Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways

Completed Tag "Focus on Classics (No coins after 1955, except from Frankies) Tag is done - than

FINAL RULES:

PLEASE NOTE SIGNIFICANT CHANGES!

Introduction: After some private comments and much thought, I have decided against the pricing "formula" concept that I originally posted. After all, I'm trusting you with $1800 worth of coins! The concept should simply be - BE FAIR. My idea of using PCGS as a base, and NGC at 92% and the rest below is still a valid guideline, but not a hard and fast rule. So, I posted what I think are fair values. You should attempt to match the same pricing level - just be fair about it. The same goes for the A and B list coins - just be fair about not taking a bunch of PCGS A coins and replacing them with a bunch of low grade junky stuff, OR putting in problem coins in Third World or "old" anacs holders without discounting and disclosing how you value them. I put in a couple of problem coins too - but I did disclose them.

The rules are as follows:
I, as tag host, will have final determination on the rules. If you have a question, shoot me a pm and I'll reply pronto.

The focus would be on classics - the "A" list:
All coins should be problem free, nice examples

All half cents, large cents and bust material, any grade as long as not a problem coin
All other type coins (except Barbers) before 1900, VG and better
The following cents, any grade in PCGS or NGC, new ANACS, or NCS holders: 1877, 08-S, 09-S Indian, 09-S Lincoln, 09SVDB, 14-D
All other cents 1914 and before, Fine and better
Buffaloes and before nickels VG or better
The following dimes, any grade in PCGS, NGC, new ANACS, or NCS holders: 16-D, 21, 21-D
All other Merc and before dimes Fine or better
SLQ's and Barber quarters VF or better (and pcgs/ngc/new anacs certified 32-d and 32-s washies)
Key date Barber quarters, any grade as long as in PCGS or NGC holders (96-S, 13-S)
Walkers, any grade in PCGS, NGC, new ANACS: 16-S, 21, 21-D
All other Walkers and before half dollars fine or better
Morgans - 1904 and before (no 21's on the A list) Fine or better
Peace dollars - 1921, 1928, 1934-S Fine or better
All classic commemoratives before WW2 (the last ones are 1939 and before)

Coins dated 1955 and before are defined as "B" coins, plus lower grade coins that are on the A list. "B" coins can be removed in unlimited numbers, but only inserted with a maximum of 1 B coin to every A coin taken out. This would prevent all the A coins being replaced by bunch of other stuff.

NEW!!! Coins not allowed to be put IN the tag, unless a member down the line is calling for them, OR if you PM me and get approval. These are coins that I do not collect, and have no way to move when the box comes back:
No darkside (sorry Musky!)
Lincolns after 1955
Jeffersons (yes-the tag is starting with one lot of 'em!)
Rosie dimes
Washington quarters (except for 32D and 32S)
All clad coins
Modern commems
Proof and mint sets after 1963

I may expand the "no fly" list later!

GOLDEN RULE GUIDELINE: For example, you take out 2 "A" coins and 4 "B" coins. You can put in any number of "A" coins, but only a maximum of 2 "B" coins.

"A" and "B" list coins - GUIDELINES!
PCGS graded coins = 100% of pcgs price guide
PCGS rattler coins = 105% of pcgs price guide
NGC graded = 92% of pcgs price guide
New holder ANACs coins = 88% of pcgs price guide
Raw coins and other grading service coins (and old anacs) would be valued at the LOWER of greysheet "ask" or 80% of pcgs price guide

Tag members can pm me for greysheet bid/ask prices if you don't have access to one (if the value is too low, you don't have to put the coin in)

I will have the authority to establish values for some other coins I am putting into the tag - such as sample slabs, etc. I'll post the values for the tag members to take or pass as they see fit. I can also establish approved values if you pm me with what they are.

NEW! You must PM me for approval of your proposed swap. I will respond pronto. After approval, you copy the list, make your edits, and post in the thread.

You have 1 week from date of receipt of the box to ship. All shipments must be by US mail, fully insured (amount TBD) and tracked. I'll list the tag members, and when you name is up on the list, you have 4 days to decide to take the box or pass. If you pass, you go to the end of the line for another chance at it.

