Home Sports Talk
Options

Some baseball misconceptions that need to be addressed...

While I am having a good time debating the merits of some of the players of the past, I feel that there are some misconceptions, or misinformation that gets in the way of debating such things. The problem is, those things have to all be debated before the topic can be answered best. It makes for a clouded thread. So I am thinking, off the top of my head, of some misconceptions on the values of certain events in baseball that need to be cleared up better. Also, some comparative methods that need to be touched to. The second problem is that it takes a long time to do such a thing.

Anyway, come one time or another I would like to present a topic, and explain in detail the why's, and validity. The following topics or misconceptions need to be addressed.

1) The true value of not striking out...in other words, the value of a batted ball out.

2) Why people insist on using evaluative tools that flat out ignore very important aspects...i.e Batting average.

3) Giving the proper weight to each offensive event. Everyone knows a single is not as good as a 2B, 3B, HR, but that it is better than a walk. And any of those are much better than making an out(some people actually don't realize this part)! BUt by how much, and why?

4) The reasons why people are afraid to accept a flat out better and more comprehensive evaluative tool, and instead choose to use one that has many fatal flaws.

5). Measuring players within the context of the environment they played in, and translating that information for cross era comparisons. This one is very long, and I actually have an extra step that most measurements aren't ready for...and I'm not finished either image.

6) Wins for a SP...been covered often on here.

7) Why people prefer to use out-dated evaluative tools, like BA(sorry BA, not picking on you), because that is what has been preached since the beginning. There was a time where BA was higher in importance, but that is when the boxscores in the newspapers only listed AB, Runs, and PO for each player. Is that what we want to go back to to use as who was best?

8) The RBI! If RBI is measured and isolated with evening out the # of baserunners on base, the speed of said baserunners on base, the configuations of the ballpark that allows baserunners to score on outfield hits, THEN it can be a useful tool. If anybody uses RBI and ignores those vital facts just mentioned, then it is waaay overblown when isolating an individual...it then becomes partly a team stat.

9) The linear aspect of baseball offense that allows quantitative measurements to be dead on balls accurate...an aspect that is not existent in football or basketball. There is a lot of truth to the term "chess played on grass," as a scientific approach lends itself very well. The problem is that many like to measure it, but it just isn't done scientifically, and it leaves major errors.

It may be a long time before I could chew over these topics, but there are plenty of resources that cover it. I would read it all, then debate it, and this makes knowing it better. The first one is the Hidden Game of Baseball, and then that leads into Total BASEBALL. Some of the stuf in there is lacking, and the areas of defense are average at best...but they certainly give a good understanding. Finsih with THE BOOK..playing the percentages in baseball. Thats just my two cents if more detailed knowledge of the history and evaluative part of the game is ones intent.