Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Which Tomlinson card for the all-time rushers's set?

Since, barring injury, he seems certain to hit the 10,000-yard mark next season (automatic inclusion in the all-time rusher's set), I thought I'd take an informal poll and see what LT2 card should be used in the set. I believe any autograph and/or jersey cards are excluded, and the production number should be in the vicinity of 1,000 or more. Personally, I don't have a clue on this. The modern market is one I'm pretty unfamiliar with. Tomlinson's Finest rookie is a nice looking card, but where it ranks against his other ones, again, no clue.
"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."

Comments

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I think we should use the same criteria as that used for the HOF set, because it's silly to have 2 different RCs for key card sets and we lack better criteria. From memory, I believe that would be the highest SMR PSA 8 RC that is not a jersey, autograph, or serial numbered. I don't know the issues of 2001 well enough to know which card that would be.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    JasP24JasP24 Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭
    Joe is right, we should use the same card for multiple sets, because the criteria for the Key Card sets is the same as the HOF RC set...

No autos, no jersey, no game used, no inserts, no parallels. These are easy because PSA has defined these as NOT rookie cards. The un-ansered question that affects most cards 2001-present is the serial numbered cards.

PSA IS GOING TO ALLOW serial numbered cards into these sets. 1998 SP Authentic Peyton Manning is a prime example. What we don't know, is where will the line be drawn? Numbered to 50?100?1,000? I always thought 1,000 was a fair number, but when I have asked PSA in the past, they weren't ready to "lock in" a specific number..Because if 1,000 is the minimum, that means we will disqualify some cards from 2002-2003 that are numbered to 999...

Its going to take some research to figure out which cards are even eligible. I started doing that about a year ago, but gave up once I knew PSA wasn't going to lock in a "no less than" number. Because there are a TON of regular base issue cards from 2001-present that are serial numbered. Those are also typically the most valuable because of the scarcity as well...

My belief, based on conversations with BJ and Cosetta is that PSA will likely send out a vote to all collector's of say the All-Time Rushers set of which Tomlinson card they will want to have added. Their list will contain only those cards that meet the criteria of what they will allow. Whichever card gets the most votes from the collectors of that set is the card that will be added. So buyer beware until then...

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    Many of the considered mainstream football RCs are from the Playoff Contenders and UD SPX series. Some are actually short-printed base cards that can be autographed, contain jersey swatches or both.
  • Options

<< <i>Many of the considered mainstream football RCs are from the Playoff Contenders and UD SPX series. Some are actually short-printed base cards that can be autographed, contain jersey swatches or both. >>

Problem is, those cards won't qualify. Here's the stated PSA standard for the HOF and Key card sets:

""HOF and Key Card Sets:
    Additions to the HOF and Key Card sets are possible. Every year new HOF inductions are made. In addition, some players may have performed well enough in recent years to warrant addition to All-Time sets. In some cases only one card will qualify for addition to the set. In some cases, several cards may qualify and members participating in the set will be polled for their opinion. The majority vote will determine which card is added. If less than 50% of the members polled respond, then experts at PSA will select the card for addition. If a rookie card is to be added, the card selected must be considered one of the most popular and no autographed, jersey or insert cards will qualify.""

Jason
    I'm here to question, not to inspire or build up. To live how I want, as I see fit,
    according to my values and my needs. Nothing holds dominion over me, I stand alone as the ruler of my life.
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭
    Why not use the Topps Chrome? It's already in the All Time Chargers set. It's a $175 card raw (and going to cost you close to that). The 01 Topps Chrome rc's are #/999 however. It is irritating to need two different cards of the same player for various sets. If memory serves, Curtis Martin and Charles Woodson already have this issue.

Just my .02

-Josh

Edited to add: On a side note, the Heisman set, for whatever reason, uses autographed cards (Playoff Contenders) of several more recent Heisman winners. Ron Dayne, Ricky Williams, Eric Crouch and Chris Weinke. Yet for some reason, the Topps base issue was used for Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart. <shrug>. I guess I missed that discussion/email.
  • Options
    being a lifelong charger fan and a collector of LT stuff, i actually consider his 01 sp authentic card his "rookie". it usually gets the most attention and bids for cards serially numbered higher than 100. problem is (or not) is that it has a jersey on it. i think its also the one that has the highest book value amongst his rookie cards? but there are just so many, its tough to argue with anyone's opinion. to each his own i guess!
  • Options
    envoy98envoy98 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭

<< <i>being a lifelong charger fan and a collector of LT stuff, i actually consider his 01 sp authentic card his "rookie". it usually gets the most attention and bids for cards serially numbered higher than 100. problem is (or not) is that it has a jersey on it. i think its also the one that has the highest book value amongst his rookie cards? but there are just so many, its tough to argue with anyone's opinion. to each his own i guess! >>

I don't believe PSA is holdering this card yet. BGS just started with the thicker holders. There was some discussion on the boards about PSA holdering these thicker cards (most SPA) using the new pack grading holders but I have not seen/heard anything else about it. I think the main reason the SP Authentic Manning and Brady made the cut were because they were numbered out of /1998 and /2000. I was a little surprised the Topps Chrome LT was picked for the Chargers set, I figured it would be his Leaf R&S or maybe his Bowman Chrome (I forget if those were serial # or not). The problem with the contenders cards isn't so much that they are autographed but more that the print run is so short; most are <600 copies.
  • Options

<< <i>

Edited to add: On a side note, the Heisman set, for whatever reason, uses autographed cards (Playoff Contenders) of several more recent Heisman winners. Ron Dayne, Ricky Williams, Eric Crouch and Chris Weinke. Yet for some reason, the Topps base issue was used for Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart. <shrug>. I guess I missed that discussion/email. >>

Totally agree, which is why I never collected that set. It's been on the Registry for awhile, and I'm not sure who the requestor was or if there was EVER a discussion as to which cards should/would be added.

My guess, is that is was formulated prior to PSA actually HAVING a standard for the HOF RC and/or Key card sets. When I first signed up, the only HOF set was the Player/Coach/Admin set which allowed ANY card of said player to be added. In the Key Card sets, I believe the QB, RB, WR, and Heisman sets were already there when I discovered the Registry. So maybe the Heisman set was grandfathered??lol

PSA didn't really HAVE a standard until we had the big discussion about the creation of the NFL HOF RC set right here on the message board. I was one of, if not the, most vocal advocate of having a standard for which cards we can use in the future. The biggest missing standard right now is on the serial numbered cards, and where to draw the line. As Josh stated, if you draw the line at 1,000, you've disqualified the Topps Chrome Tomlinson that is number to #999...

Maybe PSA should send out a poll and ask what everyone collecting the HOF RC and key card sets think is fair. To this point, PSA has not given a definitive answer on this, my guess is when the first card (possible the Tomlinson) is requested to be added, that card will set the standard.

IMO, #999 is probably as low as you want to go. If you are going to use a card with a production run of 50, well you're never going to have more than 50 people ever complete that set or get that card graded by PSA...

Jason

• Options
    FavreFan1971FavreFan1971 Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

IMO, #999 is probably as low as you want to go. If you are going to use a card with a production run of 50, well you're never going to have more than 50 people ever complete that set or get that card graded by PSA...

Jason >>

I agree that 999 should be it.