Home Sports Talk

Manny out of Boston by this weekend?

AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
Text

I've heard the Giants to be among the front runners, though a number of other teams have been mentioned.

Comments

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fine by me. They won't find ANYBODY to replace his kind of presence in the lineup. Plus, David Ortiz will be walked a ton more without Manny there. Put the fat guy on 1st. WHO CARES !!!! image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IF the Sox sign JD Drew and get the rumored "prospects" for Manny, the Sox will have to sign Barry Bonds if they want anyone to pitch to Ortiz.
  • ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not like the looks of this at all. Unless they get Vlad from the Angels (which they will not, unless Epstein suckers them), getting rid of Manny will do more harm than good.

<< <i>I do not like the looks of this at all. Unless they get Vlad from the Angels (which they will not, unless Epstein suckers them), getting rid of Manny will do more harm than good. >>

No way the Angels give up Vlad! More likely is trade talks between Baltimore and Boston on Tejada again, assuming Baltimore can sign Lugo.

<< <i>

<< <i>I do not like the looks of this at all. Unless they get Vlad from the Angels (which they will not, unless Epstein suckers them), getting rid of Manny will do more harm than good. >>

No way the Angels give up Vlad! More likely is trade talks between Baltimore and Boston on Tejada again, assuming Baltimore can sign Lugo. >>

The Baltimore trade may happen -- they CAN be suckered!! image

<< <i>

<< <i>

No way the Angels give up Vlad! More likely is trade talks between Baltimore and Boston on Tejada again, assuming Baltimore can sign Lugo. >>

The Baltimore trade may happen -- they CAN be suckered!! image >>

So Manny to the O's, Tejada to Boston and the Sox sign Barry Bonds to play left field and JD Drew to play right. That would give Ortiz some backup. image
  • ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What a terrible concept - I don't care who the Sox could get back, nobody can protect Ortiz like Manny. And, Manny is indeed a Yankee killer. I hadn't heard about Vlad Guerrero (I'm sure that would never happen) but that's the only type of name I want to hear in a potential trade. Otherwise, it's a bad idea. I hope nothing comes of this.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off DONT get rid of Manny and stay away from JD Drew....PLEASE!!! Drew is ussually injured and according to Larussa does not play 100 % all the time, We got MAJOR trouble if we get rid of a constant 40 HR 110-120 RBI guy!!!!
    Perk, I think Drew is a done deal. But - he can play RF or even CF (if you trade Crisp), and Manny can stay in left. I am not crazy about this guy either, but you have to admit if the Sox can keep all three together (Ortiz, Manny, Drew) that it makes quite a potent lineup.

<< <i>Perk, I think Drew is a done deal. But - he can play RF or even CF (if you trade Crisp), and Manny can stay in left. I am not crazy about this guy either, but you have to admit if the Sox can keep all three together (Ortiz, Manny, Drew) that it makes quite a potent lineup. >>

Yea I really dont care about adding him to our lineup (Take away Trot? I quess) As long as we KEEP MANNY!!!!! I just dont plan on him being productive for a whole season, I think he is overated and average at best.
    Another thing to Add, I just hope Theo is not thinking of REPLACING Manny with Drew...thats my point and Im sure you agree.
  • I think Manny is one of the best hiiters in baseball, if Epstein trades him, it wil lbe another FOOLISh move by the OVERPAID youngster. He has to be a MORON to trade Manny, unless it was waaaay too good to be true image

edited: latest news MAnny in 3 way trade for

Lowe, henley ramirez and Milar image
  • softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the Sox are feeling the need to trim the payroll after throwing a possible 100 million at Matsuzaka? I doubt it though as they have thought of moving Manny for some time now.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    Ive always been a big fan of Manny, from the first time I saw him in Yankee stadium as a rookie for the Indians.

For all his shortcomings in the field he is one of the all time great hitters IMO.

With all the talk surrounding McGwire, the HOF, and todays generation of questionable players due to performance enhancing drugs I think in years to come Manny will be looked at as a guy who would have been dominant in any era.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

trading Manny for salary room or just prospects would be a mistake, IMO. Without someone to hit behind Ortiz, the Red Sox will need to rely on their pitching...and we know that only worked for almost eight games back in 2004
    Well, now I am concerned. Curt Schilling said yesterday that Manny does indeed want a trade (again) and that even if he stays, he "might not be here". I know, nothing new here, but with all this speculation, and a few teams actually offering decent players back - I hope Theo doesn't do anything stupid.

<< <i>Well, now I am concerned. Curt Schilling said yesterday that Manny does indeed want a trade (again) and that even if he stays, he "might not be here". I know, nothing new here, but with all this speculation, and a few teams actually offering decent players back - I hope Theo doesn't do anything stupid. >>

Good reason has never stopped Theo from doing stupid things before.

I miss Bronson Arroyo. My wife and I enjoyed watching him play and learning about him as a person.
    I liked him also - I really felt like the Sox treated him unfairly after he resigned before last season, and then they traded him. Of course, if Pena becomes the player we all hope, everyone will forget about Bronson quickly enough. He did seem like a good guy off the field also, by all accounts.
  • gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a Red Sox fan so I don't know, but how do you guys feel about losing Hanley Ramirez in the Beckett deal?

<< <i>I'm not a Red Sox fan so I don't know, but how do you guys feel about losing Hanley Ramirez in the Beckett deal? >>

• rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

If Barry Bonds still has his wheels left for one or two seasons, and can play the outfield in Fenway. Even as a Yankee fan, I would enjoy watching any opposing team trying to pitch around Ortiz to get to Bonds.

That would be just pure fun to watch! What a way for Bonds to finish out his career. Fewer walks, and some historic monster blasts.

rd

Breaking the HR record in Fenway! Wow! Baseball history! image

<< <i>I'm not a Red Sox fan so I don't know, but how do you guys feel about losing Hanley Ramirez in the Beckett deal? >>

Awful. But, I'd still do the deal, because Beckett is young enough to be a strong part of the top of the Sox rotation for years. Ramirez would sure fit nicely in at SS this upcoming season, though - as he was supposed to.
    Don't talk to me about bringing Bonds to Fenway. I want no part of him, or his circus. I'm sure there would be a ton of adverse reaction to such a proposal from Boston fans - I don't think there's anyway it could happen.

<< <i>

image >>

I fell worse about losing Anibel Sanchez in addition to Hanley Ramirez.

Trading Josh Bard and Cley Meredith to SD to get back a .190 hitter to catch knuckleballs was a stinker trade as well. You would think they could have prepped Bard better to catch knucklers in spring training.

<< <i>Don't talk to me about bringing Bonds to Fenway. I want no part of him, or his circus. I'm sure there would be a ton of adverse reaction to such a proposal from Boston fans - I don't think there's anyway it could happen. >>

Agreed. What contending team is going to want Bonds -- their fans will hate him, and if they win anything, it will be tainted by Mr. Potatohead. Only thing I could see is maybe a freak HR record chase on a crappy team such as Tampa or Baltimore.
    I believe that Bonds does not like Boston and can't envision himself playing there.