Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My new camera ...

Broke down and bought a digital SLR. Took a few shots last night and realized that it's time to upgrade my "away from home" set-up to include a copy stand and more than just one light source of 50W. But even under those conditions and with a stock lens, here's what I was able to do after a couple of tries:

Here's one of my favorite coins (thanks again, Brett!) - 1797 Mexican 8 Reales in VF:

And the shield of Spain on the reverse:

Can't wait to see what this beast can do with a quality macro/zoom lense, a copy stand and proper lighting image

~Roman

Comments

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Those are some great images. What kind of DSLR camera and lens did you get?
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a Canon Rebel XT (the older 8 megapixel version), with the stock 30-75mm lens.
  • Options
    I find that my copy stand gives far too much light and is very difficult to aviod shaddows. I'm thinking of trying a light ring. Have you thought of this.
    Gary
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Roman - it looks like you have a great running start on the new camera. I look forward to seeing the images once you perfect the setup.
  • Options
    Thanks, Worldcoinguy! Gazza, I haven't thought of the macro light ring, at least not as a sole source of light. I would like to have the ability to adjust the lighting as desired. I'm also afraid that a straight light like that would give that flat, "washed-out" look (i might be wrong, since I have never used one before).

Anyone use a light ring? If it's the same as using multiple lights - It would actually be great in the small room I am renting while in Toronto, so I would love to hear some opinions.

~Roman
  • Options
    You know, just out of curiousity, I will pick one up this weekend and try it out. I'll post some comparison pictures.

~Roman
  • Options
    Great articles, WWW! I've been experimenting with ISO settings after reading the first one. Here's the comparison -

And I was very happy to be able to finally take a picture of this tiny Russian copper that shows the red:

~Roman

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Great results! I'll be watching as you progress as a coin photographer.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Thank you, Michael. This is an exciting addition to numismatics for me. I just wish I had more space to set-up. I have already started looking for an appartment, so that I can move-in in the beginning of January.
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with your search!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Nice coins and photos, the look great! image
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you're getting the hang of that DSLR already image
    Photographing coins provides me with close to half of the enjoyment of the hobby image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Great photos. I believe that cosmic has one of those cameras with a macro lens. You could get some good tips from him, as his photos are very professional.image
  • Options

<< <i>It's a Canon Rebel XT (the older 8 megapixel version), with the stock 30-75mm lens. >>

Correction - The stock lens is EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 image

Thanks for the support guys! Although a downside of seeing some of the coins up-close is that I am starting to notice some dirt in the devices/lettering, and even some *GASP* green! I'll be busting out acetone this weekend. I have never gone into the lettering with q-tips, since they are a bit too thick, so not sure whether I should use toothpicks to reach there, or what?
  • Options

<< <i>Great photos. I believe that cosmic has one of those cameras with a macro lens. You could get some good tips from him, as his photos are very professional.image >>

I agree - I enjoyed looking at his website before. I'll drop him a PM asking for some tips!
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    TwoK, try using a green thorn from a rose bush if a toothpick is too large for the space you're trying to clean out.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Excellent pictures. I have the older version of the rebel and I really like it. I haven't tried a copy stand yet, but a friend just gave me one that needs a little work so I will try it eventually.

Dr J
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Hmmm....., I've been using a little $18 tripod that positions the camera 12 to 5 inches above the coin which has been satisfactory for a couple of years.
    It has worked well with my Olympus C3000 Zoom (from Cosmic), but I over tightened the camera onto the tripod recently, and probably broke several of the "screw curves" in the plastic camera body base and as a result, the camera is now unstable unless I slightly tension it until stable (not very); I don't want to know what a camera body costs... image

I have avoided any kind of a copy stand because of shadow potential although now I might have to seriously look at one.

I have seen some forum members who literally strap their cameras to their stands with duct tape. Could we see pictures? How has it worked-is it unwieldy?

By the way, that 1797 looks awesome-better than mine...

Ed for spelling image
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    Thank you, DrJ, for forwarding me that tutorial by Cosmic. I've spent an hour or so playing around with different ISO, aperature and exposure. I finally settled down on ISO 100, Aperature 8.0 as suggested by Cosmic, taking images a little over-exposed (25-40).

I think it's an improvement...

My initial 1797 8Reales:

After tonight:

I'll go practice on copper now.

~Roman
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image >>

Properly shrunken, this has avatar potential.

Funny, I never paid much attention to that little doodad at the bottom of the shield. Looks sorta like an anchor, but that can't be right.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    I think it's supposed to be a pomegranate. Good idea on the icons - I can make a couple of spanish colonial ones tomorrow evening.