Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

My 1901 halfcrown from Zarit arrived today (also, the ball's in the Darkside court on the Uno thread

The half crown is gorgeous and gemmy, with lots of luster not seen in the seller's picture.

Also, the small obverse scuffs are not as evident in hand- I suspect the lighting in the picture made them stand out more.

imageimage

Some of you who've been around will remember my experience when I met this seller in person at the 2004 FUN show. It's been fodder for amusing anecdotes. I did not know it was Jeff Zarit when I bought the coin, but I have no regrets on the deal as this piece is lovely.

Check out the feedback I left for him. I wonder how he'll react. imageimage

On another topic, I just posted a Spanish Colonial Mexico 1787 half real on the Uno Thread, so here is an opportunity for the Darksiders to strut their stuff and taunt the Litesiders with a little "keep away", unless one of them pops a Connecticut copper or some other colonial piece. Run with the ball, Darksiders!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    PreussenPreussen Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭
    Nice coin! I also like the feedback you left for Jeff image - Preussen
    "Illegitimis non carborundum" -General Joseph Stilwell. See my auctions
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

I've had similiar experiences with this dealer. I bought two raw coins from him on ebay. Both were described as UNC, but the pics were lousy, so I took a chance. Both coins ended up being very nice in hand and graded out at 64/65. So I was looking forward to meeting him at the ANA in San Francisco and thanking him. Visited his table and what a shocker. Never made eye contact and just sort of grunted something about being busy. In short, he's a d*ck, but has some nice coins!

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful Half Crown LordM image
    The feedback oughta get his attention image

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    Nice pick-up Rob, and the feedback brings back fond memories!!image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    MacCrimmonMacCrimmon Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭
    Buy something else, and leave this feedback....

"Nice coin. You still shop for shirts at Waikiki Tent & Awning?"image

Pity Joe Elliot still isn't around.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never met him, but I've heard he, ahem, lacks in personality. Bought from him a few times with nice results each time though. Great feedback!

Cathy

• Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    I have bought coins from him with very nice results, but I have also bought cleaned coins not described as such, which makes me understandably less eager to try him again.
  • Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've never met him, but I've heard he, ahem, lacks in personality. Bought from him a few times with nice results each time though. Great feedback! >>

I've dealt with him via eBay and in person. He does have a no nonsense (kinda gruff) personality. Coins were as described in my dealings.

Literally bumped into him (rather he ran me over) at the New Haven show this past summer. Not even an "excuse me", he's a big guy too. Watched him go through a dealers stock (Allen Berman's 40+ boxes) in about 30 minutes. Pulled out coins, set them aside, then when done "how much?", paid and he was gone.

edit: BTW, Milord nice coin!
    Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

Based on my one eBay transaction with this seller, I wouldn't accept a free coin from him. Only truly unpleasant experience I've had in over 500 transactions....

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image he has more feedback now image