Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Does this look like PVC in an NGC slab?

I had my eyes dilated today, and when I got home I was looking at a new coin sitting in a nice NGC slab I had bought online. I noticed a small flash of green I hadn't seen before, and I don't want to admit it's PVC. My pictures suck, to get close enough to get the green I don't have the skills to get close enough with adequate lighting. The color in the coin is most like the first two...I used the autocorrect on the photo software I've goe (el cheapo Print Shop).

So what to do? I like the coin--it's not one I'd seen for sale before. Should it go to NCS and back to NGC? And is this covered under any guarantees? Is it not PVC? If it is, does it look salvagable?

Thanks as usual for any input!

Cathy

Comments

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    Being color blind, my opinion may not be the last word here. However, I would not expect PVC to be confined to such a small area of the coin (if as I assume you are talking about the dark areas in those photos).
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree. PVC should not be so localized - it almost looks like something adherent to it. There are several spots that could still be some form of chloride however. Worry factor: looks fairly stable. Maybe could take it to NCS at show however for an opinion.
    Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's certainly got that sort of green, enough to worry me. But maybe it's something else.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I don't think that's PVC. However, you could always liberate it from its tomb and give it an acetone bath just for your own peace of mind.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    That should not be PVC and might be the toning, but if it turns out to be PVC then can send the coin back to NGC and they should take care of it.
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    If it is PVC, acetone would remove it, but then you'd have to crack it out and NGC wouldn't do anything about it.
    Having said that, I don't think it looks like PVC. My concern is that it looks like verdigris which has probably damaged the metal underneath it. Jeez, I sure hope I'm wrong.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I would send it to NCS and have them evalutate it. If you don't have an account let me know and I'll send it in for you.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    It's not a pleasant color to see... thankfully it only involves a small part of one letter. I imagine if there is damage it will be minimal.

Could we see the coin as whole?
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried some pictures outside today, not much better but here they are from varying angles:

All of the above are unedited except for cropping.

The next one I hit the 'exposure autocorrect' with my cheapy photoediting program:

It's the area right near 6 oclock that has the most noticable bit of tinge to it.

MadMarty, I think I will take you up on the offer...as long as NCS would leave it alone if there isn't anything harmful going on. I'd rather it stay as it is as much as possible otherwise. PM on it's way image.

Thanks for all your input everyone, This was a tremendously impulsive buy on my part for what I find to be a really cool coin. I know I could easily return it to the seller, but I don't want to. I'd rather keep it, and if it needs "conserving" (by that I mean only get rid of/stop harmful contaminants if any) and get it done without ruining it.

Cathy

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to side with Auld and call that verdigris from copper in the alloy. NCS is the way to go if you don't want to crack it out.
  • Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Looks like PVC to me image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am going to side with Auld and call that verdigris from copper in the alloy. >>

That's exactly what I was thinking too. The coin shows other spots which appear indicative of an improperly mixed alloy, and these spots are much more prone to corrosion.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22