NEW! TAG HOST WILL BUY YOUR JUNK SILVER FOR COINS IN THE TAG: You may "pay" for coins by putting in junk silver. Use my estimated values, and you are allowed (at $14.00 silver basis - will change with the silver market) - currently at 10X face for 90%, and 4.4X face for 40% halves (1965-69), silver eagles at $15.00 each, one ounce silver rounds and bars at $13.00 each. All junk silver stays in the tag, you may not take it out unless I approve for 'change" - and if it becomes too heavy, I'll ask for it to be shipped to me at my expense.

HOLD ONTO THE COINS YOU TAKE UNTIL THE TAG IS OVER! The tag will not be over and completed until I get the box back, and approve all raw put in it. For coins put in and taken before the box gets to me, they are automatically approved. This rule is for my protection - say if a raw coin is bad in some way, I want to be able to return it to the person who put it in. I would only do this in an extreme situation - counterfeit, whizzed, or other "bad" coin put in. I am not going to invoke it for low value or stuff close to melt value, etc.

Please comment or pm with questions!

And now, the tag order!

1. eyoung429 (completed)
2. ajia (completed)
3. jabba (completed)
3. Boom (completed)
4. Musky1011 (completed)
5. DocMortar (dropped for now)
6. TorinoCobra71 (dropped out of tag)
7. tggr (corrected my error of listing jabba twice) (passing for now)
8. BigJohnD (completed)
9. Millertime (completed)
10. Brdude (completed)
11.. ctgreatone (completed)

Mojoman requested to pass for now.

*** Sorry guys on messing up the initial list. If there are any more corrections, please shoot me a pm.

BigJohnD and Millertime - I slotted jabba ahead of you since Doc and Torino are in the Southeast. Hope this is ok with you!

I'll keep the list and who has the box in this fIrst post so you don't have to hunt through the thread.

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye

Comments

• MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    Sounds like a fun tag. Please count me in.

Millertime
  • ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Count Me In too.
    Seems a bit complicated, finding out values.
    Folks were complaining about the time needed to figure a simple tag (IMO), now we have to figure out 'A' vs. 'B' vs. 'C', where 'B' can't be more than the 'A' we take, & 'C' can only replace the number of 'B's taken, etc.

& if I get the rules right, in your scenario of "2 A coins and 3 B coins and 2 moderns.", we could replace these with 2 'B' coins & silver @ 8x face that covers the rest of the coins.

Can I bribe you to be first in line?

<< <i>Can I bribe you to be first in line? >>

No fair, I responded first!! Just kidding, any position is fine with me. The only time constraint I have is that I will be out of town from Dec 22-28.

Millertime
  • Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in too please

I love the classic's, I married oneimage

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Please add me.image
  • p8ntp8nt Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭
    It sounds fun, and I'd love to be included, but I don't think I followed that image
  • claychaserclaychaser Posts: 4,405 ✭✭✭✭
    p8nt - I can walk you through it. Please post your question so all can see the Q&A - I know the rules seem lengthy!

==Looking for pre WW2 Commems in PCGS Rattler holders, 1851-O Three Cent Silvers in all grades

Successful, problem free and pleasant transactions with: illini420, coinguy1, weather11am,wayneherndon,wondercoin,Topdollarpaid,Julian, bishdigg,seateddime, peicesofme,ajia,CoinRaritiesOnline,savoyspecial,Boom, TorinoCobra71, ModernCoinMart, WTCG, slinc, Patches, Gerard, pocketpiececommems, BigJohnD, RickMilauskas, mirabella, Smittys, LeeG, TomB, DeusExMachina, tydye
  • What about trading "C" for "C"? It appears that we can trade "C" for "B" but not "C" for "C".

Millertime
    Millertime - any trade C for C is OK!

• So just a quick overview to see if I have this right, values are assumed to be equal:

"A" for "A" (any number taken or added), x "B" for x "A" (equal number taken and added), NO "C" for "A"
    "B" for "B" (any number taken or added), x "C" for x "B" (equal number taken and added)
    "C" for "C" (any number taken or added)

Is this right?

Millertime
  • BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    OK JB, I'm in and for the record, tggr has previously been screened and approved by me.

Believe me, the man has some serious coins. Sounds like you gave this A LOT of thought. image

This tag isn't for lightweights, for sure. image
  • Sounds like a blast to me....Count me in!!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
    See current post in my thread. Posted here by mistake! OOps.

• The Doctor is in.

