Home Sports Talk
Options

Grossman should be benched.

This kid makes some of the WORST decisions I have seen in a long time.

Time to bench the kid.
EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions

Comments

• Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>This kid makes some of the WORST decisions I have seen in a long time.

Time to bench the kid. >>

Yeah, he's pretty sub par. Unfortunately, his terrible performance is going to overshadow the fact that Lovie Smith proved to the world that he's just another dumb football coach who refuses to learn how to do his job.

4th down deep in Pats territory, 4 minutes left, you're down by 7, AND your offense has not moved the ball all day, and you kick a FG? Unbelievable. And here I thought Rich Kotite left the NFL 10 years ago.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<< And here I thought Rich Kotite left the NFL 10 years ago. >>>

• Options
    AxtellAxtell Posts: 10,037 ✭✭
    Don't the Bears have Griese on the bench?

He was superb in Tampa...I think it's time to give him a shot.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>Don't the Bears have Griese on the bench?

He was superb in Tampa...I think it's time to give him a shot. >>

Their thought has been that Grossmann is the future of the team. They think its better for him to struggle at times and gain experience rather than the win now theory. I think they should do all they can to win now at 9-2. They should put the best player NOW in the game.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He was superb in Tampa...I think it's time to give him a shot. >>

Really? Why did they get rid of him then? I only remember that Griese kind of sucked in Denver.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>He was superb in Tampa...I think it's time to give him a shot. >>

Really? Why did they get rid of him then? I only remember that Griese kind of sucked in Denver. >>

Believe it or not he wasnt that bad down here in Tampa. He played pretty good.
  • Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This kid makes some of the WORST decisions I have seen in a long time.

Time to bench the kid. >>

I saw him play at UF and he stills looks the same. He really hasnt improved that much at all. He got away with alot of the throws hes making now when he was at Gainesville. Someone needs to tell him he is in the nfl.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Grossman will be fine, he's only started 17 games in his career. Relax zef, this was a meaningless game for the Bears, they will win the division, have home field advantage as long as they win in the playoffs.
  • Options
    joestalinjoestalin Posts: 12,473 ✭✭
    yeah, its easy to look good at home against the Packers and Lions. Bears schedule has been a joke...now they start to play
    some good teams and they fold. Rex is NOT a winner. Good thing that the patsies didn't let them off the hook!

JS
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    Grossman is still learning. I think he will get better, and become a first rate QB for the Bears. zef said it, he's still just a kid.

If I recall, there was more than one dropped pass that helped kill at least two Bears' drives. And maybe some potential points that could have made the difference in a pretty close game between two good teams? image

rd
  • Options

<< <i>yeah, its easy to look good at home against the Packers and Lions. Bears schedule has been a joke...now they start to play
    some good teams and they fold. Rex is NOT a winner. Good thing that the patsies didn't let them off the hook!

JS >>

You are such an inciter. Its funny.

They can only play who is on their schedule. They hardly folded today, or against the Giants. Today, they gave the game away. The Bears are a good team. Grossman is not a great QB by anymeans, but with their D they are in any game, kind of like when they actually played D in Tampa.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭

Looking back, Grossman should have stayed and finished his senior year with at Florida, Instead of entering the NFL draft. He was a "Chicago bench warmer" for most of 2003. And had the weirdest luck, breaking his finger in the last game of the year. Knee injury kept him out for most of 2004. And this kid broke his ankle in 2005.

Here we are, talking about a kid that "tossed" the third highest passer efficiency rating in the history of the NCAA!

Let's take a look at the 2006 season so far:

W @ Green Bay 26-0 (69.2% Compl %)
    W Detroit 34-7 (74.1% Compl %)
    W @ Minnesota 19-16 (56.1% Compl %)
    W Seattle 37-6 (54.8% Compl %)
    W Buffalo 40-7 (55.6% Compl %)
    W @ Arizona 24-23 (37.8% Compl %)
    W San Francisco 41-10 (79.3% Compl %)
    L Miami 31-13 (42.9% Compl %)
    W @ NY Giants 38-20 (60.0% Compl %)
    W @ NY Jets 10-0 (50.0% Compl %)
    L @ NE L 17-13 (44.1% Compl %)

9-2, not too shabby Rex!

rd

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the Broncos can bench a veteran QB who led them to the playoffs last year in favor of a rookie QB who's never thrown an NFL pass in the middle of a playoff run, I can understand why people want Grossman benched. I don't think it'll happen, at least not at this point, since Chcago is still 9-2 at the end of the day and virtually assured of home field advantage throughout the playoffs. Looks like the Bears have the same problem they had last year when they were winning in spite of Kyle Orton as their starting QB, though I think Grossman is more talented than Orton, so I think they're in better shape this year.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Just for the record, I watched this kid in high school, beat mine in the state playoffs, college and his entire pro career. He is on a learning curve and his teammates love him and support him 100%. I think sometimes Ron Turner tries to do too much with him. The best thing he can do is what he has been doing, let the criticism roll off his back. How soon we forget the struggles most good NFL QB's go through early in their career. As long as he has his team on his side he will eventually be fine, its the school of hard knocks and you have to go through them. He's excelled at every level and at times in the NFL.
  • Options
    Grossman is absolutely terrible...he's making horrific decisions, terrible throws, and is killing the Bears.

