Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New arrival in the post

This beauty arrived in the post today from Torex image This is how it arrived.

imageimage

But it needs to go in hereimage

How do I get the little darling out of its plastic coffinimage

Comments

• Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW image Nice coin

Be very very carefull

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do you remove coins from those little circular spots for them?

• << <i>How do you remove coins from those little circular spots for them? >>

If you mean from the recesses in the trays. If you have finger nails you can hook them up carefully. Some recommend using the top from a Bic biro to hook them with. If you had the time and patience you could drill holes through the bottom of the recesses so that you could lift the coins from underneath.
    Gary
  • DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful coin, I love the coin cabinet, but......what on earth is a Bic biro?image
    Becky

• << <i>Beautiful coin, I love the coin cabinet, but......what on earth is a Bic biro?image >>

One of these. the pocket clip on the top is nice and thin

• Nice Crown and Cabinet.... image
  • Can anyone suggest a safe method of removing the coin from the slab barring in mind it's the best part of $1000 worth of coin image
  • AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    What a gorgeous crown !!! image
    I love the color image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.

• << <i>Can anyone suggest a safe method of removing the coin from the slab barring in mind it's the best part of $1000 worth of coin image >>

I take mine to work and cut the corners off with a band saw, then just lift off the top piece.
    However, I did see Lord M. use a different method at FUN show in '04. He walked out on the deck at our room, stuck the slab between two deck boards, rared back and gave it a swift kick!! image It worked! image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>However, I did see Lord M. use a different method at FUN show in '04. He walked out on the deck at our room, stuck the slab between two deck boards, rared back and gave it a swift kick!! It worked! >>

True story and it wasn't some cheapo coin either. It was a US $20 gold St. Gaudens coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • bosoxbosox Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭✭
    Very nice crown.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Thanks everyone. It is a very nice coin and there are not too many of them around, Davies quote 5-10 although as I personally know of 3 so I suspect the number is slightly higher . I guess by the time the auction fee was added I paid about Krause. All I need now to finish the set is the 1951, 1953, 1960, and 1965 VIPs, oh and a 1935 proof (not the raised edge).
  • MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,051 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would go at it with a bench vise. Tighten until you first hear some cracking, and then a wee bit more. Relax the jaws and rotate the coins 90 degrees and repeat. If it begins to fracture/splinter over the face of the coin....STOP. I would then proceed by locking into the vise and proceeding with a hack saw. Sometimes they come right out and sometimes they don't.....image
  • Absolutelly fantastic coin!imageimage
    Greek coin collector!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>However, I did see Lord M. use a different method at FUN show in '04. He walked out on the deck at our room, stuck the slab between two deck boards, rared back and gave it a swift kick!! image It worked! image >>

<< <i>True story and it wasn't some cheapo coin either. It was a US $20 gold St. Gaudens coin. >>

Actually, it was more of a gentle push down with my shoe until the slab cracked between the boards of the porch. Not quite a swift kick. It did indeed work like a charm, though. Crrrunch!

It was a US $20 gold but not a St. Gaudens. It was a 1904 $20 Liberty in an old PCI green label MS62 slab. Cracked it, submitted it to PCGS at the show, and it came back PCGS MS64. Cha-ching. That was one of my better cha-chings, actually, considering I didn't have much more than melt value invested in the coin. Bought it for something like $400, sold it for something like $1100. If I could do that once a week maybe I wouldn't need to keep a "real" job.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS- that is one gorgeous, gorgeous, '37 crown. Treat that baby like you would your first great-grandchild! Handle with care!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • HyperionHyperion Posts: 7,438 ✭✭✭
    beautiful coin !
    something like that ? Id never EVER have the guts to crack it.
  • I was a kick Rob. image You must have been still sleeping.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    I also remember it as a good swift kick!image
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com