Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does your collection say anything about you?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
I collect the early 19th century coinage of independent Latin America. The coins are as cool as they get, but collectors are few and far between, existing price guides are almost completely useless, catalogs are filled with errors and omissions, and counterfeits abound. In my mind, my collection indicates that I place an exceptionally high value on learning and adventure and an exceptionally low value on risk.

Tell us what you collect and what it says about you.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• I collect Morgans. I'm not sure what it says, but they did belong to my grandfather. So its more of a nostalgia thing then anything else.
  • mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I collect tarnished copper. Maybe I don't like things shiny and new. Maybe I never escaped the diaper stage of development.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it says I'm poor.

Russ, NCNE
  • 19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,470 ✭✭✭✭
    You don't wanna know what my collection says about me!

Especially when they think I'm not listening! image
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • LeianaLeiana Posts: 4,349
    I collect quirky buffalo nickels.

I think that says that I like to be different.

-Amanda

I'm a YN working on a type set!

My Buffalo Nickel Website Home of the Quirky Buffaloes Collection!

Proud member of the CUFYNA
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Modern medals. Viewed with derision by many collectors.

Collectors are few and far between.

I don't have to (or want to) spend much money on some very scare or even rare items.
    All glory is fleeting.
  • boiler78boiler78 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My collection says I am OCD!image
  • NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>My collection says I am OCD!image >>

That goes for everyone on this board!

• fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Buddy, can you spare a dime! image

I guess it would say I like artful coins. I have more Mercury Dimes than all my other coins combined. I love the design era where Teddy Roosevelt tried to improve the look of our coinage. Just look at the early 20th Century. (Not all designs were due to Theodor Roosevelt, but he did improve upon what we had. Barber coins are cool, but the three minor silver coins all had the same design--how original!)

Indian Cents
    Buffalo Nickels
    Mercury Dimes
    Standing Quarters
    Walking Liberty Halves.
    Indian $2.50, $5.00 and $10.00
    and last but not least the Saints!

Yup, I left the dead presidents off on purpose!

Look at the junk we have now.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mostly collect seated coinage.

This shows that I have an attraction and motivation to collect one similiar design.
  • WoodenJeffersonWoodenJefferson Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭✭
    My ever increasing junk box culls keep telling me that I keep seeing things that are not really there!

My other coins remind the culls that they are still mostly 90% silver and not to worry about it.

It's a never ending struggle for balance.image
    Chat Board Lingo

"Keep your malarkey filter in good operating order" -Walter Breen
  • mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    I started with MS morgans,(which I still like)image,But I have gravitated towards circulated bust halfs,

a real working -mans type of coin that served its day doing what it was intended to do.

I'm just letting the ones in my collection rest,(retire),maybe I'll get that chance some day too.image
    computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hate trees, love forests, collect everything.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Yes, I collect early (pre-1933) gold and that says that I am usually broke all the time. But a good portfolio for when I get twords retirement age. image
    imageCollector Of All U.S. Gold Coinage!
    Antique Soda Bottles And Antique Soda Related
    Advertising, and many other collectables!
    Life is too short, I might as well buy Gold while I'm still around!image
  • Heh. Do I even need to start, or does my nick say it all? My collection says I approach life with a single-minded, blinders-up philosophy of doing one thing at a time, and one thing only, to such excess as to be living on the ragged edge of flameout and implosion.

Pretty soon I'll be collecting only 1921-D's which have a small scratch on the fourth right star.
    Proudly upholding derelict standards for five decades.
  • My collection is just regular issue business strike coins, as many as I can get, hopefully something like 1934-date. It's a meat and potatos collection and I'm a meat and potatos guy.
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    mine say's "I'm Confused"

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • I collect war nickels, dimes, and modern dollars. I like short sets and small things. 'Course I'm short and small, too. Hmm, what does that say? Is this thread for people who look like their dogs or what? image
    "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore"

My Registry Sets
  • ima 1957 Model
  • PistareenPistareen Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Andy -- you've seen a decent cross section of my coin collection (though not my literature, currency, ephemera, or fiscal document collections). What do you think it says about me?

I think it would suggest that I love history, that I enjoy using my objects to teach myself and others, and that I'm willing to buy something just because it's too cheap.

• BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    I collected what I can't afford. It says I am willing to pay for beauty.
  • TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    My collection shows that I think small.
    Trime
  • shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Currently I am collecting silver British Commonwealth coins of George V's reign, Canadian dollars, and world 20 cent piece equivalents of 1875-78.

The collections tell me that I take my research on the British Commonwealth and the international coinage movement of the late 19th century far more seriously than anyone who may potentially read the articles I've been writing over the past 5 years. It also says that I have a predictable set to work on when the esoteric stuff isn't available.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Mine would say I like everything, and would buy anything. Trying to change that....
    The Accumulator - Dark Lloyd of the Sith

• RWBRWB Posts: 8,082
    My collection is mostly paper chips, bits of orange leather binding and the occasional very dried out silver fish caught in my shirt pocket while digging through archive files. As for coins, nothing as impressive as a P-1 Peace dollar. Pocket change is about as deep as it goes. So I guess that speaks to a certain richness of ideas and poverty of assets. (Geeez...these darn hair shirts sure do itch in summer...)

• << <i>I collect Morgans. I'm not sure what it says, but they did belong to my grandfather. So its more of a nostalgia thing then anything else. >>

Ditto on all counts
  • BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    It probably says that ..."I am an idiot".
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • If you were to see my collection it would tell you that I'm a confused pack rat...image

Herb

Remember it's not how you pick your nose that matters, it's where you put the boogers.
    imageimageimage
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    It says I'm broke.

