Home Sports Talk
Options

More Free Agent Signing "Sickness" in MLB

BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just read on espn.com that the Orioles signed Danys Baez to a three year contract worth $19 million ($6.33 million a year). If true, this is amazing. Baez posted a 4.53 ERA in the NL last year. Granted, he had success in the AL in 2005, but six million dollars worth of success for an average or maybe above average set-up guy? No doubt, competition by Boston and both NY teams drove the Orioles to the exhorbitant figure. Just my opinion, maybe someone else thinks the O's got a bargain?

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danny Baez has not been even the smallest whisper in any Yankee rumors. Perhaps the O's are just plain stupid? It would fit the bill under Angelos ......

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And why not...the good ol' fans will just keep paying for it, right? Well, one of these days the fans will not want to pay for it any longer.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And why not...the good ol' fans will just keep paying for it, right? Well, one of these days the fans will not want to pay for it any longer. >>

Yup and until then, here's to spending more than the next guy image

Cheers!

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's to $5 warm beers.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's to $5 warm beers.

image >>

That's cheap for MLB!
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    People continue to insist this shows 'health' for MLB.

I disagree.

I see it as yet another sign MLB is in dire trouble...teams continuing to spend at breakneck and reckless ends is a troubling sign.

I love basbeall - always been my favorite sport, but it's in deep, deep trouble. I can honestly see in the next 10 years or so a good number (10 or so) teams having to fold.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

image >>

That's cheap for MLB! >>

Once we find out what the Sox pony up for JD Drew, make that $10 warm beers! image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

image >>

That's cheap for MLB! >>

Once we find out what the Sox pony up for JD Drew, make that $10 warm beers! image >>

Drew is asking for $14 million a year, probably 4 years, and I hear the Sox are going to give him close to that.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    So, where are all the 'we need a cap' guys now?

10 teams folding in 10 years? I think not.

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So, where are all the 'we need a cap' guys now?

10 teams folding in 10 years? I think not.

Steve >>

I'm fine with 10 teams folding. If a city can't support a team (ie Marlins) or the Owner is too cheap (TB), they don't deserve a team image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I think there are too many teams in MLB. The talent pool doesn't support this many teams, only thing keeping some of them going is revenue sharing.
  • Options
    WinPitcherWinPitcher Posts: 27,726 ✭✭✭
    I think so too. But 10?

1/3 of the league? the talent is out there. don't think it is not. do you want all 2-1 games?

Steve
    Good for you.
  • Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    People really want 1/3 of the teams to fold up?

I don't.

But as long as people think that the sport is 'healthy' and they turn their back on a cap, then that is the path we are on.

• Options

<< <i>I think there are too many teams in MLB. The talent pool doesn't support this many teams, only thing keeping some of them going is revenue sharing. >>

Stole my thunder..........I quit following the game several years ago when the talent level dropped and the salaries kept climbing. I have not been to a Reds game since they move into Great American. (Ticket prices+concessions+traffic+parking)+diluted talent=not a good value. If I want to catch a game I swing over to 5/3 Field and catch the Class A Dragons. Prices aren't too hateful and the games are fun to watch.
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers