Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Collecting Pursuits and Goals (Intentions and Results)

I'm curious as to what collecting goals and pursuits you guys have as darkside enthusiasts. I'm at a spot right now in coin collecting similar to when I just started out, 7 years ago. Back then I would just collect what appealed to me, regardless of what it cost, what it was worth, or what I could resell it for. It felt so good. After a year or so I was pressured into collecting only a specific series or focusing on a common goal in my collecting. I did not enjoy the limits and the unobtainable and imperfect goals.

Now, I'm back, but collecting mostly darkside material of just sheer appeal. This is where I'm more happy. I'm wondering, how do you guys collect your darkside material? Are you like me? Are you just collecting what you enjoy? Do you follow a set pattern for time periods, countries, or specific themes? Feel free to tell the tales of how you started, where you are now, or just what you prefer to collect. I don't know many of you here, other than Rob, and would really like to get to know you, along with the darksiders you collect.

I think this would be a really good thread to get people to start thinking about whether or not they truely enjoy their collecting or go with the systematic approach of following goals. Now, I'm not say goals are bad or anything, in fact in life they can be very important, but in collecting, I just can't live with it.
Scott Hopkins
-YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few years ago I started to collect Canadian coins to fill Whitman Albums Lg Cents to Dollars, 1858-1967. Earlier in the year I obtained my goal. Now I collect two things, my main emphasis is on Maundy Sets, and then I collect anything that strikes my fancy.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    My collecting habits are usually very specific, although I will on occasion pick up a coin or two that just seem cool at the time.

By sticking with clearly defined sets I generally end up with everything except the really hard-to-find coins. Only on rare occasions do I find the tough coins before I get to the very end.

Where does that leave me?

Needing:

George V coins:
    1935 NZ Waitangi crown (business strike)
    Great Britain crown (business strike)
    1920H? East Africa 50 cents
    few other odds and ends

Canada dollars:
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    My serious (read more expensive) collecting interest lies with Canadian, Newfoundland, and Maritime Victorian copper. I also collect WWII coinage of occupied countries, defunct countries, and governments-in-exile.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭
    A big part of it for me has been setting a goal that was quite difficult to accomplish and then accomplishing most of it. Obviously it starts with the coins. You've gotta love what you collect. But then you sets goals like "I'm going to built a complete set of Polish uncirculated coins from the 1920s and 30s." That goal is very difficult and takes years -- and more luck than money. But it's enough of a challenge and is just possible enough to be worthwhile. Kind of like training for a marathon which I did in 2004. It was damn hard, and pretty close to impossible, but it wasn't impossible.

Part of it is the goal -- doing something that's hard -- but it all comes back to the coins. At the end of the day, a lot of things are hard but no one cares about them. You can try to build a collection of banana stickers from 1950 to the present. That's hard, but who cares? (Not me -- no offense to anyone who does. I'm sure bananasticker-mismatists have a lot of fun in their hobby.)

But I don't want to pretend like the challenge of collecting isn't also appealing. If you're just interested in how a coin looks, why collect a whole series? What drives you to get every type and variety of what is essentially the same coin? A 1934 Polish five groszy costs about 100 times more than the same coin from 1939. The only real difference is that one has a "4" and the other has a "9" at the end of the date. If you just like the design, get the '39 and move on to something else.

That's a totally legitimate collecting approach. And in fact I'm moving in that direction, getting more interested in some of the type coins of Eastern Europe from the same time period.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried to go the route of a random collection with both Light and Darkside but it never worked out. I guess my brain just needs some focus or it makes me feel discombobulated.

When I found my true calling on the Lightside and dedicated fully to it I became immeasurably happier as a collector.

After some heavy searching I've just recently come upon a subject of the Darkside to focus on, English Queen Victoria Gold. I get that same warm and fuzzy feeling about this collection as I do my Lightside stuff.
  • Options
    secondrepublicsecondrepublic Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've tried to go the route of a random collection with both Light and Darkside but it never worked out. I guess my brain just needs some focus or it makes me feel discombobulated.
    When I found my true calling on the Lightside and dedicated fully to it I became immeasurably happier as a collector. >>

I couldn't agree more, but there is one drawback. That is, once you're "done," you don't get the same thrill from the coins. The thrill of the hunt is bigger in some ways than the ownership. Scouring auction catalogs, sniping on Ebay, discerning grades from bad pics, taking some risks.... that's a big part of the fun. Once you're basically done, it's a bit of a letdown. I still feel a sense of satisfaction with the coins themselves, but I'm less excited then I used to be. Which is why I've begun looking at new areas of collecting interest.
    "Men who had never shown any ability to make or increase fortunes for themselves abounded in brilliant plans for creating and increasing wealth for the country at large." Fiat Money Inflation in France, Andrew Dickson White (1912)
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I really just collect what catches my fancy. I have a penchant for 19th century British copper (especially fractional farthings), Germany and States proofs, Canadian material, Swiss cantons, and nice toners in general, but I really just collect randomly. image

Every time I've told myself I was going to narrow my focus it never lasts...
  • Options

<< <i>I also collect WWII coinage of occupied countries, defunct countries, and governments-in-exile. >>

Have you seen a significant increase in values for coins of Japanese occupied China during the last couple of years, or is it my imagination?
    Roy

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Coinpicture's sentiment sounds very familiar. Variety is the main driver for me the past couple of years. I buy things that catch my eye, and unfortunately that usually means I wipe out my budget in the process. I find myself selling quite often to fund my whims.
  • Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am a sheer appeal guy too!imageimage
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've tried to go the route of a random collection with both Light and Darkside but it never worked out. I guess my brain just needs some focus or it makes me feel discombobulated. >>

image Been there, done that, and it didn't work for me either.