He needs to sit. Now. Let him get his head back on straight. If he plays like this in the playoffs (and there's no reason to suggest he won't), they will be a one and done team. Let Griese out there, get the offense taking some of the load off the defense.

I saw a stat that showed over the last 6 games Grossman's only completing about 50% of his passes and his passer rating is in the 50s.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    Axtell, couldn't disagree with you more about benching him. The entire team is behind him, in fact Kruetz said yesterday he is the most talented QB the Bears have has since he's been there. Has he played poorly at times, for sure but he isn't going to get any better sitting on the bench. He is just going to have to learn from his mistakes on the field. If he does they stand a good chance making it to the Super Bowl. If he doesn't at least next year he will finally have a full season behind him. The coaches, management and most importantly the players feel strongly about this. You yank him now and you will lose the rest of the team...but eh maybe that is what some here would like to see. image
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    They need to bench Grossman and get Drew Bledsoe. After a few games of getting knocked around, they can then bench Bledsoe and put Grossman back in. Drew can turn any backup QB into a superstar image
  • Options
    Grossman has played exceptional at times, yes, but when he plays bad - he's absolutely terrible.

I don't see how a starter can continue to make the mistakes he does and think he's going to get better. The mistakes he's making aren't from lack of playing time - they are just bad decisions. He's absolutely killing the bears...and they could easily be 7-4 right now instead of 9-2.

If they had 4 losses (like Denver does) would this even be a discussion? Wouldn't Griese already be in there?

• Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    I have to admit I don't know if he should be benched.

I have never been a big fan of Rex, but feel he has been pretty good most of the time. When a bad game happens it is hard to tell if the primary fault is with coach play calling, players not actually catching the ball, the reading of defenses by Grossman, or whatever.

As mentioned prior, if the Bears were NOT 9-2, or if the starting QB was the older and less counted on for the future, one in question, I would probably have stronger / clearer views. As of now I will leave it up to the highly paid professionals in management / coaching to make the call. I do hope it is a correct one.

This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2 of the INT's were great plays by the Pats. The one behind the TE was a bad throw. Can't blame Rex at all on the first one on the quick slant. He has been up & down, but the fact that he has good games 50% of the time is encouraging. Quite a few QB's don't have many big games - he has had 5 or 6 already. And it's not like Berrian, Bradley or Muhammad is pro bowl material - all average type players.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    halosfanhalosfan Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm all for the Bears letting Rex play. Being in Chicago for the past few years and having to read about them in the local papers/hear about them on the radio and TV I am glad they are actually talking about the offense up here! I know their bread and buter is the D but can't they drop a draft pick or 4 on some impact playmakers for this guy. Would A year of not drafting Dlinemen and Linebackers really hurt them?

Why isn't Hester on offense?

All that said I am a diehard Rams fan and maybe I got used to the Mike Martz way of "just go for it". Can the Rams get Martz back ... this new regime sucks!

Looking for a Glen Rice Inkredible and Alex Rodriguez cards
  • Options
    This kid has got major problems.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    3 more picks, they are up by 17, why wasn't Griese playing the fourth quarter?
  • Options
    Because Griese SUCKS. Rex will be fine.
  • Options

<< <i>Because Griese SUCKS. Rex will be fine. >>

haha good one. Why don't you look at how Griese performed in Tampa, and tell me again how you think Gross man is a better choice.

Good god rabid fans should be put down.
  • Options
    gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Because Griese SUCKS. Rex will be fine. >>

How can anyone be worse than Grossman right now? Even Big Ben is playing better than him...image
  • Options
    Griese was so STELLAR that Denver dropped him for Plummer and Tampa dropped him for Simms.

You are myopic. I have said in the past and will say so again for your comprehension that I am not a Bears fan but having to live with the coverage fo them I want a QB who will be gunslinger. I hate the 3 yards and a cloud of dust that this team has been for so many years. That type of offense does not appeal to me.

He is just past a full year of starting and the O-line and WRs still leave a lot to be desired.