-David
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to most of my non numismatic friends and family my collection of tiny 15mm metal discs says that I'm really weird. I'm ok with that.
  • mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine reflects a confluence of increasingly refined taste and disappearingly small budget. I think you would see a real emphasis on bang-for-the-buck. In my type set, this is reflected in things like 19th century pieces in choice AU or crusty XF, or in classic commems in 64.

You would also see that "nice to look at" is the single most important factor; a tour of my Jefferson nickel album, for instance, will reveal a lot of coins that do not have quite the luster to make 66 or even 65, or quite the strike to make FS, but you will see a lot of pretty, symetrical color and general freedom from marks and spots.

You will also see that I like to have a project to stay busy with, whether or not there is money. So, you will see that in the year(s) it may take me to save for a Flowing Hair half in VG or Fine for my type set, I have been busy with the aforementioned set of nickels.

Finally, you will see that my Excel spreadsheet of coins I have owned but do not own anymore is much, much larger than the sheet of things I own at present. Check it again in a year, and you will find that many of the coins I own now are gone then. I have discovered that I can afford to have many fantastic coins, if I do not have them all at once. I may have a OK coin collection, but it is not as good as the collection of coins I have owned before. I hope that only becomes more true with time.
    mirabela
  • yevrahyevrah Posts: 143 ✭✭
    What I've settled on is old mint sets with gold. There is a lot of variety of coins and designs. It can encompass Morgans, Seated coins, Indian Heads (buffalos, gold qtr /half eagles), the list goes on. Select 1 year per decade and you'll have opportunity to have all the designs.

But I still collect some Moderns too!

It says either: image
    I like variety
    or
    I can't commit.

BTW- I never married!! image
    yevrah/harvey

ebay ID: 78terp
    ANA # R-3143946

1899 Mint Set
  • DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>

<< <i>My collection says I am OCD!image >>

That goes for everyone on this board! >>

yup, i'd say thats a safe assumption

I collect mainly world gold issues. I love the designs, all of the different stately monarchs on them, and the feeling i get holding a coin from halfway around the world; from a place i've never been to.

<< <i>I collect mainly world gold issues. I love the designs, all of the different stately monarchs on them, and the feeling i get holding a coin from halfway around the world; from a place i've never been to. >>

so in summary, i guess it means i'm a bit of a romantic dreamer
  • marmacmarmac Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    mine would say "I can't seem to make up my mind"

though I have gotten better!!
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,891 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Andy -- you've seen a decent cross section of my coin collection (though not my literature, currency, ephemera, or fiscal document collections). What do you think it says about me?

I think it would suggest that I love history, that I enjoy using my objects to teach myself and others, and that I'm willing to buy something just because it's too cheap.

Pistareen - I would add that your collection exhibits your boundless curiosity, enthusiasm and pride in going where no man - sane, insane or just plain lost - has gone before.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The snapshot of my current collection would say I'm in over my head!!! image
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    I collect coins of Switzerland, therefore I am neutral and enjoy cheese and fine watches.
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    My collection shows that I am cheap and unable to focus. I am trying very hard (and slightly suceeding in) focusing on Morgan Dollars worth owning. BTW, a question was asked on a recent thread "What happens when you complete a series?" My answer is that you may upgrade in the future, but a complete series is a joy to own forever.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Literature for me - and for content only. I disdain fancy bindings and all the finery of the leather collectors. My library is full of Quarterman (and other) reprints, torn or missing dust jackets, card cover emissions, advance copies, xerox copies from the ANA & ANS, "value lots" from the literature guys, and all the free auction catalogs that you get for sending in invoice copies. OTOH, it is rich in research value. So I guess that says that I value knowledge before aesthetics (at least, the aesthetics of books).
  • bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have coins good to PCGS 68....foreign and US...I am a scatterbrain.
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• BigE2BigE2 Posts: 1,037
    The only thing I truly can say I collect is PAE proof sets. So I guess my collection sez I like the interest of the changing designs. Which is why I've started a 7070 set, just because of the different designs.

I've completed and sold my Indian and Lincoln cent collections. It's kind of weird: I used to collect Matchbox diecast by variation, just HAD to have every one! Once my Lincoln set was done, I was like: Huh. OK. Then I finished the Indians, same Huh. OK. Then I was looking at the Matchboxes one day and realized I had 10 of one model, all slightly different, but they all looked the same! Eureka! so did the cents! So I sold the coins and a bunch of the diecast(Still have some of the older stuff my Dad gave me stored awayimage)

I am awed by some of the folks on this forum who do collect by date, mint, VAM, die state, etc. Their pool of knowledge is endless and I know I am more knowledgeable for being here.
  • RYKRYK Posts: 35,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been struggling all day to answer the question, either truthfully or with a witty retort:

Does your collection say anything about you?

Quite frankly, probably very little. image
  • Mine says I accumulate stuff....
    Some call it an accumulation not a collection
  • Mine says, coin nerd.

• Mine says that I am a whored, I mean a hoarder.

Have a Great Day!
    Louis
  • ccexccex Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭
    My collection has a type set I've been working on for 20 years, a complete run of proof sets from 1952 to present, a few early commems which probably shouldn't have been issued., but mostly a bunch of circulated Barber coins (especially VF-AU dimes). I ignore Morgans, Saints, and slabbed bullion coins. This tells me I am a packrat who still strives for completion, despite my budget, but one who eschews the big flashy coins which are easily promoted.
    "Never attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by stupidity" - Hanlon's Razor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file