I have finally (I think) obtained a few focus areas that just get me all excited whenever I'm looking at, reading and learning about, or searching for coins that fit into those areas. My Darkside collections are now going to be a British Victorian Type Set, Victorian medals of bronze and silver (none of that off-metal stuff or military looking stuff), and for fun and impulse purchases (I still need to do that sometimesimage ) British Conder Tokens with architectural designs, or other designs I like (Lady Godiva on the Coventry issues come to mind).

I have regained focus on some Liteside material as well. I have found that early U.S. copper (half cents and large cents) really gets the ol' juices flowing, so I'm starting (again!) a date set of Half Cents, and for now a date set of Middle Date (1816 - 1839) Large Cents. I will expand that one to become a variety set (Yeah, I should live so long! image ) at some point in time. For Liteside impulse buys, I'm also starting (again!!) a U.S. Type Set.

I hope I can stick with these ones image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    The thrill of the hunt is bigger in some ways than the ownership.

No doubt about it.

But the real trouble comes when you wake up one day and decide that ownership is pretty apalling and goes against your moral beliefs. A pretty weird situation for a collector to be in, and to which I haven't found the answer yet.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭

<< <i> The thrill of the hunt is bigger in some ways than the ownership.

No doubt about it.

But the real trouble comes when you wake up one day and decide that ownership is pretty apalling and goes against your moral beliefs. A pretty weird situation for a collector to be in, and to which I haven't found the answer yet. >>

Please allow me to be the first to altruistically put my name in the hat for your most generous impending giveaway!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Yes, I was expecting this sort of reply, the minute that I was typing mine. image

But I'd rather hold on for a good offer instead. Permanent ownership (as opposed to temporary) means nothing at all to me, it's the catch and release game where all the fun is. Also, I don't mind owning a collection of upto a certain value, for a certain period of time. But when the value of this locked up in a safe deposit box collection is too high, it's bothering me, even if I don't need the cash, I'm not sure how to explain this.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>But when the value of this locked up in a safe deposit box collection is too high, it's bothering me >>

This is so true. What fun is it to have coins locked away in a safe deposit box? I have all of my valuable coins at the bank and quite honestly, I forget what most of them look like. Have coins become so expensive that my safe deposit box is collecting, not me? No easy solution IMO except to only collect inexpensive coins which isn't really a bad idea.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    Ajaan brings up another good point.

The other day, I was talking with a collector about the possibilities that he had of buying a certain coin from another collector. In the end, he tells me, and despite his current obsession with it, the coin will simply go from one safe deposit box to another, and the cash from one account to the other.

A good remedy to this situation is good coin photography. Which is why I'm always eager to pay talented members to have all the coins that I own well photographed, including some that I've only kept for a few weeks.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    I spent a long time picking up coins that appealed to me on that basis alone. Earlier on, I purchased a lot in volume - mostly random stuff with no thread.

Recently, I decided to consolidate my collection into a sort of 'top 100' or so. I found that this is the only way I can make sure that the appeal factor is significant enough to have the piece or just enough to push me to purchase.

I'm nowhere near down to 100 yet, but that's my goal right now. I think that's a good number for me, personally, to work with. I've heard so many US collectors talk about a top 20, but 20 is a ridiculous number for a darksider to work with, in my opinion. There's just to much interesting material for 20 to be a workable number. For me, the 100 does not imply a value, just a number. I have coins valued under $20.00 that would easily make it in the mix. The number just keeps me from getting out of control.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Rarely collect coins anymore, got all the ones that I've ever wanted, sold all my lightside album stuffers except the Gold. Now it's just beauty on round medal objects with a specialization in Victoria and Lions. Medals are rarer and more varied and IMHO much prettier. Most call it Theme collecting , I guess.image
  • Options

<< <i> The thrill of the hunt is bigger in some ways than the ownership.

No doubt about it.

But the real trouble comes when you wake up one day and decide that ownership is pretty apalling and goes against your moral beliefs. A pretty weird situation for a collector to be in, and to which I haven't found the answer yet. >>

I agree. I find myself on countless occasions condemming materialism and accumulation of 'goods' for pleasure and see myself doing somewhat of the same by collecting coins. But truly the catch is so much more fun, especially in the dark.
    Scott Hopkins
    -YN Currently Collecting & Researching Colonial World Coins, Especially Spanish Coins, With a Great Interest in WWII Militaria.

My Ebay!