Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How do you best handle shipments of expensive items?

For shipments to eBay buyers overseas (assuming a country where there are no particular worries) where an item is $750 to $1000, how do you normally ship, given the items high dollar amount?

I could squeeze it into a global priority envelope at $5.25 for shipment to Western Europe but then there's no insurance and a rather weak physical presence (PO Global Priority envelope). Shipped with insurance, it'll be roughly US$20, reasonable in relation to the item's value, but I have qualms about listing the insured value on the package (customs forms), fearing theft. Should I just ship it appropriately and not worry? How would you ship to calm your nerves?
One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    Assuming you don't have an issue with the integrity of the receiver I would just send it Global Priority with a Certificate of Mailing...but even then you must still declare value. Insuring a package is essentially throwing your money away as the Postal Service will only cover the piece to our border. Your other options are DHL, FedEx, and UPS, but spendy.
  • Options
    If the value is over $400 you can use the multi-part PS Form 2976A, which goes inside a special packing list type envelope with the content detail, and only the top portion of the small PS Form 2976 has to be visible on the outside.

Instructions are on the reverse of the green form. Whoever wrote those instructions probably got fired from his job as a bureaucrat, because they are clear and concise, with no gobbldygook. image
    Roy

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Assuming you don't have an issue with the integrity of the receiver

So far, buyers have been upfront and cordial with me, regardless of their environs. I do 99% of my shipping online, through paypal and the USPS with delivery confirmation @ .14 each. I always have a dated printout from the USPS that the item was shipped.
    I always e-mail my buyers and let them know how it was shipped and that confirming paperwork is available.
    I have had some (seemingly) shady European and US buyers pay promptly when this fact was brought to their attention.

but even then you must still declare value. Well, that's my main issue...

What I can't shake is the insurance value being so prominently displayed. It's like a red flag to me that says steal this! You've seen the quantity of stickers they put on insured mail. Truth is, it's an unusually high value for me to ship and that's what causes my concerns. Oh, maybe I'm being too anal...

Postal Service will only cover the piece to our border. Eh, what!?image First I've heard of this- Scott, where does that information exist?

If the value is over $400 you can use the multi-part PS Form 2976A, Ahhh, I should have read that-thank you Satootoko!
  • Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    Of course, this is always interesting:

see #134- valuable articles
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Fixed the link image

Article #134 on USPS site
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    I've been having good luck with registered mail to Europe.

Assuming that neither is insured, which is safer or more likely not to be pilfered, the quicker less time in transit of global priority mail or the slower but (supposedly) more secure registered mail?
  • Options

<< <i>the quicker less time in transit of global priority mail or the slower but (supposedly) more secure registered mail? >>

The primary cause of slowdown in handling of registered mail is the individualized signing over on a piece-by-piece basis at every change of custody. The story goes that the Hope Diamond has been moved from place to place a time or two by registered mail. image
    Roy

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    For anything over $100, I only send non-US packages via registered mail. Under $100, the buyer has an option if they want the risk. I am at 22 countries and counting!
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    I would advise against Global Priority Mail. I've had some rather nice items (not coins) get "lost" between here and Japan. I will be starting selling again on Sleaze-Bay-Pay-Out-the-Butt-Pal™ in the near future, but I doubt I will ship anywhere outside the continental U.S.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.