Take two "A's" and call me in the AM.
  • BigJohnDBigJohnD Posts: 329 ✭✭✭
    I think it's a good idea and would like in also.
    PM sent to BigJohnD

When are you gonna start this tag????image

Just wondering

Jim

I'm still thinking about making some changes to the initial proposed rules. I'll be out of touch tomorrow, but do plan on posting the "offical" rules by Sunday. Then I'd like all the people interested to pm me after they have read them, and I'll plan on shipping hopefully on or before Wednesday, December 6.

Please feel free to post comments, questions and what's on your mind (about the tag, that is!) here.

• Count me in!
    PM for info sent to jabba.

Will post final rules and coin list today for shipping tomorrow!

One change - no coins after 1955 (except for Frankies).

Makin' a list and checking it twice.

Mrs. claychaser has given me a honeydo list after return from her business trip. Will post the list and info on Sunday night!

$1800.00 box

I'm also making some changes to the rules as to what can go into the tag. Stay tuned.

Please indicate if you want to be part of the tag!

Price Greysheet
    Service Denom. Date Mint Variety Grade Guide Ask Factor VALUE COMMENTS

NGC 1.00 Morgan 1880 S MS63 46 0.92 $42.32
    NGC 1.00 Morgan 1883 O MS64 64 0.92 $58.88
    NGC 1.00 Morgan 1885 O MS64 64 0.92 $58.88
    NGC 1.00 Morgan 1885 O MS63 46 0.92 $42.32 REVERSE TONER
    NUMIS 1.00 Morgan 1887 MS63 46 38 0.80 $36.80
    PCGS .50 Franklin 1951 S FBL MS63 75 1.00 $75.00
    PCGS .50 Franklin 1952 S FBL MS63 80 1.00 $80.00
    PCGS .50 Franklin 1955 FBL MS63 35 1.00 $35.00
    PCGS .50 Franklin 1961 PF 67 50 .60 $30.00
    PCGS 1.00 Morgan 1885 MS62 UNIQUE VALUE $75.00 A PL CANDIDATE WITH A DISAPPOINTING GRADE
    PCGS COMMEM 1936 YORK MS64 260 1.00 $260.00
    PCGS GREE 1.00 Morgan 1883 O MS64 64 1.00 $64.00
    PCGS RATTLER 1.00 Morgan 1879 S MS63 46 1.05 $48.30
    PCGS RATTLER 1.00 Morgan 1886 MS63 46 1.05 $48.30
    PCGS RATTLER 1.00 Morgan 1900 O MS63 46 1.05 $48.30
    RAW .05 BUFFS VARIOUS NICE CIRC COINS-PICK EM AT 1.50 EA $10.50 OK TO PICK AS MANY AS YOU WANT @ $1.50 EA
    RAW .05 Jefferson 1949 S 28 COIN LOT ORIGINAL B.U. ROLL -PARTIAL $61.60 MUST TAKE ENTIRE LOT - NO CHERRY PICKING. ASK IS $88.00/roll
    RAW .50 Franklin 1949 D "FBL" XF 16 $16.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1949 PDS 3 COIN LOTCIRC 19 $19.00 TAKE THE ENTIRE LOT - NO SINGLE COINS
    RAW .50 Franklin 1953 P B.U. - I call it 63 24 $24.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1954 D B.U. - I call it 63 9 $9.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1958 D B.U. - I call it 63 7 $7.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1958 D B.U. - I call it 63 7 $7.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1960 P B.U. - I call it 63 8 $8.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1960 D B.U. - I call it 63 8 $8.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1960 D B.U. - I call it 63 8 $8.00
    RAW .50 Franklin 1962 PROOF I CALL IT 63 12.5 $12.50
    RAW .50 Franklin 1963 D B.U. - I call it 63 6.5 $6.50
    RAW 1.00 Morgan 1900 O I CALL IT 63 38 $38.00 COOL DIE CRACK ON REVERSE THRU "NITED ST"
    RAW 1.00 PEACE 1921 FINE 110 $110.00 A VERY NICE CIRCULATED EXAMPLE
    RAW 1.00 PEACE 1923 TAKE YOUR PICK-I CALL EM 63'S $26.00 FROM ORIGINAL ROLL BROKEN UP BY CLAYCHASER RAW 1.00 PEACE 1923 TAKE YOUR PICK-I CALL EM 63'S $26.00 FROM ORIGINAL ROLL BROKEN UP BY CLAYCHASER
    RAW 1.00 PEACE 1923 TAKE YOUR PICK-I CALL EM 63'S $26.00 FROM ORIGINAL ROLL BROKEN UP BY CLAYCHASER
    RAW 1.00 PEACE 1923 TAKE YOUR PICK-I CALL EM 63'S $26.00 FROM ORIGINAL ROLL BROKEN UP BY CLAYCHASER
    RAW 1.00 PEACE 1934-D BODY BAGGED - AU COIN38 $38.00 BB BY PCGS FOR QUEST COLOR, THEN DIPPED
    RAW COMMEM 1893 COLUMBIAN XF 10 $10.00
    RAW COMMEM 1923 MONROE XF 41 $41.00
    RAW COMMEM 1936 YORK VALUED at A.U.-SEE COMMENTS $180.00 BB BY NGC FOR CLEANING. A VERY NICE COIN - VERY MINOR CLEANING!

