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a friend that knows what they are doing it will save you a lot of time. And like what was previously said go with them and help narrow it down. It probably won't be where you think it was.
  • Options
    Ah! Great suggestions, but my bad for not mentioning I was only in Chicago for a few days, I'm not from there - otherwise I'd be out there in the park every night looking for it!

So basically I'm in Hail Mary mode here. Does anyone know of a local club I might contact? Maybe that's the way to go.
    CARD IS TIGHT
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So basically I'm in Hail Mary mode here. >>

Sounds like it.

<< <i>Does anyone know of a local club I might contact? Maybe that's the way to go. >>

'Fraid not, but I agree- that sounds like the way to go. Do some websearching and see if you can contact some locals. Obviously you should offer a reward of some kind.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you metal detect in Chicago PM dranoz.
  • Options
    Grant Park covers a large area, acres...and it is under about 12 inches of snow as of today...that is going to be a tough find unless you can retrace your steps!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    There is the Chicago Coin Club, but I don't anyone there who metal detects.

I do know a couple other people in the Chicago area that metal detect, and I'll see if they will go out and search for you.

Not promising anything, but I will try my best to help you out.

P.S. You may have to wait till the snow clears...in a month.
  • Options

<< <i>Grant Park covers a large area, acres...and it is under about 12 inches of snow as of today...that is going to be a tough find unless you can retrace your steps! >>

Oh I agree - I'm not asking for anybody to search for it specifically, though, this is more of an "If something like that turns up, let me know" type of deal.
    CARD IS TIGHT
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey dranoz, keep me in mind. I'm in Chicago and have a metal detector, so I'd be happy to help - but right now no one's going to get to your ring, seeing as we have about 4-5 inches of snowy ice around here now. When the weather cooperates I'll be happy to try; feel free to PM me if you wish. zef is a Chicago card guy who knows me - as for a reward, well, it's probably a long shot and not a little luck if we can get it back, so finding and returning it would be reward enough.

-- Jon
  • Options
    Ironic. I am coming over from the currency side with the same question. i am outside of Chicago and my husband lost his wedding in the yard rescuing the dog from a small drift. I borrowed a metal detector from a girlfriend. Do I wait for the snow to melt?

BTW- My husband's ring is engraved too with "Put it back on!"
    Laura A. Kessler
    Vice President
    PCGS Currency
    lkessler@pcgscurrency.com
    www.PCGSCurrency.com
  • Options
    If you know the location...I would plant a marker or flag and wait for the snow to go away.
    I can't see moving the snow. Might just move the ring.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Would the detector pick it up more easily in the snow rather than wait for the snow to melt and possibly sinking the ring into a muddy mess in the round?
    Laura A. Kessler
    Vice President
    PCGS Currency
    lkessler@pcgscurrency.com
    www.PCGSCurrency.com
  • Options
    It might be easier to spot in the snow, but the detector should have no problem finding it even in several inches of mud/dirt....just make sure to run it with no discrimination, so you pick up all signals.
  • Options
    The detector will work in the snow. :-)

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my, a strange park, a strange city, oh so strange circumstances to lose a wedding ring? My imagination is running wild! I'd be at the Jewelers today for a replacement!! Good LUCK!
    bob
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

<< <i>Oh my, a strange park, a strange city, oh so strange circumstances to lose a wedding ring? My imagination is running wild! I'd be at the Jewelers today for a replacement!! Good LUCK!
    bob >>

Ok, I'll explain. I went to Lollapalooza - my ring has (had) always been just a bit loose but for some reason I decided to wear it instead of leaving it in the roomsafe...anyhow, they had these porta-sinks set up outside of the porta-potties, which was a nice touch - with a big BUT. And that BUT is that they ran out of paper towels so it was necessary to vigorously shake one's hands to dry them off a bit. My best guess is that the ring flew off under those circumstances, but I didn't notice it until later - having 4 or 5 beers probably didn't help my alertness too much. Anyhow, visual searches turned up nothing, and nobody turned it in. I would ask or hire someone to go out there if I had an idea of the specific area of the park, and you guys have been great, but honestly I was all over that place and it could be anywhere - so this is truly a, "Hey, if something turns up like that or you hear of it, let me know" type of deal.

Thanks again for reading.
    CARD IS TIGHT
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you lost it during a Lollapalooza concert I'm afraid that the odds of ever recovering it are extremely slim. I'd say there is a 99% chance that someone saw it and pocketed the thing. image
  • Options

<< <i>If you lost it during a Lollapalooza concert I'm afraid that the odds of ever recovering it are extremely slim. I'd say there is a 99% chance that someone saw it and pocketed the thing. image >>

Well, I lost it after dark in a heavy foot traffic area, so maybe somebody stepped on it and embedded it in the ground - that's what I was hoping, anyway.
    CARD IS TIGHT
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>If you lost it during a Lollapalooza concert I'm afraid that the odds of ever recovering it are extremely slim. I'd say there is a 99% chance that someone saw it and pocketed the thing. image >>

Well, I lost it after dark in a heavy foot traffic area, so maybe somebody stepped on it and embedded it in the ground - that's what I was hoping, anyway. >>

Hm, definitely possible.