Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Pillar $

Guess the grade?

Reverse. image
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obverse. image

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    I see a 1825 CAR 8R. Sweet coin. AU55
  • Options
    Gentleman this is the first time I have ever posted pics.....bear with me.

• Options
    Did I delete the jpgs? How do I upload the picture itself and not the jpg?

• Options
    WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    How do I upload the picture itself and not the jpg?
    In message post mode, click on the Image icon (4th button from the left) and insert the URL for the image file name that you want to appear.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yowzers, that looks like one hell of a Central American Republic! Can we see the other side?
  • Options

<< <i>Yowzers, that looks like one hell of a Central American Republic! Can we see the other side? >>

This is my first attempt at posting pics , which side can you see now?

• Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Yowzers, that looks like one hell of a Central American Republic! Can we see the other side? >>

This is my first attempt at posting pics , which side can you see now? >>

The side with the mountains.
  • Options

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    terrific coin... worthy of an AU grade

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

<< <i>terrific coin... worthy of an AU grade >>

Actually a PCGS MS 60, I will try to get a better picture to post!image

• Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    That is a coin that I have always been fond of.
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60 is alittle surprising... it looks as if it could be MS, but a 60 grade is not given all that often.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    This is a decent example of a very attractive design.

The 5 mountains represent the 5 constituent states of the CAR: Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador.

The Ceiba tree represents the CAR and the legend (somewhat optimistically) reports that it is "free, growing and fruitful".

BTW, the title of this thread is misleading. The CAR 8 Reales is not a "pillar dollar". The coin known by that name is the milled silver "Columnarios" 8 reales type issued by the Spanish colonial authorities 1732-1772, long before the emergence of the first Latin American republican issue (which was the 8 reales/soles type first struck by Argentine republican insurgents following their capture of the Mint at Potosi from Royalist forces in 1813).

The pillar dollar features the 2 crowned globes representing the Old and New Worlds united under the Spanish Crown, above the waves framed by the 2 columns (or pillars, which represent the Pillars of Hercules) and the words "Plus Ultra" ("More Beyond" i.e. there's a whole New World beyond the Pillars of Hercules and it is the property of the Spanish King).

You can see a picture of a genuine pillar dollar in the first few pages of the Red Book.
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Great looking coin. I really need to get one of those.
  • Options

<< <i>This is a decent example of a very attractive design.

The 5 mountains represent the 5 constituent states of the CAR: Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador.

The Ceiba tree represents the CAR and the legend (somewhat optimistically) reports that it is "free, growing and fruitful".

BTW, the title of this thread is misleading. The CAR 8 Reales is not a "pillar dollar". The coin known by that name is the milled silver "Columnarios" 8 reales type issued by the Spanish colonial authorities 1732-1772, long before the emergence of the first Latin American republican issue (which was the 8 reales/soles type first struck by Argentine republican insurgents following their capture of the Mint at Potosi from Royalist forces in 1813).

The pillar dollar features the 2 crowned globes representing the Old and New Worlds united under the Spanish Crown, above the waves framed by the 2 columns (or pillars, which represent the Pillars of Hercules) and the words "Plus Ultra" ("More Beyond" i.e. there's a whole New World beyond the Pillars of Hercules and it is the property of the Spanish King).

You can see a picture of a genuine pillar dollar in the first few pages of the Red Book. >>

Yes your right...I got my pictures mixed up with my post...I took some new pictures and will try to post pictures of the same coin.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>This is a decent example of a very attractive design.

You can see a picture of a genuine pillar dollar in the first few pages of the Red Book. >>

Yes your right...I got my pictures mixed up with my post...I took some new pictures and will try to post pictures of the same coin. >>

• Options

• Options

<< <i>image >>

Different camera and better lighting.

• Options
    Silvereagle82Silvereagle82 Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭
    This design is one of my all time favorites.... and they also have it in GOLD !!!!!
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Also one of my favorite all-time designs. Stunning coin. Yours has some nice toning on it! Congrats on the worthy addition to your collection.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

<< <i>Also one of my favorite all-time designs. Stunning coin. Yours has some nice toning on it! Congrats on the worthy addition to your collection.

imageimageimage >>

hanks!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    'Dat ain't no pillar dollar, but it's a helluva nice coin!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.