Home Metal Detecting
Options

Is there a decent detector under $200?

OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
I have zero experience detecting but you make it sound fun! I have limited funds (as you can guesss by the title of this thread) so what is the best choice or two for me?
Bells and whistles can wait. What is your recommendation?

Comments

• Options
    >><FONT face=Verdana size=1>Is there a decent detector under $200?<<
    >><FONT face=Arial size=2>I have zero experience<<

If you buy used...You can get a fare detector. At a yard sale I have seen good units for $20.00 ! !
    I picked up a Bounty Hunter 4 for the grand kids for $8.00. Not the best detector in the world, but good for a kid.

Watch E-Bay. Learn to know the "good" company names.
    What type of detecting are you going to do? Sand? Dirt? Grass? Water? Wood Chip? Ocean? Lake?

Do some looking for a local dealer in your area.

Good Luck

Jerry</FONT></FONT>
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thanks.
    I think I will so a lot of lake beach combing as well as exploring a few old farmsteads. What are some good brand names?
  • Options
    Go to the websites for all the different manufacturers and check out their lines. Fill out the free catalog offers and you'll get some full color brochures in the mail in a couple weeks. You'll see all the detectors in the price range you're looking for. I always buy new, for some reason I don't trust used equipment. Everyone treats their own possessions a little differently.

I'm still using the $150 detector I purchased 13 years ago and it's still working great! I've found coins, civil war relics, metal toys.........no gold yet, I'm still waiting on that! hhaha
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks. I think I will so a lot of lake beach combing as well as exploring a few old farmsteads. What are some good brand names? >>

Just a list: http://metaldetectorreviews.net/detectors/review_categories.php

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Wow! Great list. Thanks for the link. That is what I was looking for.image