I'm still game!
    claychaser, can you describe how value is placed on problem raw coins?
    I am presuming these are acceptable? Problem coins in ANACS holders?
    Count me in too, Please

This will be fun

Jim

• I am ready. Let's do it.
    Posted the coins and the list!

All members - you need to re-read the rules in the 1st post. I made several changes!

ajia's question - problem coins have to be valued fairly. I valued a very slightly cleaned, but still body bagged by ngc, York commem at AU value. This is a very nice coin, IMHO, the cleaning was just not that bad. But to be fair, I disclosed and discounted it.

Tag members - please pm me for permission before putting in any higher value problem coins!

• tggrtggr Posts: 748
    add me to this tag
  • I asked to be in, but am not on the list... did I piss someone off?
    C'min to ya, Earl!

Packaged sent to eyoung429 12/4/06.

Registered mail RA173782955US

Flat rate box saved 2 bucks in postage.

Tag members - you must insure for FULL $1800 value. Registered mail with insurance will be cheaper than insured mail.

I'm good with the position I'm in. Just out of curiousity let's say the box contains absolutely nothing we're willing to trade for, can we opt out before it's shipped to us?

Millertime
    Yes. Just like ajia's tag, when your turn comes up you may take it or pass. No reason to spend $$ on postage if there is nothing or too little of interest.

Everybody must post what they took, put in and the current contents for the next person to see - no "pig in a poke" here!

• Ahem... ignored once again.

This is my 3rd request to be in this tag. The last 2 im assuming were overlooked...
    One of the tag members wanted to know:

Can any of the coins be purchased for cash? The answer is yes. If you want to use cash, or a combo of junk silver and/or coins and cash, just shoot me a pm with your proposal. If cash goes in, you can mail the money to me.

I'll adjust the silver trade factor based on the price of silver. I used a $14.00 per ounce basis at the onset, but the factors will go up or down based on the current price of silver when the trade is made.

Fixed tag order - forgot tggr, had jabba listed twice. See the 1st post.

My initial coins are mostly dollars and Frankies. I hope you tag members can mix it up with some bust or seated stuff!

Added ctgreatone - I left him off the list - see the first post.

I'll try to keep editing the 1st post for list updates, rules, and where the box is at.

The Pony Express still reports that the box has been "accepted". Sent registered/insured to eyoung on 12/5 - so still in transit somewhere.

• Just got home and got the "yellow" slip...package is waiting at the post office...I will pick it up tomorrow!!
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

The Pony Express has made it through!

• Have package in hand DROOOOOOOOLLLLLLL!!! Will post tomorrow on my decisions and have in mail Monday!

Earl, Glad youl like the goodies in the box.

Please remember to update the list with the ins and outs so ajia can confirm that he wants to take it. Ajia, please pm eyoung429 with your shipping info if you have not done so already.

Eyoung429 - I hope you can post some pictures of the diecrack Peace dollar and the 04 wannbeVAM and the old copper when you get a chance!

JB

eyoung429 should have my address & phone number from a deal we made in July, but JIC, I will PM the info again.
  • Ok, the day turned Honey-do....will go through tomorrow and choose and will post tomorrow evening and package will be in the mail on Tuesday.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

When you are done with your wife's list, come over and start on mine!

Ah man, make me wait another day! image
    Maybe 2 if he comes over to my house with a tool box!

Then BOTH of you can come over with the lawnmower, trimmers, hammer & nails (might as well get the most out of your visit! image )
    You guys can always come over tomorrow and shovel the snow off my sidewalk!!

Millertime
    I threw away my snow shovel when I moved to So Cal!