Home Sports Talk

3000 or 500

im doing research into what is more disirable, 3000Ks or 500 homers?
which appeals to you, strike out pitchers or home run hitters?
i like both. that said, homeruns win more games than strikeouts.
and strike outs do not take seven innings before one occurs.
but what i'm really intersested in is who will be worth more in the long run?
the pitcher or home run hitter?

Historically:
Satchel Paige, Sandy Koufax, Steve Carlton, Bert Blyleven
or
Babe Ruth, Maris/Mantle

Modern:
Bonds, McGwire
or
Ryan, Clemens, Johnson?

I collect PSA 9, 1986-1989 baseball.

Comments

• Who will be worth more in the long run regarding what? Cards? Future baseball performance? More historical importance?

Hitting a HR is far more important than a pitcher striking a guy out(as you noted).

If it is card related, the top sluggers get much more of a following than the top pitchers do. There is no pitcher that comes close to the desirability of cards of Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Wagner, or Cobb.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO There is nothing like crushing a ball and knowing its gone, walking out of the batters box as you take a few walking steps towards first and jogging around the bases knowing everyone is wishing they were you for that moment. HOMERUN's all the way.....
  • AkbarCloneAkbarClone Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭
    As a funny commercial said (a year or two ago?):

Chicks dig the long ball

I collect Vintage Cards, Commemorative Sets, and way too many vintage and modern player collections in Baseball (180 players), Football (175 players), and Basketball (87 players). Also have a Dallas Cowboy team collection.

• << <i>Who will be worth more in the long run regarding what? Cards? Future baseball performance? More historical importance?

Hitting a HR is far more important than a pitcher striking a guy out(as you noted).

If it is card related, the top sluggers get much more of a following than the top pitchers do. There is no pitcher that comes close to the desirability of cards of Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Wagner, or Cobb. >>

well consider the same years as the sluggers you mentioned Walter Johnson, Christy MAthewson, come to mind... I guess that is it!
  • bri2327bri2327 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭
    I agree on the home run being far more important in the scheme of things, as well as the value of cards related to home run hitters as opposed to pitchers.

That being said, I was a pitcher, so I love the strikeout. There is nothing like striking out the other teams big hitter, or coming into a tie game with the bases loaded and getting 2 K's to crush a rally. Those are the moments that always gave me the biggest thrill as a player and a spectator.
    "The other teams could make trouble for us if they win."
    -- Yogi Berra

• WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I gotta go with the K

Steve
    Good for you.
  • thank you everyone for your input.
    this is a really cool place to get some opinions.
    can i run this by you guys?
    Do i have the gist of it?:

Error/Correct

As with any trading card, a 1/1 is worth more than 1/2500. Therefore, error cards are not necessarily worth more than their correct counterpart is worth. The value is in the availability of the cards. Nevertheless, error cards are usually more extraordinaire than the correct. For instance, when the printers discover the error, shutdown begins. Next, the designers initiate the destruction of the error cards existing on the line, packaging table, and on route to the grocer. Finally, the druggist at the LeMay Rexall removes the cards on the shelf. He is preparing to follow the instructions he received that suggested he return the product to the card company for a generous refund. Johnny bought two packs for $1.00 from Rexall earlier in the day. He unwrapped the error card. Mike bought a wax box yesterday from Rexall and received three of the error cards. Obviously, by now the public has discovered several errors. No matter, the production was halted. As soon as shutdown begins, the line returns to printing. At present, the plates are printing the corrected card and the line is roaring to make up for down time. The error, a difference between the player having been born in 1974 and not 1994, has shown up in every corner of the US. The card is a common player. The error is believed to be scarcer than the correct. Indeed the error was printed 2500 times before it was realized an error. The correct card was printed tens of thousands of times. In this example the value is in the fact that production limited the error to 2500 cards.
    I collect PSA 9, 1986-1989 baseball.