Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Can any of you medalists identify this piece?

Bought a bunch of Darkside material the other day and this piece was part of the mix. It looks like it's been rode hard and put up wet, but I'm intrigued. Anybody able to shed some light on the subject?

imageimage
danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."

Comments

• CIVITASCIVITAS Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭
    Prussian medal commemorating the Battle of Waterloo?

A google search of "preussen tapfern" medal turns up a vague reference to a Jstor article.
    https://www.civitasgalleries.com

New coins listed monthly!

Josh Moran

CIVITAS Galleries, Ltd.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would reference this from Wikipedia:

In 1813, following Napoleon's defeat in Russia, Frederick William turned against France and signed an alliance with Russia at Kalitsch, although he had to flee Berlin, still under French occupation. Prussian troops played a key part in the victories of the allies in 1813 and 1814, and the King himself travelled with the main army of Prince Schwarzenberg, along with Alexander of Russia and Francis of Austria.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where's elverno these days?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Following up on Josh's lead, I checked a reference. All there was:

Medal, 1814
    Copper (?), 29.5 mm
    Inv. - NR.: ?
    God was with us, it is the honour
    Prussia Kriegern

(Google translation did not seem to handle the FW monogram. Also, I would expect Kriegern to be a reference to war).

I think Josh got a better result from his google search.
    Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭
    ttt because I'm still curious image
    danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."